Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

FGS Mapping Challenge - Whiplash entry, more detail

Author
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Whiplash entry, more detail - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 14 Jul 2013, 00:16

Vexus wrote:You don't think that armory is a tad bit excessive?
No, since this armory lacks superrockets!

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
Psycho
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Afghanistan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Whiplash entry, more detail - Postby Psycho » 14 Jul 2013, 01:11

Looks like a zXc map

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Whiplash entry, more detail - Postby [FGS]Chees » 14 Jul 2013, 01:32

It looks very much like a ZXC map. Bland and very open. Look into custom brush work like stated before to give it much needed detail. In the amount of space you have deco wont cut it, get creative on the mapping side to bring it to life and reality. 4 walls and a roof...give it some life Whip, a theme in each area of the map/room might help.

If I made a garden shed in the editor I would make it look like a garden shed! 4 walls a door and a roof doesn't bring the feel of a shed, it's what the player sees and encounters when in game and in that room. Aka whats in a garden shed and so on. base a theme on each room will help your create what the player expects to see in a room. Otherwise it will be a big empty open space of nothing much when a player is viewing it.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Whiplash entry, more detail - Postby ShadowRunner » 15 Jul 2013, 13:49

Krisz has picked up on the point about detail, I would add particularly the walls are devoid of detail or objects placed by "staff" on the walls.

It's rather perfect, everything is perfectly stacked, I don't get the sense that the player is not the first human to step foot here.

I would expect a little damage/wear and tear in a few places, a few signs of humans having been there, litter, food/drink, paper, something to show that people work here or use this place. I'm not saying you should add all these things, but these things are missing. Pics on wall. Notices, signs inside. Seems like no light switches, fire extinguishers, anything you might find in offices or warehouses. The main thing that gives it away for me, are the interior walls being just one brush and nothing hanging on those walls either. I would expect some structural architecture inside the warehouses perhaps. Fire exits perhaps as well.

Overall, it seems like you are coming along well and your style is becoming clearer and more defined.

If you look at CS-Office, Chinny added some bizarre things, but they work to add "life" to the office. Coffee-maker, boxes littered, soy food packets, sodacans, fire extinguisher boxes, windows, breakable glass table, the environment is rich in interactive detail and objects. Also he added some defining objects, like av projector and beam of light, so players were unmistakeably in an office.

Overall, this is "polish" and I would say you are doing really well as a mapper, the railway station was an interesting map.

Return to Deus Ex