Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

HowTo get vsync to work

Author
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

HowTo get vsync to work - Postby synthetic » 26 Feb 2013, 07:48

By default, vsync generally comes with Mouse Input Lag for gamers.
While I have to test this more extensively, I believe I got vsync to work fairly ok.

This is particularly important for players on slower 60hz LCD monitors, but the lag is there even for 75hz and probably higher rates, if the first following steps are not taken care of.

1) Enable vsync

Generally, a player experiences horrible mouse lag at this point, ranging anywhere from aiming with a dildo to just very stoned aim.

2) Cap fps in renderer, either 0.1 frame below refresh rate (works in css and some other games) or 1 frame below refresh rate.
Note: I have my doubts about the stability of renderers in dxmp (openGL being unable to properly cap fps, for example) so its not unlikely that you need better renderer or have to cap 10 frames below refresh rate in opengl. For now, I bordered with 59fps cap at 60fps vsync.

Player should now experience significantly less lag, but it still feels laggy.

3) Disable triple buffering -- I forced it off in my control panel, but some renderer variable might work, it is just that I didn't notice a line for OpenGL where D3D variants seemed to sporadically have it. Probably possible to add it manually.
Note: Disabling TripleBuffering will halve framerate if your computer struggles with maintaining vsync cap. It is generally advised to disable it in combination with vsync in order to reduce lag, and is one of the first solutions mentioned all over the internet, but on old hardware you might take a worse performance hit.

You should only have a little bit of lag at this point, particularly felt if you are used to 100+ FPS caps. On LCD monitors with 60hz refresh rate it is going to be harsh because ~120 fps cap is desirable for smooth aim.

4) If you have 120hz refresh rate, you can try setting SwapInterval in your renderer conf in DeusEx.ini higher than 1, SwapInterval=2 will cap FPS 1/2 by showing every frame twice; probably good idea for DXSP!
Note: Original statement here was based on false feedback from another gamer; every value above 1 will decrease the fps divided by that number, making the image smoother. This may not properly work on ATI cards.

If you have a 60hz monitor then ultimate fix to mouse lag would be to get highly expensive LCD or go back to CRT.

Hopefully this helps other players as well. If sufficient amount of players get DXMP to work on vsync, then it may be desirable to enforce vsync on public servers in order to fix DXMP acceleration. However, 120hz vsync should be tested for traces of acceleration, with scope or other timers, and the usefulness of higher swapinterval values remains unclear at this point.

I stand by my point that by enabling vsync DXMP felt like it did 9 years ago -- scope worked like dx scope should, and so forth. On today's hardware the game is running like Forrest Gump; or Oscar Pistorius, if you prefer.

Last edited by synthetic on 27 Feb 2013, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Khaamilus
Master of Puppets
Master of Puppets

Nationality:
Poland

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Khaamilus » 26 Feb 2013, 19:17

synthetic wrote:Set SwapInterval in your renderer conf in DeusEx.ini to a higher value, iirc every number above 1 representing one frame above refresh rate. I've tried so far with SwapInterval=20 and SwapInterval=60

How can you set SwapInterval to for example 60,20 or 30? It will have no difference, because it represents only three functions:
set SwapInterval=0 for vsync off
set SwapInterval=1 for vsync on
set SwapInterval=-1 for deafault.

Alessi
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
Malta

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Alessi » 26 Feb 2013, 20:41

synthetic wrote:Generally, a player experiences horrible mouse lag at this point, ranging anywhere from aiming with a dildo to just very stoned aim.

lmao :bwahaha:

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby chin.democ. » 26 Feb 2013, 22:07

I noticed something odd today when I lowered my graphics Whiplash's firing seem to almost double to when I played the game before with high graphics. :-k

Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Whiplash » 26 Feb 2013, 22:35

Then I suggest putting your graphics back up :bwahaha: :mofu:

