Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 14 Mar 2012, 21:48

Yeye, OBSIDIAN case! :D

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby [FGS]Chees » 12 May 2012, 15:02

Good things come to those who wait :D

Desktop Computer Comp Specs are:
•Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H Motherboard
•350W ISO Switching Power Supply Unit
•Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor (2.4Ghz)
•320GB HDD 4Gb RAM (Memory)
•Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS Graphics Card (3D Capable)
• 2 x DVD Re-Wrighters
•Addon-ADDCR101 Card Reader
•D-Link Wireless N USB Dongle

All in a Thermaltake Soprano Case. Also has a 17" TFT monitor and Keyboard and Mouse running on Windows 7 64-Bit complete with all updates installed, aswell as flash player and java needed for Facebook Games and also come with Genuine Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus installed and upto date and Trust PC Speakers. Has All wires included needed for the PC.

£180.00 delivered tomorrow afternoon.
It's not a £900 PC but it beats what I have no questions asked! also I can upgrade several components which is a bonus!

Kaiden
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby Kaiden » 12 May 2012, 15:21

That PSU looks pretty weak, I'd probably upgrade that in future to 500w+, esp if you're looking at further upgrades.

The card is low tier and made in 2008, apparently it won't handle much in terms of gaming and even then things will need to be on the lowest settings.

Honestly I'd spend at least £200 on a computer these days that you want to last. Again something like this computer. The card will meet the minimum requirements of basically all games, might flake out on higher settings though. And considering it's only £50 more for a vastly superior computer, just requires W7.

But oh well, if you've already bought the other then fair enough, if you don't plan on playing higher end games it'll be fine.

{E.D.H}{FPS}HDD21 wrote:I like ponies

<-(DD)->Darko wrote:HDD21 was brutally stronger than any of you
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby [FGS]Chees » 12 May 2012, 15:45

It beats what I have now so I brought this to upgrade the memory to 8GB, G card and processor upgrade also the PSU is a must change and upgrade It was the first thing I noticed :bwahaha: either way it wont be a super PC and top end technology but it beats what I have now and spending 1k at this time. With a few £100 on upgrades it will be ok for a year or so. Then might spend several k on a new rig in the near future.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby ShadowRunner » 12 May 2012, 17:59

This spec will play DX3 I think...

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby chin.democ. » 12 May 2012, 19:09

Great link Kaiden, if I only had the space..man that's tempting!

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 12 May 2012, 20:27

I've often considered upgrading my 6 years old PC too..
But I can't find a proper reason to do so.
I just play Minecraft and DX so far. The remaining time is study.. :?

To give a note on your PC..
Why two DVD writers??

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby [FGS]Chees » 12 May 2012, 20:33

Not sure Nobody! I think he means dvd and dvd rw drives. even then only the dvd rw is needed! then again i have 12 dvd players and 5 dvd rw drives sitting here, No idea how or why I have them :-D

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby [FGS]Chees » 13 May 2012, 16:53

Nope it has 2 dvd rw's no idea why. He forgot the mouse and keyboard as well but gave me my £20 tip back, very generous on both sides :D This isn't a bad rig tbh, needs a few tweaks to my liking and psu upgrade but overall a good bargain for £180.
''Drop kicks old PC out the window'' :-D

Kaiden
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby Kaiden » 14 May 2012, 02:02

chin.democ. wrote:Great link Kaiden, if I only had the space..man that's tempting!

Is a pretty awesome price! You can't really build it yourself for much cheaper either. My computers 3 1/2 or so years old, still going but gonna need to look to replacing it probably within a year or two.

Then again, every few months you put off buying one more and more powerful components become cheaper. Still waiting on SSDs to come down though :<

{E.D.H}{FPS}HDD21 wrote:I like ponies

<-(DD)->Darko wrote:HDD21 was brutally stronger than any of you
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 14 May 2012, 13:07

Oh my god.. don't get me started with SSDs!

I'm not sure yet but my SSD seems to be defective AGAIN.
This morning, I was writing on some study stuff and then suddenly word froze.
Then I though oh well.. so I switched to the browser and it started freezing too, along with the whole desktop.
That suddenly reminded me of my SSD failure at from begin of this year.
So I thought.. *love* it and went to bath room. When I returned after several minutes, I saw that the windows changed.
Then I came closer I noticed wtf.. all windows are gone and Windows XP was loaded instead of Windows 7.

So my conclusion.. after freezing the whole system crashed and restarted.
The BIOS didn't recognize the SSD anymore and switched to the secondary device to boot from.. which is my old XP system.

Well, so yeah.. it's not definite yet because I didn't fully power off my PC yet in order to revitalize my SSD.
But ONE THING SAID... Do NOT buy OCZ SSDs. :evil:

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby HDD21 » 19 May 2012, 13:30

I know this topic is a few days old; Flash memory is still a maturing technology, the problem being is it's cells fail after X amount of read/write cycles. 1 million writes average may seem like a lot, but when you have a swap file acting near enough like RAM, then i will use up a cell's cycles very quickly. Yes they have things such as wear-leveling which evenly distributes writes among cells, and also keeps spare cells for when a cell fails due to this or any other reason. And that is a MTBF value, most go nowhere near that.

Flash memory works by the cells holding electrons to represent a zero or holding none to mean a 1. It will hold them until a current is applied of the opposite polarity then it removes the electrons from the cell, making the value a 1. Yes, all cells in a flash memory are 1 by default, not zero. But eventually it will lose the ability to hold the electrons, thus it will fail in the end. For crucial purposes, stick with a spinning hard drive, and of course, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. SSDs are also costly, there are 'hybrid' hard drives which basically have a large cache made of flash memory I have no experience of these.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: What computer to buy. - Postby [FGS]Chees » 02 Jun 2012, 04:17

Desktop Computer Comp Specs are:
•Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H Motherboard
•350W ISO Switching Power Supply Unit
•Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor (2.4Ghz)
•320GB HDD 4Gb RAM (Memory)
•Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS Graphics Card (3D Capable)
• 2 x DVD Re-Wrighters
•Addon-ADDCR101 Card Reader
•D-Link Wireless N USB Dongle

Running on Windows 7 64-Bit complete with all updates installed.

Time to upgrade it! the graphics card especially, so any ideas which newer GC's are compatible with this MBRD? Memory is ok at this time not even hitting 2GB yet :o the processor is weak ish but ok for now but looking at an upgrade on the GC tbh as this one has seen better days and think it's on it's last legs/on the floor and cant feking move :-D My hamster GFMX440 16MB performs better than this so called GF8600 2GB pit bull warrior.

Return to Deus Ex