No votes

Total votes : 13

Author
Master of Puppets
Master of Puppets

Nationality:
Poland

Re: Time on 0 augs server - Postby Khaamilus » 09 Mar 2012, 00:37

Yes, Im Polish, but dont get it why You want to add me to this map? :?

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Time on 0 augs server - Postby [FGS]Chees » 09 Mar 2012, 01:02

I'm a new/noob/newbie mapper as everyone knows and failed to even take in to consideration everything I just said in my last post when making maps. Is this the case on this map when many mappers have worked so long on it as stated! if so then...I'm lost for words. still a good map and made very well just bring some life to the party. My 2 cent.
(I learn from my mistakes by others pointing them out and guidance from professionals along the way that's why Beta versions exist)

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Time on 0 augs server - Postby chin.democ. » 09 Mar 2012, 01:54

Haha good joke Khaam! :-D

Chees there are lots of mappers that don't add those last few hours on a map to make it really shine, lots of people fall into the trap of releasing maps too early because they get sick of working on it. Patience is needed when mapping, you don't need to rush maps, also notice how little time the DryDocks map had in beta phase, one week max, not long enough in my opinion.

A good trick is to juggle between maps when one map is getting really a struggle to work on. Also don't be frightened to cancel maps completely if they are not going the way you originally planned. I've just resumed work on map that I started almost a year ago!

I would say a good system is to have the basic elements of the map complete, the main structure of the map done and with all the necessary bits like proper weapon boards (default or custom), enough player starts and medkits. then you can host the map as beta1.

While the map is hosted and getting valuable feedback, you should be adding the more subtle details to the map and perhaps improving/ changing parts based on feedback (perhaps adding a vent in a room for another quick exit for example). The map can now be hosted as beta2.

Further betas should really lay on the detail each one should have notable improvements, lighting should be perfected, even when you think the map is finished it should still be hosted as a beta, until that "finished" beta has enough hours play and nothing is found wrong with it only then should the map name be changed to it's final name.

It's a fairly lengthy process but one that gives you a (hopefully) bug free well tested map.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Time on 0 augs server - Postby ShadowRunner » 10 Mar 2012, 13:49

In the beginning it's about fixing mistakes, but later on it's more a case of balancing ideas and different ways to play the map.
Maps are often screwed up before the first subtraction is ever done. Sometimes also it's not the mapper's fault, but the players feedback not being very useful or correct sometimes. Working on other people's maps and mods taught me a lot, everyone had something different to teach me.

Return to Deus Ex