Board index Downloads Deus Ex Maps ]

Mainman's last map - edited by Shadowrunner

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Mainman's last map - edited by Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 26 Mar 2008, 03:54

Landernau revisited...

with vehicles by Fuhrpark mod.

Unfinished map at beta stage, will add cabinets and bots etc...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mainman
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby mainman » 26 Mar 2008, 12:01

I'll take a look

It's telling me i need WWVehicles or something

... and you spelt Landerneau wrong ;)

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 26 Mar 2008, 18:07

omg cheers, I have forgotten to upload the textures here, they are on the server of course...

I don't like what I have done to your map, I would like another go...

And Landerneau, ah thx.

And now that you are back, maybe it would be good to talk about the day/night lighting, It would be best to have that in the map of course...

I really appreciate you letting me work on the map, I learned a lot from seeing your brushwork and zoning etc...

If u are shocked and horrified at what I have done to it, do say, I happily will change anything etc... I know it's not right yet...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mainman
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby mainman » 26 Mar 2008, 22:58

Um I'm not really 'back', I sometimes check the forums, fgs, dxalpha, etc, every couple of weeks, it's just chance that I stumbled upon this today.

I'll take a look later, don't have dx on this computer, but I'm sure it won't be too shocking haha.

And the day/night thing did lag yeah, as cool as it was, i just don't think dx is suited to handle so many dynamic lights - it was merely an experiment. In single player it was bearable, but in MP it would just lag too much.

Edit: and i'm glad that my work has helped you, check out the unprotected release of MMCity, and pull that up in the editor if you can(not sure if you'll be able to), and the brushes / mapping of that may be of use to your learning too. Gimme a shout if you have any questions, I'll check this thread for a few days.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 26 Mar 2008, 23:32

I'll have another attempt one day to make the day/night work...

I don't have any questions yet, just really curious as to what you feel about the edit...

mainman
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby mainman » 27 Mar 2008, 22:04

It's alright, but there's a few things I don't like:

- the lamppost textures (the brick base on it, looks poor - not red, make it grey
- the road texture - cracked red. Again, not red, make it grey
- PUT A FRAME ON EVERY SINGLE WINDOW!!!!, that is, make a 3d one, look at the windows i made!
- line up the textures and don't be lazy, for example on that archway
- speaking of the archway, it overlaps a window on the wall that it's on.
- lazy texturing on the windows, line them up exactly, and MAKE A FRAME
- DON'T EVER USE ONE TEXTURE TO DO A WHOLE WALL, AND WINDOWS!! Don't be lazy!
- look at the green building where you've put in a MP weapon spawn - the windows are cocked up - either remove the frames and windows, or (even better) move the weapon spawn to the opposite side of the room.
- a few buildings have moved up off the ground with their steps, and the window frames are therefore not aligned. This comes from copy and pasting - NEVER COPY AND PASTE!!! if you absolutely must, then do 'copy to brush', and build a new brush like that.
- don't use dx foliage too much, it's metabolic end product, dx models are awful.
- one of the tank brushes crosses over with a floorboard
- you used the same broken staircase i made somewhere. NEVER RE-USE OBVIOUS MAP PARTS!! Two staircases will never break in exactly the same way, that's unrealistic.
- lazy texturing on the door across the road from the green building.
- lazy texturing elsewhere, just pay attention to it, it may take you a few days longer to make a map, but the quality will put your map into another league, same goes for WINDOW FRAMES!

Lol, i've concentrated on the negatives here, but a few positives: in terms of gameplay, i really like what you've done, and I think the layout of the buildings you designed is really good.

Like i said, just get the details right now.

Make the textures all of a similar colour, don't use any bright orange bricks or anything like that, make them all really dull and sombre - it's a bombsite, not FL Unlimited Shithole.

Looks promising otherwise, i'm glad to see there are some decent mappers left, not just box-mapping "noobs".

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Mar 2008, 05:07

I have to admit, I took a six month break on the map and came back to it very foggy indeed, which is why so much is sloppy, rushed etc...

