Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Euro Server Pool

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Euro Server Pool - Postby TheWolf » 22 Nov 2014, 23:20

It seems there are not many good euro servers out there, this possibly harms gameplay. Since most of us are old enough and have jobs and the money to get servers, why don't we get some? I would have a euro vds from NFO servers already, but what good is it for me, a US player? However I will go part pay on a vds if anyone is interested. We could all pay a share of the machine. We could put a large amount of servers on. If the servers are resource intensive then we could upgrade the vds.

I'm currently paying 28 bucks a month for a 2 core vds from NFO in Denver, Colorado.

The option that has me hot and horny is a VDS from NFO in Frankfurt. That is because of the high quality server I currently have from them. Here is there website and plans
https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtua ... server.php

You can also get a free 2 day trial from them to try it out. We can set up a payment system using paypal or NFO's donation system, that is if this idea takes off and that is if we go with nfo, I'm open to suggestions

Ingame: Sev
anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby anax » 22 Nov 2014, 23:28

As we discussed ingame, it's a sexy idea indeed, i was thinking of setting up internet banking before anyway, quicker for buying music, transferring to Paypal, and things like this too.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby synthetic » 23 Nov 2014, 00:50

Idea is good but I'm not chipping in for admins who ban for aliases/bambs/freckles on nose.

We need servers with admins who take action to verify cases of cheating, kick blockers, verify cases of teambleeding, kick spammers, and depending on lack or existence of various useful mutators, carry out duties that otherwise mutators would handle.

All kinds of creative ideas such as banning for aliasing, for being cheeky, for leaving clan, for being taken for another player, for having good score, for hitting enemy in air.. is all strictly for noob servers. I am interested in more advanced server to donate to, but that is just my preference.

It is also important to note that some players make bad admins no matter how friendly or skilled they may otherwise be. I've learned it the hard way, many times. In my clan I reminded my members: having admin is a burden of responsibility not a privilege. But you may or may not remind that to people - some of them will always see it as a privilege and abuse it in the moment of anger or be mad at you if you're supposed to be a friend but won't give admin.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby TheWolf » 23 Nov 2014, 01:02

synthetic wrote:Idea is good but I'm not chipping in for admins who ban for aliases/bambs/freckles on nose.

We need servers with admins who take action to verify cases of cheating, kick blockers, verify cases of teambleeding, kick spammers, and depending on lack or existence of various useful mutators, carry out duties that otherwise mutators would handle.

All kinds of creative ideas such as banning for aliasing, for being cheeky, for leaving clan, for being taken for another player, for having good score, for hitting enemy in air.. is all strictly for noob servers. I am interested in more advanced server to donate to, but that is just my preference.

It is also important to note that some players make bad admins no matter how friendly or skilled they may otherwise be. I've learned it the hard way, many times. In my clan I reminded my members: having admin is a burden of responsibility not a privilege. But you may or may not remind that to people - some of them will always see it as a privilege and abuse it in the moment of anger or be mad at you if you're supposed to be a friend but won't give admin.

I don't go around banning all aliases, just the ones who are persistently causing trouble. We've been over that, I don't see what the problem is. And this problem does not exist in a euro server because its the euros who are/were doing it to avoid being "looking bad" due to metabolic end product scores from high ping

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby synthetic » 23 Nov 2014, 01:12

Leave aliases alone, admins can check ips and nephthys log to check who is who anyway; harassing aliases goes both against player freedoms and doesn't solve anything at all. I also heard something about you banning for using LAMs.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby TheWolf » 23 Nov 2014, 01:19

Aliases will remain harassed and will be called out. This has gone on for years, "random players" who are actually known european players coming to american servers and cheating and ruining the other's gameplay by other means. This round of servers I will take the urine. If you find a better solution the tell me and I'll consider it. However you keep playing it off like its no big deal, but it is. It is not a one man opinion and so far you're the only one who has a problem with it.

Edit: Listen, if you're not causing trouble, like the majority of players, then gameplay will continue normally

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Nov 2014, 17:53

I didn't mind this comment, in fact it made me laugh.

Truth is, I would only stop public access to RPGs that are being attacked or molested through stupidity or spam. However there's no point to talk about "player freedoms" if that means the only players free are the ones abusing. I am not sure if your "player freedoms" includes player/mappers, player/coders and people that want to host something different. If the issue gets resolved then we don't need to lobby for "player security", but I notice Chees was already reporting a negative experience of hosting recently, so maybe it's a valid issue.

With regards to the rest said, I am famous for not banning people, especially those trying to ruin my game. Some of you tend to boil over or have competitive issues. My ban list in comparison to Alpha's was something like 2-10 v 40-80. The way Hengsha got treated however has brought the issue of admin to the front.

