Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Undead Revolution

Author
Power/3D
Power/3D

Undead Revolution - Postby Cozmo » 21 Jun 2012, 22:13

(Thank you Chinny for the amazing name!)

I know I know, another NPC zombie mod attempt. However, I hope to make this the first complete one until TREM/DXSM come out. A little description...

Zombies will be mostly Romero style; slow and clumbsy, but overwhelming. The focus will be on survival. You could go camp on a roof, but that won't fill your stomach. Food and weapons will be scarce, and it will take a *long* time for them to respawn - chances are you'll have to murder other survivors/players to get them.

The default map (currently making one) will be a large suburb. Most buildings will have interiors to search for food etc.

There will be no credits - items like medkits, food and lockpicks will be your currency (important for accessing areas where there might be supplies etc). Some survivor NPCs might trade with you.

Many areas, especially interiors, will be pitch black. With no light aug, you'll have to use flares and light fires to see in a lot of these areas. Some buildings will have their own generators in their basement, so you can start that up and get lighting, cooking etc.

Weapons will not be deleted when you throw them away, meaning you can hide weapons you can't carry, keep them safe in a hideout until next time you play etc. Also, you'll need to raise your skills to get the most out of your ammo, and defend yourself from other players.

Ammocrates will have limited (5?) uses, be moveable and will respawn somewhere when used up. You can carry extra ammo with you in the form of a bulky crate, or stash it in a hideout.

Do not assume every player will be friendly; assume every player is your enemy by default. You can work with other players, but expect a deathmatch.

Currently, I've started the default map (sitting at 4MB atm, and still has a long way to go), and coded working MP zombies in a couple of days. Rest of the code should be easy, biggest obstacle now is the map.

What I need from the community:

- Building prefabs and mapping assistance! (Most buildings will have interiors. Might need someone to re-do my lighting. (Ideally I wouldn't be mapping at all :D ))

- Names for shops etc around the area. (Default textures won't cut it for shops.)

- Possibly someone to convert some .OBJ deco models to Deus Ex if I get better at Wings 3D.

- Ideas/SUGGESTIONS for the mod in general - other than "survive for a long time", there's currently no overall goal.

Any input or questions will be appreciated. Go go go!

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby ~DJ~ » 21 Jun 2012, 22:42

That's a great idea, an independent game, sort of like DayZ style or something right?
Will it have a time-limit or something? or unlimited game.. with a huge map and all? :-D
Also.. a complete gametype or a mutator/other hax? :oops:

Oh well, I HOPE YOU DON'T STEAL SOMETHING FROM OUR TOP SECRET CO--JUST KIDDING. :oops:

Good luck Cozmo.

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby Cozmo » 21 Jun 2012, 23:11

Partially due to laziness, ye: mutator hax instead of gametype, unlimited duration (probably) and a huge default map. And yes! A lot like DayZ, but in DX's more urban nighttime style. 8-) Wanted to make a proper zombie survival for years, DayZ and a recent unfinished DX mod encouraged me to try.

I FORGOT MY DROPBOX ACCOUNT THOUGH SO I CAN'T STEAL FROM TREM damn :-D

Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 Jun 2012, 20:31

Undead Revolution lol - Adam Jensen on drugs?

Sure thing.

Cozmo wrote:- Names for shops etc around the area. (Default textures won't cut it for shops.)

I wouldn't mind designing a few textures / logos and creating some environment for you, fake companies, places, street signs, shop logos etc, I'm not brilliant in PS, but I can bang out basic textures easily... I have a ton of photorealistic textures that I can import. I could create some bloodstained walls and stuff like this...

RedDynasty
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Portugal

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby RedDynasty » 22 Jun 2012, 21:03

i know a site that makes fonts that can be totaly customizable and they are great for shop signs.
Its cooltext.com

You're not a gamer until you played this.
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby Mastakilla » 22 Jun 2012, 21:46

Loving this idea man, sounds awesome can't wait to see how you bring them into play

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Jun 2012, 12:10

RedDynasty wrote:i know a site that makes fonts that can be totaly customizable and they are great for shop signs.
Its cooltext.com

Some of these look pretty cool as starting points.

