Recent 0a maps/map suggestions

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby machete » 16 Jan 2014, 16:01

Hi all,

I'm sorting out the map list for my server.

I'm looking for suggestions of both great classic 0a maps (any that I'm missing) and more recent maps that haven't been given much playtime yet.

As one of the only 0A hosters left, I feel I've got a duty to contemporary mappers to get their maps played properly (my server and the US 0A server are the only ones likely to change their map list at the moment). I don't want mappers to create maps that then never get added to rotation on a proper server. The lack of servers and the general apathy amongst large sections of the community towards anything new means that someone has to shove new maps down players' throats until they grow to like/dislike them of their own esteem. I want to be part of that throat-shoving.

Anyway, here's the current maplist:
[GODZ]_NoChanc_11's_SniperBox
[GODZ]-CargoStation_Alpha2
DXMP_Bound
DXMP_CMD
DXMP_CS-Office
DXMP_Elevation
DXMP_Meditation_beta2
DXMP_Mini_Dust
DXMP_Peak
DXMP_Pool
DXMP_Pool_v3_Prefinal (should I get rid of the original Pool in favour of this one?)
DXMP_S3
DXMP_Silo
DXMP_Smuggler
DXMP_Snow_v2
DXMP_Stalkyard
DXMP_Stalwart
DXMP_Zan-Goh
DXMS_Chasm
DXMS_Confrontation
DXMS_Iceworld
DXMS_Rooftop
RTKM_Moenia
RTKM_Spirit

No A51. A51 is cancer. Some misguided soul votes for it when there's about 4 people playing and it just completely clears the server.

Moenia is only on there by popular demand. For some reason it's consistently voted for in 0A even though it's a bit of a non-event. Might get rid of it actually.

Sniperbox is my non-negotiable map. I just think it's a *loving* good laugh. I don't care that it looks like Lego or that it could've been designed by a 4-year-old. :D

Feel free to comment on my existing maplist if you want but I'm mostly looking for fresh suggestions!

On that note, anyone got an sshot of Sector 3X? Trying to remember what it looks like. The name makes me remember something I like playing, I just don't remember what it is.

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby Cozmo » 16 Jan 2014, 16:22

[GODZ]-CargoStation is the only map in the game I just refuse to play at all. I really have no idea how it continues to end up on map lists. DXMS_Chasm is questionable too, but players falling down the middle is always good fun, so idk. Other than that, it looks pretty good! Will have a think about suggestions

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby ShadowRunner » 16 Jan 2014, 16:43

Kudos for hosting,
kudos for balancing the list more between atdm style and iceworld/pool style.
kudos for hosting one of mine,

but I would agree with Cozmo on this...
DXMS_Chasm
DXMS_Confrontation

DXMS_Foregone is an alternative, but it doesn't really have my personal vote, it's quite large and no movers or anything beyond brushes. Nostrocorp is a good map, but people don't like the spawns. Magus made another map which has been hosted with EMP jumping over a wall, can't remember the name, but it's detailed and has movers and is small for action.

If you're looking to balance further, I would say only remove Snow because Iceworld is more popular, and choose which Pool, but add Abandoned, or Majestic, or something similar to those, again it's not my personal vote. Just show the best of everything.

I think the list is much better now there are maps with elevators, water, movers, actors and full use of the unreal engine. It's far more interesting to play.

I would also add Drydock or Lockdown, no point in not letting players vote Ste once in a while, if they want. Same goes for Chees and Cozmo, I would add one map from Chees, it's a bit large but his Prodigy would work well. I liked Cozmo's map DXMP_Snorbans too, better than Chasm for sure. I'm not saying you should be the the next DXMS, but if half the players are mappers, it makes sense to show at least more than one mapper and dxms, than only all of theirs, which just dilutes their selection too, but I'm not lecturing, the maplist is much better, kudos to you sir.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby machete » 16 Jan 2014, 17:22

The reason I want to keep a wide variety of smaller maps (Iceworld, Snow, Pool, Mini_Dust, Elevation etc.) is because smaller matches account for a lot of the games played in DX nowadays. Snow isn't really analogous to any of the other small maps either. I'm keen on keeping both.

