Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

aug binds..?

Author
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: aug binds..? - Postby synthetic » 03 Aug 2013, 06:51

The problem is not that people are using advanced binds, but that they are able to. Don't bitch at players, bitch at the game.

lolz, only DX players could argue the difference between cheating and not cheating, within a PC game console. Binds/Console = cheating, period, as far as many people are concerned.

Only a novice DXMP player can say something like that. Let me grab a sandwich while the entirety of Counter Strike, Quake, UrT legacy laughs at you.. I don't like things like medbind or sniper bind or whatever weird binds, but what you just said conflicts with the opinion of millions of gamers from past decade or more. No, believe it or not, I am not talking about millions of DXMP players.

Psycho
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Afghanistan

Re: aug binds..? - Postby Psycho » 03 Aug 2013, 18:06

Poor wrote:
synthetic wrote:For example, I absolutely hate the snipe bind, but I won't harass anyone over using it, whereas DJ helped me disable behindview on server while back.

A shame. Stealth is a key part of Deus Ex. Since leaning was disabled and the first person view is impractical for using stealth in multiplayer, BehindView is the only real way to use stealth tactics in zero aug.

No

Hey
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: aug binds..? - Postby Hey » 03 Aug 2013, 19:17

Behind view is really unbalanced, you can just sit behind walls in Smuggler with a DTS or assault rifle and get the jump on people, its like the vision aug.

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: aug binds..? - Postby ~Blade~ » 03 Aug 2013, 22:46

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Actually it is YOUR job to perform this tasks, otherwise you would be redundant for the game.
You could make hax that performs that watchdog task but that would be called cheating. [-X

yea fully agree. You can be an outstanding augger without complicated binds at all, just using the settings which are configurable from the menu screen.
You know this but it really is all you need to know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjf5UXdaUQc

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: aug binds..? - Postby Poor » 04 Aug 2013, 03:51

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:I remember a few years back I saw someone argue in game that med binds and in fact any kinds of binds are cheating because they are 'not part of the true deus ex'. What I think he meant was that when players use binds, they are not playing DX the way it was originally intended for them by the developers, in other words they are performing customizations that would otherwise not be possible through the regular settings. I guess I could agree with that but I have a feeling that one of the signs of players really getting addicted to a game is when they start looking for ways to gain some kind of permanent advantage over other players, an advantage that is not affected by the events of a game. Examples of such advantages would be using binds and different kinds of console commands, configuring settings to benefit performance over quality (high-res vs. low-res), purchasing hardware that improves that performance even further and so on. The point is that I think the permanent players of a multiplayer game will probably always seek advantage over other players because at the end of every match they play some of them will win while others will lose. (Nobody likes to lose! - a great pun) That suggests that the ultimate goal of any player in any game is to win, therefore binds must be fundamentally legal because they are just another way of pursuing advantage over others. But don't we use cheats for the exact same reason? The behindview command is considered legal by many of those who would in the same time reject a wall hack, regardless of the fact that their purposes are identical: spotting the enemy in a way that would be otherwise physically impossible. Where do we draw the borderline between legal binds and illegal cheats? If we are unable to define such borderline, then isn't cheating fundamentally legal? I guess this brings us to a debate on the relationship of government and religion, law and morale, right and wrong, and so on. However, I'm too high to go into that right now.

Epilogue:
If I was a religious man, I would claim that God loves American weed so I wouldn't feel guilty smoking it.

The med bind and snipe bind could be considered something the devs didn't intend the player to use. The med bind is used by most players and honestly I don't think it gives the player an advantage. The normal way requires a key press followed by a mouse click while the "cheating" way requires a key press with a slower release. The time required is the same either way but the med bind is more likely to fail. The togglebehindview command was not disabled by the developers nor by the creators of DXMTL, ANNA, or miniMTL so I would not consider it a cheat.

Vexus
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: aug binds..? - Postby Vexus » 04 Aug 2013, 07:26

Poor wrote:The med bind and snipe bind could be considered something the devs didn't intend the player to use. The med bind is used by most players and honestly I don't think it gives the player an advantage. The normal way requires a key press followed by a mouse click while the "cheating" way requires a key press with a slower release. The time required is the same either way but the med bind is more likely to fail. The togglebehindview command was not disabled by the developers nor by the creators of DXMTL, ANNA, or miniMTL so I would not consider it a cheat.

I didn't say it was cheating, I said it wasn't stealth. The only stealth in the game is the cloak aug, silent footstep aug, silencers, and thermoptic camo.

