Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

thoughts on fire bug and misc

Author
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby synthetic » 04 Jun 2010, 20:01

Some of it is about what Ive posted here before, but there is something else that popped to mind the other day.

First we saw beginners (as experienced players fixed this issue as it was more of a massive hindrance rather than of any benefit) have trouble with multi-core processors, shooting in bursts _and_ warping big time. I played on dualcore for a year or two before my game actually figured out I have more than one core, dont ask me how.

However, as this clearly made the game unplayabe most googled the way to fix it or figured it out by themselves. Im sure some quit though, going to the few good games that dont have this issue, because there actually are popular games out there that need to have the affinity to set to single core, as well.

Then, as we know, more and more people with the fire rate bug popped up. I know probably 10 different beginners with fire bug, and I disregarded it somewhat as they are not really a threat and Im no magician to fix this metabolic end product for them myself. When it came to my attention that an ex renegade used this bug (which disturbed mainly because he was a friend and an ex clanmate of a clan I kept cheat-free to my best abilities, in game performance was secondary and I was pleased to see that even with the bug I could do well against him) I looked into the problem more thoroughly - a whole new world opened before my eyes. I heard from a close mate that he too has the bug but without making a fuss of it he simply capped his fps to a rate he found similar to the default. While that put the number of skilled players with the bug to 2 it went on to reveal 1-2 (?) FGS members who had this bug and fixed it themselves, putting the number of experienced players with the bug to around 4. I think I saw someone else with the bug too, but what is interesting here is that they are all 0augers. At this point I do not know a single auger (and there are FAR more skilled players active in atdm than there are in 0augs as of this point, I can only think of 2-3 skilled 0augers today) who has admitted having the bug or mentioned anything about fixing it.
What makes it even more interesting is that because the level of competitiveness is so much higher in atdm due to its complex and demanding nature, players are more prone to upgrading their hardware, if they havent done so already for the other games they may be playing. This is making me somewhat suspicious, especially considering how it is so simple to view this as a reasonable advantage that simply upgrading the hardware gives. In my eyes there cannot be a question whether achieving firerates or any other possible benefits beyond the game's intended _default_ can be considered cheating or not. I will casually exclude binds from here as they do not require additional expending or higher system requirements. They are there for everyone equally, understanding them is part of the game knowledge, much like realizing that ladders make you invisible and may create a situation where admin can kick or ban you.

SPAZ ROFELZ
MOMOMONSTERSPAM
MOMOMONSTERSPAM

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby SPAZ ROFELZ » 04 Jun 2010, 20:10

You can cap y0 fps bro

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby synthetic » 04 Jun 2010, 20:14

Oh and I forgot to mention that on top of all that, when I discovered so many who had fire rate issue (which, please do note, does not necessarily make the game unplayable for _you_, not at all), after a clean reinstall of dxmp I noticed I can shoot faster after 200 fps or so as well. That was pretty entertaining.

You can cap your fps by why should you, were you to see this as an edge over competitors? Some people dont want to play under 200 fps as it is.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby ShadowRunner » 04 Jun 2010, 20:52

I didnt really notice shottime, but firerate I dont notice much except one or two players, warping is the same for me, lag is the most often problem i see.
It is definitely an issue ideally the community should solve, since dx is getting older and perhaps windows XP will be like DOS games on windows was.
It is annoying that players knowingly bug, if there is no technical solution, its a minefield to admin, some players warp for other reasons. Arent there throttle mutators etc, if a player is killing too quickly etc, something like that... In SG fps is so low it doesnt matter I guess.

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 04 Jun 2010, 21:01

I think players are unable to enjoy the advantages of firerate bug in ATDM, it might even be a disadvantage due to the complexity of the gametype..?

Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby Mastakilla » 04 Jun 2010, 21:16

I believe if a player has a too strong processor which will enable him to bug the fire rate, the game will be unplayable for him aswell. I did notice a couple of players with abnormal fire rate and stuff but usually they'd move weird aswell and seemed to be struggling as it is, they're not hard to take out, and thus this isn't a problem. Only for them, and they should look things up to fix them, but I don't believe they have an advantage at all. Not worth complaining about IMO.

It's like playing against a player with massive lag, first he doesn't shoot at all and then all the sudden a spray of bullets confront you. Whoopty woo.