I agree about Confrontation and I'm gonna get rid of it. It's a weird map imo. Making a sniper-heavy map and then putting the sniper in a completely non-obvious place just doesn't sit right with me.

I have good memories of fun games in Chasm. Maybe it's just the reminiscence but I wanna keep it.

Since I'm trying to support new maps, I'm going to remove the original Pool in favour of the update. :D

I've decided to get rid of Moenia. Even though I have the mapvote, I don't want the maplist to get stupidly big. I think that just encourages the behaviour of voting for the first map you recognise on the list. I'm sure there are far better maps that can replace it.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby [FGS]Chees » 16 Jan 2014, 17:44

You can add DX_Studios pre final 2 if you like.
I forgot I even made this map!
Attachments
DXMP_DX_Studios_Pre_Final_2.zip
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 737 times

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby ShadowRunner » 16 Jan 2014, 19:44

My issue isn't with "small", Abandoned, Pool and Mini-Dust are smaller than Snow, but if you like it, then keep it of course.

I just hate arena maps, because they usually are just brushes and don't have proper spawns, like Iceworld and Snow.

Pool and Mini-Dust are even smaller, but they get my vote for not being flat or having water, it's not entirely one flat room.

I'm not concerned, you have enough maps on there, so if a beginner has never played SP, they will still be impressed by interaction and functionality, actors, movers and won't be getting totally destroyed in arena spawnrooms all the time. Good job.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby chin.democ. » 17 Jan 2014, 17:04

Thanks for hosting the Prefinal Pool, I can give you a slightly edited and further optimised Prefinal 2 very soon. Haven't had the chance to test Amon Prefinal yet.

Edit: Here's DXMP_Pool_v3_Prefinal2 (below), this version has simplified lockers and toilet doors and has had some BSP optimising for increased performance. I'm hoping this version is the final version, all going well I can then rename it to its definitive DXMP_Pool_v3 name and release it.
Attachments
DXMP_Pool_v3_Prefinal2.zip
(565.01 KiB) Downloaded 722 times

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby TheWolf » 18 Jan 2014, 07:12

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3785&p=55847&hilit=guardpost#p55847

Here's my first. Scroll down to the bottom for the download with the last few changes.

Ingame: Sev
machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby machete » 19 Jan 2014, 23:15

Thanks, Chinny, I'm hosting this new version now.

Sev, I've put your map up too! Looks good man.

SR, I accidentally put the actual S3 up instead of your map (S3X) but I fixed it now. I liked this map when it was on the old RTKM server (I think that's where I discovered it). Nice one.

I put up Anax's new map as well which looks good too.

Thanks, guys.

I'm looking for DXMS_Foregone, RTKM_Challenge and the single decent MP adaptation of UNATCO HQ to complete my collection. :D

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby ShadowRunner » 20 Jan 2014, 22:59

much appreciated, since you're hosting it, I'm happy to give it some love, update it, change anything on it, or let Chees, Chin or Anax etc have a go at it, as long as they don't touch the drowned medbot.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby [FGS]Chees » 21 Jan 2014, 00:28

The drowned medbot is mine Shadow gimme it to feck over now :bwahaha:

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby anax » 21 Jan 2014, 06:25

What map, S3?? i'm confused! the one with tunnels??? XD :-D

EDIT:
ah i see S3 is one of Mantra's maps, i love that guys brusahwork and skyboxes.

a quick google search led me to your original upload, 2007! :o

Ok so are you really A-OK with me updating this map for 2k14?????? Because i am on a real map making and collecting spree i could go on forever XD!!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=732

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby machete » 25 Jan 2014, 05:29

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I've got the final maplist here: http://machete.says.nom.co/#maplist

It will be updated as necessary so feel to make suggestions in the future. :)

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby anax » 25 Jan 2014, 09:29

Sexy website!

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Recent 0a maps/map suggestions - Postby [FGS]Chees » 25 Jan 2014, 16:27

Nice work machete :)

Return to Deus Ex