ShadowRunner wrote:lolz, the mayhem of this thread is huge...

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Is there anything I can put in your mouth to make you stop talking rubbish? :-s

anax wrote:wow you are amazing. like this woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl4B9NA-NLE

[FGS]Kalman wrote:Lol I thought for 2-3 months everybody talks like a sir here, then I realised it's the forum's censorship

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Oh my god.. why are small minded people just so... SMALL MINDED! ](*,)
Psycho
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Afghanistan

Re: aug binds..? - Postby Psycho » 04 Aug 2013, 12:42

How is being able to see around corners fair?

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: aug binds..? - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 04 Aug 2013, 12:50

Mirrors :-D

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: aug binds..? - Postby Poor » 04 Aug 2013, 18:19

Psycho wrote:How is being able to see around corners fair?

Well everyone can do it. It's even listed in the control settings.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: aug binds..? - Postby chin.democ. » 04 Aug 2013, 19:18

Everyone will have differentiating opinions on what is fair and what is not based on their moral code. Personally I like the idea of taking out as many variables as possible to get a fair playing field, this is why I used to really enjoy playing BTDM, sadly I can't seem to get a game these days.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: aug binds..? - Postby anax » 04 Aug 2013, 21:57

if you think behindview isn't pretty much an unintentional/accidental cheat you are an idiot. No two ways about it, there is no aug or other player ability that would allow for BV within the DX universe, being able to see behind your own body and around corners is unfair and probably went unnoticed by the developers.
If you think BV is the bees kness then you shouldn't be playing DXMP because your putting yourself at an unfair advantage to everyone else who plays properly and can only modify their abilities with augs. IMO, BV is a mistake by the developers.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: aug binds..? - Postby ~DJ~ » 04 Aug 2013, 23:40

now.. if I remember correctly.. original Deus Ex multiplayer doesn't have BehindView, unless you're Admin you can't BehindView.
but now DXMTL allows it any time. So I assume it's a bug in DXMTL... a bug that had a variable called bAllowBehindView, but which has no effect.

apart from that, I'm not really against or with the idea for it, I'm just neutral. If someone wants to disable it on their server, it's their choice, I don't mind. If they do want it on their server, their choice too.. that I don't mind either. HERE'S ME BEING DIPLOMATIC. TA.

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: aug binds..? - Postby synthetic » 05 Aug 2013, 09:16

I've said it many times and I say it again: *normal* FPS multiplayer games do *NOT* allow BehindView! I don't care how effective it is or is not, it is basically a primitive wall-hack that encourages camping instead of keeping game in motion. BV is Single Player feature and does not belong in ANY multi player FPS.

Lean was removed probably because they didn't want to bother coding it for MP. I don't see a problem with it at all in theory because the view is balanced: you see enemy, enemy sees your head poking out. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine actually won't support something as complicated as this (you should be able to hit the portion poking out).

As for binds, there is a huge difference between your OPINION and ability to ENFORCE that opinion EVENLY to all players in the game or in a specific server. If complex binds weren't intended (which they likely weren't, but they rarely are in any game) then it is up to coders to do something about it. You will go nuts trying to find proof about players who use advanced binds, and end up banning over half of the game.

It is also important to note that certain combinations can also be used with gaming keyboards or even mice. While not as effective as specific combos possible in User.ini they can nicely chain actions to provide medbind to those who have purchased such keyboards or mice. If you completely disable setting up combos for user.ini, you give unfair advantage to those gamers that have specific boards, whereas right now everyone can use the binds.
edit: not to allow misinterpretation, software macros allow setting specific delays between functions and thus are much more reliable than default deus ex binds!

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: aug binds..? - Postby chin.democ. » 05 Aug 2013, 10:05

Lean would be extremely funny to see in multiplayer, I can't help but smile thinking about it! :cool:

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: aug binds..? - Postby ShadowRunner » 05 Aug 2013, 17:52

I can imagine a plethora of sniper maps, like Ghost recon, being killed from 2 miles away, by what you thought was a rabbit and lol, CRATES!

True, medbind doesn't really seem to give much of an edge.

The bind that concerns me, is the scope release bind, that is just stupid and shows you how the basic the maps are, if people can successfully do that, without their scope being hindered, just running around, waiting to let go of a mouse button. The fact that we have players who will argue and defend their right to do that, yet moan about a lack of beginners, just shows you what a waste of time this all is, until people actually start working together.

Return to Deus Ex