Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant)

Author
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby atrey65789 » 12 Jun 2013, 19:45

I know that what I am about to say may start the fire, but oh well.

For those wondering why DXMP is almost dead, is not because "it's a shitty game" or "FPS Rates are so high",

It's quite simply because the game is lacking new material... Seriously, do you think that this game will last
with only 0-Aug and Party servers? No... But no one listens, as they continue to host these servers.... Nothing
against the servers, some can be fun, but it's getting old...

Hell, My friend went on The old old old old UT servers and found MANY people.... That game is older than
DX!!! You know why that game has a lot of players still???? Cause they have TONS and TONS and TONS of different
mods, maps, all servers don't rely on 2 or 3 different categories of game style, and all sorts of creation!! That is caused
by people knowing that good change must happen to keep a game from dying.

For all of you modders, to keep this community alive, we can't just sit here and wait on big projects like Hengsha, TREM,
and FaceTown to get here. Let's make smaller mods in the mean time to keep players waiting so they don't get impatient and leave!!

We are losing old players and modders, to keep this from happening and to welcome new players into DXMP, we must let them
know that this is a creative community and that it would not change.

Also, For those players (and you know who you are) who always bash other players especially new players, that's a bad way to welcome
them into DXMP, that makes them wanna leave right away.

That's my rant on why DXMP is dying, I hope you as the reader agree with me when I say that ^^^this is what we need to make better.

There is really no other reason why this is happening, If I DID forget something, feel free to tell me.

DeletedUser_220603

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby DeletedUser_220603 » 12 Jun 2013, 19:53

I agree with you.

Not only that, but I found that the UT downloads server files faster than DX. I also saw that there were many servers and the scroll bar was huge, too.

About DX, there cannot be an official patch since the developers are defunct, and the community needs to improve the game’s gameplay – not the graphics!

http://postimage.org/app.php

jager774
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby jager774 » 12 Jun 2013, 20:43

RedDynasty
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Portugal

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby RedDynasty » 12 Jun 2013, 21:01

The reason UT has a much more active community then DX is because its multiplayer wasnt rushed or anything like that.
I allways support coop in DX, other than being what it is, its something NEW to deus ex thats is allways based in DEATHMATCH, but then people go like "*love* you, coop is metabolic end product".
Like i said, my TF2 hat mod is still on stand by because i got 2 *loving* exams in 18th and 21st of june. When i get a stable version of that, ill post it in a very active forum regarding both TF2 and Deus Ex (say for instance, Facepunch) and maybe that will get a decent amount of people.
And also regarding the new players thing, i admit i am one of those people that bash new players, and i do that because most ( if not ALL) the newcomers in deus ex "just got here from Human Revolution", "never played singleplayer before" and then they ask the dumbest questions ever.

You're not a gamer until you played this.
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby [FGS]Chees » 12 Jun 2013, 21:57

Must admit DX projects are taking some time to be released and some released before they are even ready for it and the players giving the makers major abuse for that so can see why of the top of my head I can count almost 10 projects/mods/maps in process and release dates on most of them are not far away but held back for reasons such as that. Stick with DX hopefully the player numbers will get better as each are released and you will have trouble choosing what server to go on soon. :-D

Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby Alvind » 12 Jun 2013, 23:32

I have thought about this and that's why I've set up DXMP ASSAULT :D it's the answer to the communities problems.

It will bring fresh gameplay, objective based MP with totally different style maps to death match. Why haven't you joined the conquest already lol

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby ~DJ~ » 12 Jun 2013, 23:34

Ironic that you state that we should stop working on mega projects, whereas the most popular server with most players on UT at that moment was Tactical Ops.

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
RedDynasty
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Portugal

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby RedDynasty » 13 Jun 2013, 01:17

indeed DJ, i played tactical ops a few years back, servers with invasion mod and snipers only were allways full.

You're not a gamer until you played this.
atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby atrey65789 » 13 Jun 2013, 06:43

~DJ~ wrote:Ironic that you state that we should stop working on mega projects

Actually, that is not what I said, What I was saying was that WHILE we work on large projects, lets make little side projects
in the mean time and release those so we don't keep people waiting, something for them to do while we finish big projects.

