Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED)

Author
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby Poor » 22 Nov 2013, 23:36

I planned on extracting some models with this program. I ran the GUI and when asked where I want to extract the files to I chose the Desktop. Without warning, it deleted over 100 GB worth of personal files, all my movies, shows, music, and ebooks. I now get to spend my weekend attempting to recover my files.

Also happened to some guy on OTP.

That Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler is a *loving* menace. Just now I wanted to extract some textures and I chose the target folder as the root of my Deus Ex installation, without realising that it erases the folder you extract into first. Not only would I have lost the replaceable Deus Ex files themselves, but all my textures, meshes, sounds and classes i.e. several weeks of work (and if I hadn't only started modding DX recently, potentially months' or years' worth). I would have put my fist through the monitor if 'twere not for the judicious use of a file recovery application, which seems to have brought the most important stuff back from the brink.

Whilst this has impressed upon me the importance of backing up; what is the point of it, and why doesn't it warn you first?!

The program does work but not intuitively. When providing a destination for extraction, make sure it is an empty directory. I pass this warning on in hopes this doesn't happen again.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Nov 2013, 00:54

That sucks a lot, thanks for the warning.

DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby DejaVu » 23 Nov 2013, 01:00

In my opinion, if you don't have backup of every important file, you shouldn't be using your PC at all. What would happen if your HD died? There is always a risk for that, so keep your files backed up at all times (having redundancy 2x or more).

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby [FGS]Chees » 23 Nov 2013, 02:25

Cheers Poor. Hope you can get your files back mate.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby chin.democ. » 23 Nov 2013, 14:50

[FGS]Chees wrote:Cheers Poor. Hope you can get your files back mate.

Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby Poor » 24 Nov 2013, 03:06

I was able to recover most of my files. Didn't lose anything important. Sure took a long time though.

Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby Alvind » 24 Nov 2013, 22:56

I'm a victim of this also but caught on before the whole desktop was wiped out lol

Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Warning: Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler (DEED) - Postby Mastakilla » 25 Nov 2013, 02:31

DejaVu wrote:In my opinion, if you don't have backup of every important file, you shouldn't be using your PC at all. What would happen if your HD died? There is always a risk for that, so keep your files backed up at all times (having redundancy 2x or more).

lol I hate that saying, although I agree that you can't complain about lost data if you don't do back ups, what if you simply don't care about your data :-D

Return to Deus Ex