Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 18 May 2013, 12:49

Whether I'm asked to judge or not, I'll make a map.

I keep seeing amazing and eclectic architecture around me in Bristol, but the layout is always wrong, like a crossroads or some layout which is a camper's map. I'm thinking an underground map is the answer, something a bit more like Smuggler.

My best idea so far is to map a small art gallery which is underground, but place it nearer the river and sewers and have a map which is mainly underground except for the harbour(out of bounds) and the street.

After all, Bristol harbour would have had a guy called "Smuggler".

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby chin.democ. » 18 May 2013, 15:49

Would be nice to get some more images for my monthly newsletter!

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 18 May 2013, 19:42

The hard part is getting the round, worn feel of 200 year old streets, the unevenness of steps and strange angles from sagging buildings. I'm going to try for this. Also I think I will make custom textures for everything. No "NY" sewer covers!

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby [FGS]Chees » 18 May 2013, 22:26

Was going to suggest custom textures for the old building walls, same with the street textures as pavements crack and sink a good FT when old buildings shift about . PM me any sshot's I'm curious what you have so far for this Comp :-D

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 19 May 2013, 18:08

pm'd you.

I am going to try something potentially very buggy, and try not to make it buggy. Funny angles, wear and tear.

The goal is to make something lifelike, even with the brushes.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 May 2013, 17:57

Only the top left corner inside the red marker is the player area, the circles are the spawns. I've chosen the corner of Bristol Bridge, Welshback, Castle Park and Corn St. A dock and a hill with some buildings.

So my competition entry is basically like mini-dust, but with 4 spawns, sewers and massive out of bounds to blend the skybox. I'm making drains, signs, everything exactly as it is, except I have had to scale the number of shops per block to get things right, or the map would have been too big for play, otherwise everything is correct in layout.

This is looking from Welshback up an alley to Corn St/St Nicholas Market. Jock and some temporary green wheelybins for size. Drains will be accessible from the manholes, players will see rats in the gutter drains.

I need to block Castle park and the docks path off, it's just there to blend the skybox. Using some police caution tape and a road traffic accident probably.

The cafe in Corn Street takes visa and mastercard.

I'll add cameras but probably not a turret.

There's a Chinese takeaway. This will be one of the few interiors which isn't a spawn.

I will use some deco, but mostly breakable so it can be a proper fight map and so far I'm happy with the layout, it's like smuggler or minidust type of map where all weps can come into play.

The tough part I think will be the interiors, hopefully not bugging as I subtract into adds in certain places.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 25 May 2013, 23:30

Unfinished lighting and unfinished everything else.

The out of bounds scenery, without the skybox

A takeaway which will be out of bounds/closed.

I've mapped out 3 spawns and the initial subtractions, some textures are in, progress is steady.

Majster
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Poland

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby Majster » 26 May 2013, 20:42

Shadow, you are pro mapper. Respect.

ShadowRunner wrote:There's paranoia and anger everywhere about fps, people are taking 0a FAR too seriously, liven the game up and make it more fun for EVERYONE. (and me and Chees lol)
Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby Cozmo » 26 May 2013, 20:45

Upside-down flasks as wine glasses, medbots with doctor mesh, and now resized carts as wheelie bins. Definitely the most inventive mapper :-D

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 May 2013, 11:55

I think flasks/wine glasses wasn't my idea, not sure, but I think I saw that somewhere.

Thanks guys but I'm not really a "mapper" like you guys, I don't code, model, use 2D editor, even I don't know how to make certain things. I've got ideas but I'm short on technical know-how, luckily 0-aug doesn't require too much usually and maybe I can get away without models, the carts are funny, but they give the impression.

These competitions definitely up your game, I'm taking more care and doing things properly and it's keeping my map within acceptable sizes and decoration, knowing that 0-aug fighters will be all over it, giving it scrutiny, wanting fps etc.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 May 2013, 11:55

System: Post deleted - Nothing to see here!

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby anax » 27 May 2013, 15:21

isit too late to bounce in with my own entry for this new challenge? Meditation is close to a prefinal stage but i won't enter it because it's already its own thing.
i want to make a small fighting map where the play area is inside and between 2 skyscrapers or something, there's a wide walkable bridge between them, multiple floors to play on and a roof area.
Man i'm going to need a diagram.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
Majster
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Poland

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby Majster » 28 May 2013, 13:00

anax wrote:isit too late to bounce in with my own entry for this new challenge?

You can to bounce into the challenge. :)

ShadowRunner wrote:There's paranoia and anger everywhere about fps, people are taking 0a FAR too seriously, liven the game up and make it more fun for EVERYONE. (and me and Chees lol)
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: FGS Mapping Challenge - Shadowrunner - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 May 2013, 13:14

anax wrote:isit too late to bounce in with my own entry for this new challenge? Meditation is close to a prefinal stage but i won't enter it because it's already its own thing.
i want to make a small fighting map where the play area is inside and between 2 skyscrapers or something, there's a wide walkable bridge between them, multiple floors to play on and a roof area.
Man i'm going to need a diagram.

Would be great if you entered. People were asking about the numbers of competitors.

Just read the rules from Whiplash carefully, we have to make a map based on a place in real life and we have to be able to provide sample photos or images of that location to show how we have made a real place.

What you describe reminds me of the Hyatt Hotel walkway which collapsed, killing a lot of people.
There was an atrium between two towers and at the top of the atrium was a walkway which crossed over the lobby floor below.

Return to Deus Ex