As I said I would make some bloodstained walls, some survivor's graffiti, shop signs, some ironic advertising etc...

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby Cozmo » 03 Jul 2012, 18:29

Forums have been slow recently, so I might as well post a small update.

Map is currently sitting at 6.2MB, still barely started. I really underestimated how much filesize interiors would add. Currently, I'm adding a huge abandoned hospital, the biggest source of both medical supplies and zombies in the map. 8-) Blood stained surface textures might really make this area this area, will possibly pester you for them in future.

Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby Mastakilla » 03 Jul 2012, 18:58

Cozmo wrote:Forums have been slow recently, so I might as well post a small update.

Map is currently sitting at 6.2MB, still barely started. I really underestimated how much filesize interiors would add. Currently, I'm adding a huge abandoned hospital, the biggest source of both medical supplies and zombies in the map. 8-) Blood stained surface textures might really make this area this area, will possibly pester you for them in future.

When can we start testing! :-D

[DXA]avatar
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby [DXA]avatar » 03 Jul 2012, 19:01

you can take some ideas from cod or dead space :D!?

dead space = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMlUsGSALyY

A VERY GOOD GAME I MUST SAY ...

avatar, I'm gonna HUNT you down with my FGS-Sentinels! :P
~][FGS][Nobody~
Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby Cozmo » 04 Jul 2012, 16:12

I think I'm using too many lights. Over 370 so far somehow. (Not a shot of the map, just the ridiculous lighting. Also the rest of this map will be much more claustrophobic etc.) http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4898 ... hting1.png

Also, I've just made a decision to weaken the sniper slightly; getting one shot killed from the other end of the map / from on top of the crane after collecting a ton of stuff would completely suck.

@Sparda I've heard good things about COD zombies - might take a look :o

@Masta If I can keep up this >1mb mapping a day thing, maybe within a week or two. ;-) Hospital might delay things a bit though.

Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby chin.democ. » 04 Jul 2012, 20:24

I would say you may need zone lighting, however what I did on the Turnpike map was to have exterior lighting on the buildings and then the odd light actor for ambient light here and there.

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby Cozmo » 05 Jul 2012, 01:08

I usually use a low zonelighting, but the problem is I need to keep some areas that are tricky to zone at brightness 0. (I did some tests, you can see clearly at full brightness settings as low as 3/255 brightness, making flares etc useless). One thing I'm considering is using some huge radius beams in a similar way; they ignore walls / casting shadows etc.

Hopefully the engine won't object to too many more lights though. :ney:

Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 05 Jul 2012, 10:31

Be aware of having too bright light.
I experienced an increasing chance of a frozen DX on very bright maps.
Then my DX crashed with those log spam.
Code: Select all
Log: Anomalous singularity in URender::DrawWorld
Critical: URender::OccludeBsp
Critical: URender::OccludeFrame

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Undead Revolution - Postby chin.democ. » 05 Jul 2012, 12:53

Was wandering Coz why you want so much light in your map, as it is NPC vs players rather then player vs player you can really be stingy with the lighting if you wanted. And as it is a zombie map I'd recommend having the map pretty dark just to make it even scarier and give the zombies an element of stealth.

Looking at the pic you posted perhaps you could do away completely with the lit roofs and sides of the buildings, you should try and have each light actor have it's own source rather then putting them everywhere. Once you've done that you can decide whether or not you need more lights around the buildings, the street lights to the left of the pic look too close together so perhaps they could be spaced out further which will give you these nice light/dark spots along the road. I'd recommend a yellowy-orange street light colour hue somewhere around the 32 mark maybe.

Would love to help out with this but I'm completely swamped at the moment, I would love to release the updated Cozmo RPG soon and that would free me up quite abit, also recently my Milkshape keeps crashing to desktop every 30-60 secs it's very frustrating! Perhaps in about a month I might be able to help out if you still required some help.

Return to Deus Ex