I'm starting to agree, though, that DX isn't as fun as it used to be. I just played a round in - you guessed it - IceWorld. Again. For what seems like the millionth time. It's getting to the point now where there's a hardcore of players that only want to play in microscopic maps, like Iceworld and Pool, Sniperbox and Scoutsknives. So much so that when the Iceworld round ended and we went to Silo, everyone but the FGSes left. #-o

Seriously, only bloody IceWorld? It's not even a proper Deus Ex map IMO. There's nothing but grab a gun and start shooting, and hope that you don't get blindsided. Whereas a good map is like Deus Ex, with multiple paths - some more low profile than others - offer a lifeline to a weaker team, crappy maps like Iceworld (by virtue of their simplicity) exacorbate a problem of one team stronger than the other, in the case of Iceworld by an insane degree. Twinz is good here because each of the 3 towers has multiple exits, a front/open exit if you're feeling cocky, one or more back exits if you're outgunned/feeling sneaky. Iceworld has no explosives, nothing to multitool/lockpick, no turrets, nothing to explore. It doesn't even have a f***ing skybox for gods sake.

But this is all some people want to play :clout: I seriously don't get it.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
Majster
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Poland

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Majster » 26 Feb 2013, 22:40

Yes, popularity of Iceworld is pretty sad. :(

ShadowRunner wrote:There's paranoia and anger everywhere about fps, people are taking 0a FAR too seriously, liven the game up and make it more fun for EVERYONE. (and me and Chees lol)
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby ShadowRunner » 26 Feb 2013, 23:43

So to recap...

1. dodgy shooting.
2. dodgy spawnrooms or maps that are just one big spawnroom.
3. No grenades or dodgy annoying gas plants. You have to vote CMD to hear an explosion these days.
4. Virtually all of SP elements removed, except on RPG servers. Augs removed too.
5. Dodgy graphics.
6. Endless arguments between top players, totally ignoring the needs of the beginner.

Isn't it about time that people gave up on trying to make this a fast shooting game and realized DX is the greatest ever single player game and that it won't kill these guys to incorporate a little more SP functionality into the MP game.

Let me ask you a question. If DXMP team in 2001 were able to add SP functionality in MP, do you think they wouldn't have done that. No-one is talking about denying top players their fast game, but why deny the beginner even a spawnroom? It's just basically idiotic and robbing people of their opportunity to play DX online, instead you give people spawnrooms that are facing each other and ONE option of rifle or assault weps, being the only realistic option for survival. In DXSP you get many more choices.

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby ~DJ~ » 27 Feb 2013, 01:37

I hated close-range fighting BEFORE it was hated! :-D

SERIOUSLY THOUGH. This issue isn't new, I'm not reading these posts.. it happens on all games, PC gaming that is. People with better computer have better performance.
Similarly if you have better Internet connection, then you're better.
Why isn't anyone talking about connectivity issues right now? (The 'hype' of consoles. People whine about "LAG" they're experiencing every time they get killed)

We used to ignore it before, why bother with it now?

If you have a problem, stick to other options. You have a long-range weapon, stick to that.
On small maps like IceWorld, let others be the 'tank', you can stay at a range from the enemy and use Rifle.
You also have Gas Grenades, or other options, such as Turrets.
You can use stealth, really, sneak up on people and hit them with a DTS on their faces, that's how you can counter short-ranged fights.
Enjoy it because it's like this on ALL OTHER PC MULTIPLAYER GAMES. (Though I do admit that it'd be a tad bit less and adjusted on newer multiplayer games, but all new games sux so)

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby synthetic » 27 Feb 2013, 08:08

Relied on faulty information instead of doing proper reading myself. SwapInterval values above 1 do work, but they work by dividing your FPS by that amount to provide 2x or 3x etc smoothness. I would actually fully recommend SwapInterval=2 or 3 for DXSP, actually, but I really doubt now that it does anything but causes new problems in dxmp.
It also seems that at some point the higher values may not have worked on ATI cards.
Best way of reducing mouse lag will be to play on a better than 60hz setting.

Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Whiplash » 27 Feb 2013, 20:36

~DJ~ wrote:I hated close-range fighting BEFORE it was hated! :-D

SERIOUSLY THOUGH. This issue isn't new, I'm not reading these posts.. it happens on all games, PC gaming that is. People with better computer have better performance.
Similarly if you have better Internet connection, then you're better.
Why isn't anyone talking about connectivity issues right now? (The 'hype' of consoles. People whine about "LAG" they're experiencing every time they get killed)

We used to ignore it before, why bother with it now?

If you have a problem, stick to other options. You have a long-range weapon, stick to that.
On small maps like IceWorld, let others be the 'tank', you can stay at a range from the enemy and use Rifle.
You also have Gas Grenades, or other options, such as Turrets.
You can use stealth, really, sneak up on people and hit them with a DTS on their faces, that's how you can counter short-ranged fights.
Enjoy it because it's like this on ALL OTHER PC MULTIPLAYER GAMES. (Though I do admit that it'd be a tad bit less and adjusted on newer multiplayer games, but all new games sux so)

For me it's a bit like the "boiling frog" problem.

If you throw a frog into boiling water, he will jump out immediately. BUT, if you put a frog into lukewarm water and slowing bring it to the boil, the frog will just stay there. He won't notice what has happened until it's too late.

So be me and 0 aug. It all started with the takedown of GODZ server back in 2006/7 which saw the end of 20mm and instagib rilfes in 0 aug. Then, some years later, the last 0 aug server that allowed LAMs ceased to do so. Again, slowly and almost imperectibly over time, the simple maps became more and more popular, IceWorld was once played only occasionally, e.g. once every 5 maps with others being A51, Smuggler, Zan Goh, old RTKM maps like Moeina etc. It's only recently that things have got to the stage where people only want to play maps like IceWorld, Pool, NoChances SniperBox and ScoutsKnives ](*,) e.g. the last 6 months that I've noticed it anyway.

That's why I'm now compaining with the intention to maybe *do* something. But, like the frog in the slowly boiling water, it may be too late.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Magus » 27 Feb 2013, 21:38

Sorry for releasing Scoutzknivez then =(

-- Magus "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Feb 2013, 23:17

I don't count Scoutz in that category at all.

I feel Iceworld and Snow fundamentally flawed, but nothing wrong with Pool or MiniDust, but the issue is repetition.

Fear also makes a complete idiot of himself if anyone votes A51 or CMD, ridiculous amount of spam/complaint if ppl vote them, and it stretches on through to the next map, which I find wrong. I didn't even vote, but clearly more people wanted A51 and CMD than Pool that night. He's probably rubbing people the wrong way and they are deliberately voting larger maps.
I've tried explaining to him, that people vote what they want to vote.

I see a big problem that some people do want 100% of the time to be on tiny maps and can't live with the fact that others want variety.

DJ's post is brilliant, but human nature will always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, meaning, it's not what people can do to defend themselves, but the knowledge someone is cutting corners that demotivates people.

Psycho
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Afghanistan

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby Psycho » 28 Feb 2013, 23:49

What's wrong with Snow?

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby synthetic » 01 Mar 2013, 18:10

Iceworld and Snow both are fine, although Iceworld is admittedly sub-par and should rather exist as an example to all mappers instead of being an actually used server map. Snow on the other hand is actual map with atmosphere and all necessary elements. A small map, but a map. Much better than most other custom maps created before DXMS or chinny's releases.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Just not the same anymore - Postby anax » 01 Mar 2013, 22:36

Small maps imo should echo the likes of Smuggler, Mini_Dust and Snow2, those maps do what iceworld does as a small fast fighting map but far better because of more variation in map design and single player elements thrown in.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!

Return to Deus Ex