Get what I am sayin'? :)

Psycho
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Afghanistan

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby Psycho » 13 Jun 2013, 08:42

RedDynasty wrote:"never played singleplayer before" and then they ask the dumbest questions ever.

I started DXMP when I was about 7-8, possibly even younger, and I didn't complete SP until I was 17 or 18.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby chin.democ. » 13 Jun 2013, 13:55

I am a believer in sharing new things as soon as they become playable, as I make maps I share with the community the beta versions, I get feedback on these and adjust the map accordingly. I have been doing this for years, the only mods I can think of in recent times that has a similar process was Poor's Cage Match mod and Deja Vu's Animals vs Humans - both of these mods were extremely popular - see where I'm going here?.

There is far too much fear in gaming communities of releasing work that *shocker* might not represent the final product. Mods and maps that release in stages and are part of an ongoing process of improvement based on feedback should make for the best mods and maps. Start off small, and build something up, people will keep interest when they see something that has small ongoing updates.

You really don't have to lock yourself away and work your fingers to the bone in near secrecy thinking you have the best mod since sliced bread! Get the mod out there and get support for it, you don't have to do things alone. (You know who you are) :winknkiss:

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby atrey65789 » 13 Jun 2013, 16:10

^I know that that person is not me cause I never think my mods are the best mods.

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby Cozmo » 14 Jun 2013, 15:32

UT isn't a great example; a HUGE number of people still play UT vanilla. The official DXMP itself was rushed - it just happened to have some surprisingly good gameplay mechanics and, more than anything, great potential.

The single biggest contributing factor to this game's death is the sheer learning curve. When someone plays UT singleplayer, they know the MP is going to be fast paced and difficult, so they know what's coming and tend to hang around regardless of the (smaller) difference in skill. In DX however, most of the players are fresh out of the air vents with their stun prods at the ready into a shooter inhabited by ruthless players with at least 5 years of experience (in any gametype they join). Mods can be an easier introduction to the game, but won't really change this.

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby ShadowRunner » 14 Jun 2013, 18:30

Cozmo wrote: The single biggest contributing factor to this game's death is the sheer learning curve...

Cozmo wrote: In DX however, most of the players are fresh out of the air vents with their stun prods at the ready into a shooter inhabited by ruthless players with at least 5 years of experience (in any gametype they join). Mods can be an easier introduction to the game, but won't really change this.

I wish to encourage people to develop new content but at the same time Cozmo is 100%. This is the major issue and why I had my little rant about godzserver being attacked and everyone is worrying about fps issues and cheating and the competitive side of the game, when I've been telling you for YEARS to stop removing items from the game like lams and everything else that is single player. It's why I detested the plague of small bright arena maps with no spawnrooms.

Atrey, I have worked very hard for about two years on content like Hengsha, Bioweapon, 0-aug versions of Prodigy, Landernau and lots of other maps, and right now, not one single one of them is being hosted by anyone, even Bioweapon is off altfire. So why should I listen to new and make new content. When I hosted Hengsha, I spent most of my time dealing with trolls, female dogs and aliasers. I've not made the sacrifice of 2-3 days to properly up the server, because I don't have time, but in my mind is that it is hardly worth it because nothing has changed, things actually got worse.

Sorry to sound so negative, but DX is in the clutches of people who hold a very rigid, narrow-minded and very uncompromising opinion of what DXMP should be, which has removed the fun aspect of the game and removed any challenges that might come from a beginner.

There will always be a core group of people who want to dictate what a 0-aug server should be. There will always be a core group of players who are going to mess up custom servers to get people back into their own servers. There are always going to be issues between the various people that run 0-aug servers too, since the numbers are so few.

In short, I agree with you, but it's pissing in the wind until people change things to make a game that is fun and easier for beginners to progress in.

Vox channels would go a long way in doing this. There are other solutions, but people don't want to listen. They're still arguing over fps, cheating, scores.

