Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

A source of new players that will surprise you.

Author
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ~DJ~ » 17 Aug 2013, 00:26

holy *loving* metabolic end product, how does Face get here in between at all?
what I'm talking about is that if you're talking about a 'central registration', a database shared amongst the servers so that the ban can be for all the servers, that'd be stupid.
however if you mean by 'registering' in a single server, or being banned in a single server through registration.. (which, by the way, you've got advban, so why bother if that's what you're trying to accomplish) that could work out, but that sounds illogical.. what you're trying is to stop aliasing, but which games have that feature, can you mention some?

I don't care if it's Face or Jesus controlling those databases, it'll be player-based and not organization based, players who have their own opinions, players who can be influenced and/or have their own influences, players who might differentiate..
There's no Valve in here to control all that, is all I'm saying.

It's my opinion. I'm not saying that I know any better from any other person, if you want it, go ahead.

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby DejaVu » 17 Aug 2013, 11:04

registration works only for games, where developers made it that way. each membership MUST be linked to single purchased copy. doing registration with just email is pointless, because whoever would like to mess around, just creates new email account. since DXMP has no entity that defines each purchased copy (like CDKEY), registration in DXMP is something we will never see, because it simply wouldn't do the job and therefore is pointless to even implement.

as for registration for each server - read above - if it is only email linked, then anyone can make more accounts and do metabolic end product with their others, while play nice with their primary one. what you can do is, make paid memberships for playing in your server. but GL getting DXMP players you to pay to play on your server lol #-o

Hey
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Hey » 17 Aug 2013, 17:22

Couldn't you use what Advban uses to detect the banned player and then make it so people cannot make new accounts with the same advban info?

DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby DejaVu » 18 Aug 2013, 02:41

I don't know advban. I would need to know how it works first to judge.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ShadowRunner » 19 Aug 2013, 05:42

~DJ~ wrote:holy *loving* metabolic end product, how does Face get here in between at all?
what I'm talking about is that if you're talking about a 'central registration', a database shared amongst the servers so that the ban can be for all the servers, that'd be stupid.
however if you mean by 'registering' in a single server, or being banned in a single server through registration.. (which, by the way, you've got advban, so why bother if that's what you're trying to accomplish) that could work out, but that sounds illogical.. what you're trying is to stop aliasing, but which games have that feature, can you mention some?

I don't care if it's Face or Jesus controlling those databases, it'll be player-based and not organization based, players who have their own opinions, players who can be influenced and/or have their own influences, players who might differentiate..
There's no Valve in here to control all that, is all I'm saying.

It's my opinion. I'm not saying that I know any better from any other person, if you want it, go ahead.

What you forgot is that admins with reputations for doing bad things to registrants will simply lose players and popularity, as has been proven in the past, when admin abuse exists, the server can not dominate.

Yup, if someone wants to ban me, I can still go to a public server, no big deal. But in order to play decent and latest content of course, any modder or serverhoster with a brain is going to use anti-aliasing registration stuff like FT is, to ensure a positive and playable atmosphere.

We are talking about exactly like FT. What couldn't be clearer. Servers will require registration, thus preventing aliasing.

That is all. No reason to be dead against that. No-one in DXMP should be aliasing and causing trouble of various sorts.

I'm talking about anything new and decent like FT, UR, Hengsha, Altfire, 0-aug etc... should be no aliasing there, no ability to disturb others and change name.

Either fix the behaviour or stop it, whatever you do, don't continue to allow it.

THC Mario
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Croatia

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby THC Mario » 19 Aug 2013, 12:51

Maybe it would be possible to reward players who are active in the community forums with a DX server account? For example, if someone has 200 posts and is not a reported troll or spamer, you pm his server login info.

There is no I in suck, only U
>> THC clan <<
RedDynasty
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Portugal

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby RedDynasty » 19 Aug 2013, 14:13

Someone could bypass that system by just simply acting "nice" then after you give him the account, he'll troll the crap out of everyone.

You're not a gamer until you played this.
THC Mario
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Croatia

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby THC Mario » 19 Aug 2013, 15:54

RedDynasty wrote:Someone could bypass that system by just simply acting "nice" then after you give him the account, he'll troll the crap out of everyone.