SPAZ ROFELZ
MOMOMONSTERSPAM
MOMOMONSTERSPAM

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby SPAZ ROFELZ » 04 Jun 2010, 22:18

I had the fast fire bug on my machine, looks like the game is going very slow but you winrar. Got rid of it because it was annoying as *love*. Took me a grand total of 5 minutes playtime on this machine before i detested it

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby synthetic » 05 Jun 2010, 01:06

SPAZ ROFELZ wrote:I had the fast fire bug on my machine, looks like the game is going very slow but you winrar. Got rid of it because it was annoying as *love*. Took me a grand total of 5 minutes playtime on this machine before i detested it

I had the slo-mo ONCE couple years ago but from what i hear its more common on laptops. Ive had faster game issue as well, I literally had over 2000 fps or so, constantly. I did not notice ANY advantage in either.

Nick the warping sitting-duck players are with the processor bug and theyre all beginners, I had the same issue after reinstall. After I fixed processor core affinity for dx I still have faster fire bug.

Jima B
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby Jima B » 05 Jun 2010, 01:42

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:I think players are unable to enjoy the advantages of firerate bug in ATDM, it might even be a disadvantage due to the complexity of the gametype..?

This.
The reason 0-augers do it and ATDMers don't is because it holds no value in ATDM. It only appears to effect particualr hitscan weapons, that are constantly used in 0augs but don't matter too much in augs.

Everyone in DX is bound to be guilty of some cheat or other though. Who hasn't ever EMP jumped, lambugged, fire-rate bugged, custom binded, worked with a faster fire rate, Rmoded, behindviewed, or worse?
That said, the fire rate bug, is one of the dirtier tricks.

~DJ~ wrote:ANOTHER ONE TO QUOTE ME ON THE SIGNATURE. SOON... I'LL BE TAKING OVER EVERYONE'S SIGNATURE! Mwhahahahaha!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby synthetic » 05 Jun 2010, 02:46

Forgive me if I am about to stomp on your post, it is close to 4am and I am somewhat tired.

The reason 0-augers do it and ATDMers don't

There is no particular reason in this case, we just dont hear anything about it.

It only appears to effect particualr hitscan weapons, that are constantly used in 0augs but don't matter too much in augs.

All weapons used in 0augs are EXTENSIVELY used in ATDM, and MORE in atdm than in 0a. The only difference being that certain other weapons get play time as well.

Label bugs as such and were on to something:

a) Bugs that everybody can use in the game without changing anything, spending anything

1) entertaining and / or useful bugs (nade jump, you TRAIN to jump, using nades available to EVERYBODY. You dont do more damage or become stronger or invisible)
2) severely game breaking bugs (complete invisibility for no reason with ladder bug)

b) Bugs that are available only to selected few, regardless of whether they are ban-able offense or simple fun.

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 05 Jun 2010, 11:01

Hidden wrote:All weapons used in 0augs are EXTENSIVELY used in ATDM, and MORE in atdm than in 0a. The only difference being that certain other weapons get play time as well.

That depends on playstyle. I personally use DTS and GEP a lot to get some streaks before I switch to rifles. But I have seen people constantly running around with plasma guns and throwing knives as well.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby synthetic » 05 Jun 2010, 12:21

Shuriken is hard to use efficiently and is extremely vulnerable against plasma, for this reason there are zero dedicated knifers playing atdm today and only a couple players use it quite a bit. Rifle styles absolutely dominate the scene and have done so since ive played. Im fairly certain fire bug applies to shuriken the way it applies to ck and dts as well. (tbh I think it applies to all weapons).
Gep is pretty much a common streak up weapon but to use it as your primary or secondary weapon? You dont see that a lot, it is in fact a weapon rather hard to use efficiently due to its weight, fire rate, and the very existance of ADS.
Similar things apply to other weapons as well making the rifle sound pretty much constant in atdm, the fights last longer there and as such you may well need more rounds than the clip has, to kill an enemy. This means you will be shooting your enemy with your rifle considerably longer sometimes.

Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby Fear » 05 Jun 2010, 16:20

In 0 augs, people who exploit the fire rate thing tend to spam the assault rifle at any given opportunity, all it takes is a shimmy to the side and a snipe to the face as they are extremely predictable with the crouching and all... just gotta be that extra bit quicker to do this against a better player

2004-2014
Hammer[HK]Time!
Mr Exclusive
Mr Exclusive

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby Hammer[HK]Time! » 05 Jun 2010, 22:16

Everyone in DX is bound to be guilty of some cheat or other though. Who hasn't ever EMP jumped, lambugged, fire-rate bugged, custom binded, worked with a faster fire rate, Rmoded, behindviewed, or worse?
That said, the fire rate bug, is one of the dirtier tricks.

Nade jumping, custom binding, and behindview are in no way cheating.

Just sayin

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: thoughts on fire bug and misc - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 05 Jun 2010, 23:11

In DX, there's no proper way to define cheating. Some people consider firebugging cheating, some think the same about medbinds. What you think of behindview and nade jumping is just your opinion about the subject.

Return to Deus Ex