Considering it wasn't my map, I should have been a lot more careful, I apologize...

everything you mentioned will be done exactly as you ask, maybe I show u before hosting tests if I can get hold of you.

As for trees, I agree, remove them all... back to grey, thats what really has gone wrong in aesthetic terms as well...

I think also the sewers are poor and can be more interesting and have some details etc...

Gameplay - well I took a risk. I wasn't sure what you intended in the unbuilt area, I planned a little bridge and canal like Saving Private Ryan's last battle, but it was too big and got removed, so the street is what ended up.

Actually I wanted to use brushes from Landernau 1, but don't have the map obviously. I thought it would be nice to have the sign opposite the church on the floor etc and some other things that were missing from version 2.

anyway thanks and as I say, everything you mentioned will be done exactly as you ask.

It's taught me to not spit maps out, but to really spend that extra time...I I'd be "decent" if I was less lazy and impatient... dxms and [A]Nobody taught me a lot to improve my maps. I made about 60 maps. Only 2 of them DXMP_Starport and DXMP_Imperator are anywhere near "decent". Landernau will only be third map where I really know what I am doing, so I will take extra time and make it right...

I saw that you were banned on Alpha, but the funny thing is I can't find a post which is not helpful or interesting. It said in your ban something like outburst rage etc... I'm liking you all the more... creativity is frustrating and so are a lot of DX'ers... Carry on speaking your mind d00d, cos its got a lot to offer... and I'm sorry we can't host MMCity atm, but it seems there is a demand for it, so it goes in the list of things to do...

mainman
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby mainman » 29 Mar 2008, 11:39

It's not really a case of "doing what I say", it's more a case of developing that mindset yourself, so that you're not happy with a map until it's absolutely perfect, with every little detail. That's what makes a good mapper.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 15 Sep 2008, 00:54

mainman wrote:It's alright, but there's a few things I don't like:

- the lamppost textures (the brick base on it, looks poor - not red, make it grey
- the road texture - cracked red. Again, not red, make it grey
- PUT A FRAME ON EVERY SINGLE WINDOW!!!!, that is, make a 3d one, look at the windows i made!
- line up the textures and don't be lazy, for example on that archway
- speaking of the archway, it overlaps a window on the wall that it's on.
- lazy texturing on the windows, line them up exactly, and MAKE A FRAME
- DON'T EVER USE ONE TEXTURE TO DO A WHOLE WALL, AND WINDOWS!! Don't be lazy!
- look at the green building where you've put in a MP weapon spawn - the windows are cocked up - either remove the frames and windows, or (even better) move the weapon spawn to the opposite side of the room.
- a few buildings have moved up off the ground with their steps, and the window frames are therefore not aligned. This comes from copy and pasting - NEVER COPY AND PASTE!!! if you absolutely must, then do 'copy to brush', and build a new brush like that.
- don't use dx foliage too much, it's metabolic end product, dx models are awful.
- one of the tank brushes crosses over with a floorboard
- you used the same broken staircase i made somewhere. NEVER RE-USE OBVIOUS MAP PARTS!! Two staircases will never break in exactly the same way, that's unrealistic.
- lazy texturing on the door across the road from the green building.
- lazy texturing elsewhere, just pay attention to it, it may take you a few days longer to make a map, but the quality will put your map into another league, same goes for WINDOW FRAMES!

Lol, i've concentrated on the negatives here, but a few positives: in terms of gameplay, i really like what you've done, and I think the layout of the buildings you designed is really good.

Like i said, just get the details right now.

Make the textures all of a similar colour, don't use any bright orange bricks or anything like that, make them all really dull and sombre - it's a bombsite, not FL Unlimited Shithole.

Looks promising otherwise, i'm glad to see there are some decent mappers left, not just box-mapping "noobs".

Chinny are editing a few maps on Wunderland at the moment, I'm not far off finishing this one. Hopefully it might be a candidate for a DXAG map too.

If there are maps you would like to suggest for editing, or for DXAG plz tell us.

Return to Maps