Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Regarding Dani

Author
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Cozmo » 03 Apr 2015, 15:48

synthetic wrote:Most all around here for past decade want to make a new game, alone. That stems from the fact that the typical DXMP modder does not play DXMP but plays UED or SDK. This is not meant as an accusation but an observation and a fact.

This is mostly true, but not at all why this topic is bothering me. I've not misunderstood anything. Yes, I know modders were never a problem, but it does urine me off when I see a discussion that implies nobody bothered trying, and that somehow we're obliged to fix DXMP's metabolic end product, but we only sit around creating garbage instead. Almost every bug that can be fixed with modding has been fixed already.

According to players: If we mod classic DXMP, it's garbage. If we make non-DXMP mods, it's garbage.

We can ignore this, but then it never gets hosted and dies anyway. The only accepted mod in years was the MTL mod that introduced spectating and lag. Bizarre. Btw, modding is actually married to uscript/mapping in DX. Even if all modders were obsessed with ATDM, there's nothing to do. Even the more prolific SP community has barely touched the engine, despite needing to for their bugfixes. This will only change if we ever get around to porting DXMP, which is not as hard as it might sound (@Ken I think you might have been right when you suggested a UT4 mod, despite the system requirements being beyond most DX players)

ps: nade jumping is a special case, where it can be fixed but very few actually want to do it, myself included :oops: also, again it would ideally be a gametype thing, because replacing ANNA grenades would reintroduce duplicating unless we fix that again too

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby synthetic » 03 Apr 2015, 21:26

Nobody is obliged to do anything, especially if were talking about people who dont even like the original DXMP. Patching or improving original game is an effort that is organized from the motivated effort of the fanbase, being fan of UED doesnt put the player into the dxmp fanbase, as weve all seen. Most of my points deal with the frustration of watching coders take fruitless efforts overly seriously while not giving a damn about the original game, which I am clearly biased about. I honestly dont care if the low grav zombie floats faster or shoots missiles out of its nether regions, but fresh ideas are always good for few minutes of fun.

However, youll notice that I am not the only DXMP fan participating in the discussion in this thread, nor are you entirely excluding yourself from the same topic. I don't troll your RPG threads do I.

Anyway, I am largely chatting for the sake of chatting about it, its clear nothing is going to move in any direction anyway :P You are not obliged to mod much like I am not obliged to play. We do what we like to do, and thats time well spent. From my point of view, we have too many modders who all label themselves under DXMP while it should state DX SDK online, thus unintentionally provoking the overly hopeful DXMP fans.

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Cozmo » 04 Apr 2015, 01:35

Oh, that wasn't just directed at you, but I would have looked silly if I didn't quote that before rambling

My point is that if you wanted me or anyone else to mod DXMP in some way, what would that be? I'm asking that genuinely. Mock my "low grav zombies" and their nether regions all you want, but there's honestly nothing left to do for the game in its current engine

And to be honest, even chatting for the sake of it is an impressive evolution from the topic of Dani :-D

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Fear » 04 Apr 2015, 22:33

Somebody call the RSPCA, dead horse being beaten.

2004-2014
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby [FGS]Chees » 04 Apr 2015, 22:44

:bwahaha:

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby ~Blade~ » 05 Apr 2015, 18:26

LMFAO :alc:

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby synthetic » 09 Apr 2015, 01:57

Hi Blade, ever bringing your cheat server back or is it gone for good now? :ney: You know, in 2005 I knew a guy who used to host a server where he'd have popular maps, popular gametype, and exclusively played in godmode all map long every map long. Don't know if I told you that story, Blade. I know I told a lot of stories.. not that it made any difference in the end ^^ Your server your right to cheat when ever you so wish, right? Thats actually pretty normal DXMP server.