There are even people who have taken a stance, pushed something forwards and despite massive failure in revival, are still arguing that they are right and etc.

I barely map these days, despite what players say, maps tend to be removed and more recently I'm told a map won't get hosted, even before I've started making it, despite players wanting it. That's how intense some people are in this game these days, people still trying to control the game, they can't see just how much people are removing elements from the game.

/rant

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Ever thought about this? (My DXMP Rant) - Postby synthetic » 15 Jun 2013, 06:10

rant about godzserver being attacked

As unpleasant of a character as Nochance might've been, attacks on his server were no different from what DejaVu did. Mostly conducted by teenagers, it is the result of a vulnerable multi-player combined with the average age of a common 0auger. Nothing complicated about it.

everyone is worrying about fps issues and cheating and the competitive side of the game

DXMP was released as a competitive game mode, so competitive that the flame wars took a decade to die down on original forums. Without competition, original game is dead. Mods need to be released standalone if they don't want to be dependent on the original.

when I've been telling you for YEARS to stop removing items from the game like lams and everything else that is single player. It's why I detested the plague of small bright arena maps with no spawnrooms.

Nobody removed anything in particular from original game. In modded game experience called 0augs, lot of these things were unbalanced and subsequently removed in the lack of better coding. I wouldn't worry about it much, as 0augs has no future in this game, even if it will not completely die as long as MS is up. Nothing was removed by the players from classic servers.

I have worked very hard for about two years on content like Hengsha, Bioweapon, 0-aug versions of Prodigy, Landernau and lots of other maps, and right now, not one single one of them is being hosted by anyone, even Bioweapon is off altfire.

I applaud your hard work and resulting experience that does show on several of your maps, however, by completely ignoring the playerbase *anywhere* or using not a little bit of common sense you managed to dig this hole for yourself, all by yourself. It is easy to get carried away by awesome ideas, but it takes a different kind of responsibility to actually understand the feasibility of those ideas.

Sorry to sound so negative, but DX is in the clutches of people who hold a very rigid, narrow-minded and very uncompromising opinion of what DXMP should be, which has removed the fun aspect of the game and removed any challenges that might come from a beginner.

And with that you describe your own failure. You think you know what is good for other players, too bad they don't know whats good for them, right? I represent the hardcore 0augers in this game, and likewise enjoy the original dxmp which is quite a bit different. As much as I take pride in the clan wars or duels I've won, I can say that I've only ever played this game 100% for fun. Poor remakes of sim city with no actual sim mechanics do not constitute as fun for me. Neither do gametypes that combine the worst of classic maps and make them even worse by adding odd teleporters into strangest places, that players can then spend 20 minutes camping.

There will always be a core group of people who want to dictate what a 0-aug server should be. There will always be a core group of players who are going to mess up custom servers to get people back into their own servers. There are always going to be issues between the various people that run 0-aug servers too, since the numbers are so few.

Every server host has his own freedom to decide what server they host. It is *players* that make the preference. Your very statement about SG (or what mod it was) being more popular than 0a mod cannot be further from the reality, showing very clearly how little you've actually played this game. Maybe you map a lot for this game, maybe you mod a lot for this game, but you have absolutely no idea what is happening in the game.

I could go on and on, but ultimately, Cozmo is indeed right, and he is right because he is a smart guy who actually plays all of the game types on top of his modding. You on the other hand attempt to force players hand. I'd put you in the same pot with Alvin and Atrey -- you all have passion for modding and probably some promise, with Shadowrunnering being one of the most experienced mappers still in the community, but none of you have any idea what you're doing. I really wish that skill or interest was put into a use that would actually benefit the game.

TL;DR: Players play games for fun, and they decide what mods and maps are good and what are not. If your mods are not played, then they are not good. Attacks on servers are an irrelevant exception and should not be possible.
Admittedly, such natural selection depends directly on the kind of player base. If your average fan is 12, you need to make mods and maps that suit the tastes of a 12yearold..

Return to Deus Ex