Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

SDK tip - fixing critical error.

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

SDK tip - fixing critical error. - Postby ShadowRunner » 14 Sep 2012, 14:37

A few times I have fixed a map with critical error now. I think there is a routine people can follow.

1. Open the map in "perspective" mode. i.e. make sure you are in "perspective" mode and the 3D view is tiny. Delete the offending mistake, last added brushes/lights/items etc. If you can't guess, delete everything you did before last build, if you have no other version.
2. Update, press F7, Save, Close SDK.
3. Open SDK, open the map again in "perspective mode" Press F7 again, Save, Press F8, don't touch anything, Rebuild.
4. If first rebuild is unsuccessful, repeat whole thing again, with updates and saves in between.
5. Sounds ridiculous, but if 2nd is unsuccessful, close editor, go to sleep, try in the morning. This has worked 3 times now for me. Basically I don't give up now until the 4th attempt and it works.
6. Still not working? My routine is probably not going to help you and you suck at mapping, you were probably off-grid, using lights in a stupid way, left some actor in the wrong place, did stupid with movers, or were trying to sculpt the Cistine Chapel with small 5 sided brushes.

PROGRESS BAR - watch this closely during rebuild. If during the "rebuilding geometry" it sticks around 3rd or 4th blue bar, then the likelyhood is that either, an error still needs sorting out before rebuilding or your processor was interrupted by other software I think. (not responding) is not necessarily critical error either, the display going white is not great, but map can still rebuild fine. Sometimes the display crashes, but the rebuilding is happening. Be patient also, because if a dodgy version is fixing itself, the rebuild does take longer than usual.

STATS - SDK lies. The editor actually loses count of things, quite regularly. So be prepared for error before you expect it.

MOVERS - seem to be the thing that SDK really hates and will double or triple the strain on the rebuild or 3D viewer. I remember one SG map mover took me 17 attempts, but it worked eventually. I am currently working on the theory that it is
best to leave movers until the very last, when you don't need the 3D viewer anymore.

Face taught me the power of "perspective" mode and I am using it more and more now to do the impossible. This routine would have been very useful for SG mapping, where there is mover hell and large spaces being lit.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: SDK tip - fixing critical error. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 16 Sep 2012, 21:25

Nice summary, especially paragraph 6. :)
F7 is not required, tho.
Perspective mode is a good thing. In the final phases of DXSG_CMD_V1, I was just working with perspective mode. Otherwise it would have crashed as soon as I would have moved into the non-subtracted space.
So when the map gets more complex, always use the perspective mode to ghost through walls and JUST if you're sure to be in a room or corridor, switch to any other 3D view!

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: SDK tip - fixing critical error. - Postby ShadowRunner » 17 Sep 2012, 14:52

yes good tip. Better than texture mode for ghosting around.

F7 does seem to shorten rebuild a bit.

Return to Deus Ex