Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

63 zone limit? & other questions

Author
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Australia

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby mikak » 02 Mar 2014, 03:04

Magus wrote:Some default values of the player change between single player testing in the editor and MP testing through the game - which one did you do? :D

Poor wrote:The player speed is different in mp.

i see. good to know, thanks guys. i was testing normal singleplayer via 'play lvl' in unrealed. ~ i've changed my jumping component from static geometry like balconies and hvac exhausts, to temporary and thus logically changeable elements like scaffolding and window cleaning infrastructure. thus; can alter the jumping platforms when, if & at need

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Magus » 03 Mar 2014, 09:07

Poor wrote:The player speed is different in mp.

Do you have those values to hand?

-- Magus "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"
Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Poor » 03 Mar 2014, 18:00

SP: 320
MP: 230

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby chin.democ. » 03 Mar 2014, 19:15

I tested a vent in SP mode which worked fine, but I couldn't get into it properly in MP mode. It wasn't the size of the vent but the actual angle of it that wouldn't let me go through, it was simply too steep!

Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Mastakilla » 04 Mar 2014, 04:56

chin.democ. wrote:I tested a vent in SP mode which worked fine, but I couldn't get into it properly in MP mode. It wasn't the size of the vent but the actual angle of it that wouldn't let me go through, it was simply too steep!

lol crouch height in sp is like less then half of what it is in mp I thinks

(pretty sure you can crouch in 32 high in sp?)

Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Poor » 04 Mar 2014, 08:25

mikak wrote:#4) sitpoints. so sitpoints. Palm, smacks into Face. HARD. can we set which sitpoint a pawn will sit at? or set sitpoint= false? occasionally an npc will bump into something on the way to sit down, and then wander over the whole map looking for a seat, finally deciding on the piano stool, or the spare chair in the alley

To make the NPC prefer to sit in a particular seat, you would set the tag of the seat to something like 'chair01' and then set the ScriptedPawn's orders to 'Sitting' and the OrderTag to 'chair01'.

If your NPC are bumping into walls and having trouble navigating the map, you probably didn't create paths for them. If you look at a single player map and enable "Show Paths" in the 3D window, you will see the blue paths that help the NPC navigate the map intelligently.

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Magus » 05 Mar 2014, 19:33

Poor wrote:SP: 320
MP: 230

Ah, so I did use the right value...

However, something I've just considered: Players (like most actors) have a CollisionRadius associated with them that I didn't factor in.

A quick check shows that for players this radius is 20 units, and as we know from the existence of nade climbing, you can be supported on the very edge of this radius without falling.

Therefore, when we add those values in, we should get the following:

Code: Select all
Speed Mult    Peak Jump Height    Forward Distance
1.0           47.368              185.263
1.2           68.211              241.179
1.4           92.842              324.716
1.6           121.263             411.874
1.8           153.474             530.653

More importantly, if we take Poor's given SP ground speed (I trust him :D) and do the calculations, we end up with this:

Code: Select all
Speed Mult    Peak Jump Height    Forward Distance
1.0           47.368              242.105
1.2           68.211              331.032
1.4           92.842              436.126
1.6           121.263             557.389
1.8           153.474             694.821

These figures, when rounded down (to 224, 320, 416, 544 and 672 respectively) correspond with your values from human testing - apart from the Level 2 Speed aug figure, read on for a possible reason why.

The problem with testing things as a human is that humans are rarely consistent - there are always margins for error that reduce the possible accuracy a human can produce with their own bodies (reaction time is a big one). In the case of the level 2 speed aug figure, I believe the error we're seeing is as a result of the timing of the jump - since there's a 40 unit gap between when the outer edge of your collision radius clears the ledge and the inner edge of your collision radius does the same, we have to consider that in your given figures. In fact, if we take the 40 units away from the level 2 speed aug figure I reached here, then everything matches up.

The possibility of 'imperfect' jumps like the level 2 speed aug case brings up an interesting possibility:

A jump can be made more or less difficult based on how close the distance is to the calculated maximum!

Consider the following: You have an item (Let's say a LAM) that you want only the most dedicated players to access - you could easily set the jump distance required to reach it to something fairly close to the maximum (185 units for 0-aug players) and many players will find it difficult to reach simply as a result of their own imperfection.

Another possibility is to have a platform that moves in and out of jump range, either on a timer or based on a button press or some user input elsewhere. There's a lot you can do with this data, so feel free to experiment with it!

-- Magus "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"
mikak
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Australia

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby mikak » 06 Mar 2014, 04:42

Mastakilla wrote:(pretty sure you can crouch in 32 high in sp?)
- i get stuck under some of my desk furniture (41 uu above ground: brush is 40, but the brushes are floating 1 uu off the ground because it stops some cuts). silly jc, crawling under peoples desks looking for datacubes and nanokeys / beer and zyme.

Poor wrote:you probably didn't create paths for them.
- no i didn't :oops: - lol. thanks for pointing out my omission. did some 'light reading' (beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Pathing, /Legacy:Bot_Mind, /Artifical_Intelligence etc). lots of potential. i lay paths and.. sarah mead transitioned from the ground floor to the lvl above, via a stairwell. so proud i could almost cry. \:D/

WOW Magus, just wow. that is beautiful data, thank you so much. now i feel obliged to do something befitting with it.
Attachments
pathnodessadface.JPG
stairwell
pathnodessadface.JPG (88.72 KiB) Viewed 23053 times

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Magus » 06 Mar 2014, 19:43

chin.democ. wrote:I tested a vent in SP mode which worked fine, but I couldn't get into it properly in MP mode. It wasn't the size of the vent but the actual angle of it that wouldn't let me go through, it was simply too steep!

I still think it's a height problem - the problem arises because your collision cylinder is always vertical, even on slopes - thus if you hit the slope and start to ascend before the back edge of your collision cylinder clears the top of the straight tunnel section, you won't be able to proceed (effectively you're bashing the back of your head against the roof of the tunnel)

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby chin.democ. » 06 Mar 2014, 21:18

Yup.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby ShadowRunner » 08 Mar 2014, 11:41

I had this problem on Nexus, I couldn't make angled vents always, was using trial and error. I am not sure what the correct ratio should be... like for every 64 in height gained you should have 160 length... for example, if that is the correct ratio.

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 63 zone limit? & other questions - Postby Magus » 08 Mar 2014, 22:15

ShadowRunner wrote:I had this problem on Nexus, I couldn't make angled vents always, was using trial and error. I am not sure what the correct ratio should be... like for every 64 in height gained you should have 160 length... for example, if that is the correct ratio.

That depends on the angle of the slope, and I don't know offhand how you'd work it out...

Return to Deus Ex