With regards to topic title, I am happy to chip in to something, but would prefer to get 1 server out of it and be in control of that server, gametype, maplist etc. I probably will rent a whole $28 box at that price anyway next year as I would like to run Hengsha and Hengsha fight maps plus something else...

The gametypes I would like to see hosted are ATDM or augs with new maps (test server for fight maps), WW2, Cozmo cities, Hengsha city, Hengsha ATDM augs/fight, Bowens, AG, Altfire/SG with vehicles, Die/Karky and obviously Facetown, Antarctica, UR and anything else coming up

You're talking only 2 x 2 core vds and $56 a month, that is like £5 between 5 people.

So that is 2 people in already, only need around 3 more...

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby anax » 24 Nov 2014, 01:19

noone is going to ban anyone for not being an augger.

Last edited by anax on 15 Mar 2016, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby synthetic » 24 Nov 2014, 02:49

edited

I realized we are talking about banning people for being augers and aliases and whatnot.

I'll return to this thread once aliens have stopped messing with your brains.

I had an idea of proposing a mapping contest for dxmp map (not mod map) but, to be very frank with you, after reading the nonsense here it always puts me off from saying anything at all, for a couple days at least. Go ask Mole or Daedalus or Trollied or Arthur or Death or Predator or whoever how to admin a server. Oh crap - they don't play anymore. I guess we are hopelessly lost now. Let us join hands and collectively pray to Jebus so that he may enlighten our path.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby TheWolf » 24 Nov 2014, 06:27

synthetic wrote:edited

I realized we are talking about banning people for being augers and aliases and whatnot.

I had an idea of proposing a mapping contest for dxmp map (not mod map) but, to be very frank with you, after reading the nonsense here it always puts me off from saying anything at all, for a couple days at least. Go ask Mole or Daedalus or Trollied or Arthur or Death or Predator or whoever how to admin a server. Oh crap - they don't play anymore. I guess we are hopelessly lost now. Let us join hands and collectively pray to Jebus so that he may enlighten our path.

Whatever then, we don't need you for this. Everytime I try to solve any problem I have with you, you just change the subject, or call me a noob. Can't we agree to disagree like we did on minimtl? How do you think I felt about that, Ken? With all your followers not playing in any other servers besides the sub 80 minimtl server, which was horridly laggy to me. You denied me the basic right of DXMP, right to play. Also, you're being extremely close minded and seeing it from your point of view, not the American players, and even some of the European. But that's okay, if you don't want to participate in this we seriously can easily make do without.

Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby Poor » 24 Nov 2014, 07:02

Do you have experience setting up DX servers on VPSes, Sev? It sounds good but I hope there won't be any trouble getting it to work.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby TheWolf » 24 Nov 2014, 08:02

Poor wrote:Do you have experience setting up DX servers on VPSes, Sev? It sounds good but I hope there won't be any trouble getting it to work.

You tell me, I have 3 running on one. All you have to do is change the ports, set up a batch file to start up the servers on server startup. It is exactly like homehosting. You use remote desktop to set the whole thing up.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby synthetic » 25 Nov 2014, 01:20

TheWolf wrote:

Whatever then, we don't need you for this. Everytime I try to solve any problem I have with you, you just change the subject, or call me a noob. Can't we agree to disagree like we did on minimtl? How do you think I felt about that, Ken? With all your followers not playing in any other servers besides the sub 80 minimtl server, which was horridly laggy to me. You denied me the basic right of DXMP, right to play. Also, you're being extremely close minded and seeing it from your point of view, not the American players, and even some of the European. But that's okay, if you don't want to participate in this we seriously can easily make do without.

You lack the most basic insight into competitive gaming and server patching, lack the necessary moral compass to properly conduct administrative duties in your own servers, and then you call me close minded? OK

While it is my firm belief that you are intellectually challenged, it would also be a lie if I said that your feedback has not played a role in shaping an improved opinion of the DT fix impact. That said, it is clear that you don't understand why it was developed, why it is used, what it actually does, nor know of the alternatives other games at times use, ie UT99 servers. Our patch fixes gamespeed on-the-go, other server just kicks you out of server and leaves fixing your internet or pc to you. Pick your preference.

Server administration is carried out with the intent of providing players with best possible experience given the particularities of the hosted gametype. This includes knowledge of setup, awareness of patches and vulnerabilities, ability to actively tackle daily issues in server using generally practiced methods.

Administration and administrators' suitability is determined by two equally important halves: knowledge and experience of how to properly administrate a server(A), ability to put it into practice while staying within those rules (B).
Server rules also apply to administrators.