And to you cozmo, I realize quite well that most of these thoughts of having any kind of community effort directed at the game was wishful thinking, but I figured that I might as well try if its the last thing I try to propagate around here. Problem isn't the coders today or modders today, or what they are or arent doing. Could it be different? Sure. But thats not the problem and never was. The problem is that the 2001-2003 period failed to generate enough popularity (community size) that it would make sufficient modder base to stick to the game. There was actually a number of people who all signed up for patching the game but in just those 2 years they all disappeared. Since 2003 onwards all of the modders have been UED fans and not DXMP fans, on top of that most of them were 12-13 years old. No matter how you look at it, a 12yearold has a very specific opinion of how a game could be modded.

From what I've seen, this game never had a single particularly healthy period, because no matter what year you look at, it was always riddled with all sorts of issues from cheating to admin abuse or lack of players in server. Yes, we could draw certain timelines where normal DXMP gametypes in their variety were active from ca 2001-2003, but the number of actual strong gaming groups wasnt that great. Slightly overlapping, 2003-2005 saw the peak of 0aug activity, being a local predecessor to the CS Source fandom where most of these players moved on to. Mod trend and nothing to do with DXMP other than being possible to be played here. Largely due to the above mentioned reasons no actually useful features were developed until years later when the young coders were beginning to mature year by year. Then very practical mutators started appearing, alas none of them were any longer interested in the original game.

Basically DXMP was active for 2 buggy and drama filled years and everything post 2003 has been pretty much people randomly creating stuff in UED or pretending that its counterstrike. Just because some of us (myself included) like 0augs doesnt make it DXMP.. and with that viewpoint, there really isnt much one can do. You can create serious team effort only if people like what they are doing.. but here we dont like the same thing.

edit: all if this is just hindsight rationale - personally, I think only thing that really has mattered is that people had fun. Fun is maybe not always the most progressive aspect in life, but it is the reason we play games. If you play too long and fun becomes a hobby instead, you start seeing the more practical aspects, and without any tangible means to bring about some kind of change, it can lead to ranting which I've no doubt been doing. Having spent good portion of my youth here, I can also vouch that it has been a somewhat of a learning experience, as I honestly had no clue that it was possible for people as dumb as fear to actually survive in the society without the supervision of the state healthcare.

Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Fear » 19 Apr 2015, 20:49

So I struck a nerve clearly, and your best comeback is to call me dumb? Never do stand up comedy.

Oh and the word "fun" needs an updated definition, in brief, something along the lines of the feeling one gets doing something that you aren't involved with because you're a nothing-happening killjoy

Stop violating peoples eyesight and quit all thngs DXMP.

Enjoy in day.

2004-2014
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby synthetic » 21 Apr 2015, 02:46

Fear wrote:So I struck a nerve clearly, and your best comeback is to call me dumb? Never do stand up comedy.

Oh and the word "fun" needs an updated definition, in brief, something along the lines of the feeling one gets doing something that you aren't involved with because you're a nothing-happening killjoy

Stop violating peoples eyesight and quit all thngs DXMP.

Enjoy in day.

Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Fear » 22 Apr 2015, 14:44

A hamster with a pancake on it's head, (that old chestnut meme when one doesn't know what to say), nice, says it all really doesn't it Ken me ol' chap.

I'm too anti-online-trend to bring myself to post such material, but each to their own i guess.

I hope you do take my advice for the 900th-odd time and leave, the spambots post more interesting things than you do, legit.

2004-2014
Sike
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Finland

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Sike » 23 Apr 2015, 01:19

Hey, Ken!

Do you remember we used to be enemies? You and your whole clan were my clans enemies!

You've always had an opinion about everything.
You've always been a big influencer in the community and you know how prone to other people's influences young people are? Very. It's easy for young people to listen to you, to get in to your company. But have you realized why do so many people eventually turn against you?

You are intellectual and egoistic. You are smart. The way that you rant and talk about people on forums makes you seem like a person whom I'd rather not get involved with in real life.

You use reason and you are never wrong. At least, you don't admit to being wrong.

But still from my point of view, I'm surprised that you are still here. Ranting about all these same old bitter things, year after year. Why have you not moved on?

Edit. Lol, I just read Fears avatar after posting this message...