Being nice to everyone for a few weeks and getting banned in 2 seconds. Sounds like a good trade for the community

There is no I in suck, only U
>> THC clan <<
DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby DejaVu » 19 Aug 2013, 20:54

THC Mario wrote:Maybe it would be possible to reward players who are active in the community forums with a DX server account? For example, if someone has 200 posts and is not a reported troll or spamer, you pm his server login info.

DX has already issues with low player count. That would decrease it by 10times. So yeah, maybe 2 players would go through that procedure.

I have noticed that newer games have more aggressive approach towards spammers, trollers, child abusers etc... Looks like new internet people don't realize they can simply ignore someone spamming them.

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ~Blade~ » 19 Aug 2013, 22:09

too much ego in dx to ignore spammers

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Alvind » 19 Aug 2013, 23:00

Or have an option to disable the chat box from appearing? Or have availability to single out players and uncheck them from a list you don't want to hear from.

DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby DejaVu » 19 Aug 2013, 23:12

That are far more beneficial ideas than having registration system.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ShadowRunner » 20 Aug 2013, 00:39

Yep, the point is about aliasing, that I think it should be at least temporarily removed. A person should be allowed to use a false name, but not change names at will. A name change should be visible to all players on eidos dx1 forums or elsewhere, like Chinny's site or whichever is the leading non-clan DX forums at the time.

I'm not suggesting "councils" or anything else, but DJ needs to realize that to improve the player numbers, it is going to take some common ground, some common co-operation between the people that run servers and an agreement on what is acceptable in the community and what is not acceptable in the community and to live by those standards. In the case of Nepthys and other improvements that seems to be the case.

Banter is one thing, but aliasing in DXMP is another. It's another aspect of the venerability of this game. Again I am not even saying use anti-aliasing measures, but whatever you do, don't continue to allow various "abuses".

DJ wrote:There's no Valve in here to control all that, is all I'm saying.

OK there's no commercial interest, but there is sometimes PR interest in DXMP and DX1 for Eidos.
There was PR interest in Multiplayer HR, if I could ensure no foolery on my server, because I can have no aliasing and simply film people, ban them, post the film on Eidos forums and that's it, next sucker, then I would, then people would start losing out, if they couldn't play UR, or FT or get on the busy 0-aug servers, or play ATDM with anyone who can actually play it, ye, we are talking about the co-operation of less than 20 people, it's not impossible, but the will to clean up has to be there and shared commonly. You don't need Eidos, you could do it yourselves, responsibly, but if you don't trust yourselves, then realize these are your options.

1. Commercial interest 0% chance.
2. PR interest - from time to time, new mods, releases, PC Gamer etc. It's possible to a minor degree.
3. Clean up the game in both ways, make it attractive to beginners, re-add everything experienced players took it upon themselves to remove. Create new maps which cater for both crowds, not one or the other. Make maps which allow the "5 paths of DX". People stop kidding themselves, face the inevitable and re-introduce DXMP the way it was designed, not the way that the experienced riflers made it.

I can't really help you guys, or take the project seriously until those two issues are addressed.

1. What players have done to the game, in particular the removal of items to suit only 1 of the 5 paths of DX.
2. What impossibilities exist because aliasing and bs still exists in the servers.

Nobody made the RX Grenade, but it seems like the only effort to address a major issue and balance it.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby synthetic » 20 Aug 2013, 01:56

~Blade~ wrote:too much ego in dx to ignore spammers

Didn't your parents teach you to clean up after yourself? You are responsible for the crap in your server, not the community, much like nobody else is responsible for the trash in your room. Extra course in Ethics might come in handy, should fetch few points as well - presuming you understand any of it.

Vaan
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Vaan » 20 Aug 2013, 14:34

i really dont see the problem with aliasing mainly because i couldnt give a *love* who i play aslong as they are actually playing...
its the people who join a server and do nothing thats the real problem...

i really think we just need more active admins.. when i first started playing this game there was admins everywhere and metabolic end product got delt with...

And we need the begginers server back if you want new players to stick around...

Return to Deus Ex