* lot of admins actually fail at the second half of their duties, even if they understand the theory. Psychological response to grave admin conduct failures is to deny, defend, and justify taken action at whatever cost. Very few admit to making actual mistakes.

Important elements regarding server administration are: ability to critically look at any claim or report made by players or raised by the admin itself; knowledge of how any such situation is generally handled in quality servers in any game; good moral compass to treat all players fairly and enforce rules that allow the fair treatment; knowledge of how server functions, is set up; knowledge of how common cheats and vulnerabilities work, in order to both patch and carry out administrative duties in active servers; knowledge of available patches and tools and how they can be best used.

I personally as an admin or host also prefer to analyze the amount of developer- and community support in any given game, to understand what can be improved or when game is basically deceased and unplayable. In DXMP that amounts to discussing urgent issues with available and capable coders, and keeping track of how many of them are dropping out of the scene. Right now, most but not all have dropped, which would mean that any hosted server would have weakened support.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby TheWolf » 25 Nov 2014, 02:41

synthetic wrote:
TheWolf wrote:

You lack the most basic insight into competitive gaming and server patching, lack the necessary moral compass to properly conduct administrative duties in your own servers, and then you call me close minded? OK

While it is my firm belief that you are intellectually challenged, it would also be a lie if I said that your feedback has not played a role in shaping an improved opinion of the DT fix impact. That said, it is clear that you don't understand why it was developed, why it is used, what it actually does, nor know of the alternatives other games at times use, ie UT99 servers. Our patch fixes gamespeed on-the-go, other server just kicks you out of server and leaves fixing your internet or pc to you. Pick your preference.

Server administration is carried out with the intent of providing players with best possible experience given the particularities of the hosted gametype. This includes knowledge of setup, awareness of patches and vulnerabilities, ability to actively tackle daily issues in server using generally practiced methods.

Administration and administrators' suitability is determined by two equally important halves: knowledge and experience of how to properly administrate a server(A), ability to put it into practice while staying within those rules (B).
Server rules also apply to administrators.

* lot of admins actually fail at the second half of their duties, even if they understand the theory. Psychological response to grave admin conduct failures is to deny, defend, and justify taken action at whatever cost. Very few admit to making actual mistakes.

Important elements regarding server administration are: ability to critically look at any claim or report made by players or raised by the admin itself; knowledge of how any such situation is generally handled in quality servers in any game; good moral compass to treat all players fairly and enforce rules that allow the fair treatment; knowledge of how server functions, is set up; knowledge of how common cheats and vulnerabilities work, in order to both patch and carry out administrative duties in active servers; knowledge of available patches and tools and how they can be best used.

I personally as an admin or host also prefer to analyze the amount of developer- and community support in any given game, to understand what can be improved or when game is basically deceased and unplayable. In DXMP that amounts to discussing urgent issues with available and capable coders, and keeping track of how many of them are dropping out of the scene. Right now, most but not all have dropped, which would mean that any hosted server would have weakened support.

The rule stays, will never change no matter how much you try to lecture me on how to run a server. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this acts in the best interests of the Americans and even a few Europeans. You don't have to play in my servers, in fact we don't need you and I'm assuming that since you're arguing so much you a) have nothing better do to or b) are a person who aliases in American servers to avoid shame from the Americans(Continental). Now for the most important question, and stop avoiding it. **Do YOU have any better way to solve the problem of continental Americans taking the urine?** Stop putting this off like it's nothing. This is a serious problem.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Euro Server Pool - Postby synthetic » 25 Nov 2014, 04:43

The rule stays, will never change no matter how much you try to lecture me on how to run a server. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this acts in the best interests of the Americans and even a few Europeans. You don't have to play in my servers, in fact we don't need you and I'm assuming that since you're arguing so much you a) have nothing better do to or b) are a person who aliases in American servers to avoid shame from the Americans(Continental). Now for the most important question, and stop avoiding it. **Do YOU have any better way to solve the problem of continental Americans taking the urine?** Stop putting this off like it's nothing. This is a serious problem.

Eh no matter how little sense it makes or how impossible it is to enforce it (for repeatedly mentioned reasons), its your server and not really my problem. Bigger problem is your inability to comprehend why the firefix was added. It seems you don't realize that the number of people who won't cheat is the minority. Most people entering your server will be cheating whether they do it intentionally or not (mostly not). This is because game is too old and needs patch. So as a server host you have three very simple options: play with cheaters, play with firefix, or play some other game. Simple like that.
And if you go with the first option, you most likely end up banning people who didn't cheat, because they killed you or whatever.

Anyway, hopefully there'll be an alternative fix to this issue eventually.

Return to Deus Ex