Valgothy wrote:Oh and for your info, ATDM is a modded gametype as well.

BTDM is the real DX.
Sike
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Finland

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Sike » 23 Apr 2015, 01:23

Oh, by the way. Aren't you busy working or studying? Do you still have a Finnish girlfriend? :)

BTDM is the real DX.
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby synthetic » 23 Apr 2015, 04:28

I stayed in the game until 2015 and I don't see why it is anyone's business if I "moved on" or not. And since I have so much time to rant and not move on then clearly you've answered your own question, being that I clearly dont work, study, or have a girlfriend. Anyway, interesting post and thanks for the compliments.

Also, so far from my experience the only people that have "turned against me" are the ones that like to cheat in online games, or have some other similar issues. Seemingly high relative number of people having some or other beef with me stems from the abundance of uhh.. how i say it.. opinionated beginner gamers in the community that seem inclined to spreading false information that simply does not help the community in any manner what so ever. I am also outspoken and grudge-y to those that talk shite to me for no apparent reason while I am playing, which caused the conflict between you and me in the first place.

While you yourself have grown from the what.. 13 yearold Sike I used to know into a surprisingly smart dude, I still get the feeling youre one of those that voted for the Perussuomalaiset. Apologies upfront if I am mistaken.

Sike
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Finland

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby Sike » 23 Apr 2015, 11:35

synthetic wrote:I stayed in the game until 2015 and I don't see why it is anyone's business if I "moved on" or not. And since I have so much time to rant and not move on then clearly you've answered your own question, being that I clearly dont work, study, or have a girlfriend. Anyway, interesting post and thanks for the compliments.

Also, so far from my experience the only people that have "turned against me" are the ones that like to cheat in online games, or have some other similar issues. Seemingly high relative number of people having some or other beef with me stems from the abundance of uhh.. how i say it.. opinionated beginner gamers in the community that seem inclined to spreading false information that simply does not help the community in any manner what so ever. I am also outspoken and grudge-y to those that talk shite to me for no apparent reason while I am playing, which caused the conflict between you and me in the first place.

While you yourself have grown from the what.. 13 yearold Sike I used to know into a surprisingly smart dude, I still get the feeling youre one of those that voted for the Perussuomalaiset. Apologies upfront if I am mistaken.

My apologies for making you believe that my post was meant as an attack towards you, it is not.

People always have opinions. There's no neutral opinion to anything in life nor is there one absolute truth to any subject. Once you start viewing subjects and debates from the other persons perspective, you will realize that the "truth" is constructed differently depending on the observer. What I am trying to say is that you should look in the mirror, you are not always right.

And what comes to our conflict, I can not remember what it was all about in the beginning, but things are never as black and white as you present them. Saying that our conflict was only because from your standpoint "I used to talk shite to your for no apparent reason" is just pretty much underestimating :)

Politics is a question of value. There is no right or wrong. Just different values presented by different politicians and parties. Putting a person under negative light just for voting a party you yourself don't value, doesn't make this persons opinion any less valid than yours. Nor should this political opinion indicate any negative generalizations about this person. I did not vote for Perussuomalaiset (The Finns Party), but that's the only thing I'm saying about my political opinion. Though I would be very interested to know what kind of news The Estonian media makes about the Finnish parliamentary elections :)

By the way? Is it true that an average Estonian citizen earns 500€ per month? If so, I earn six times as much, lol (this is only intended as a provoke).

BTDM is the real DX.
James
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: Regarding Dani - Postby James » 27 Apr 2015, 14:24

That's like saying "Finland is one of the most depressed countries in the world why haven't you killed yourself yet?" I mean come on, some of the rags coming from this forum are still dog shite.

But jokes aside and on a serious note I've been lurking here since around November. I've said it before, the amount of actual drama going on after 14 years is dumb, please just get along and play the game -- assuming you still like it and aren't looking to build a reputation in a dead game instead of building a competitive scene with the little we had since 2003, fuccbois.

Code: Select all
D A D D Y  C O O L

Return to Deus Ex