Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

The Problem with MiniMTL

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby TheWolf » 12 Jan 2014, 03:23

Anyone with an unstable connection will get lagged out. You WILL experience warping and can even watch the score clock move radically up, down, too fast, and too slow. I am frustrated that I can not have a game of DXMP because of this. Could the creator of minimtl please look into this?

Ingame: Sev
~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby ~Blade~ » 12 Jan 2014, 04:33

Its really laggy for me as well, and I know lots of others besides ^ who experience the same.
Also, for me demo-recording fails 90% of the times, leading to gpf.

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby Fear » 12 Jan 2014, 05:14

Hah, it might "stop 90% of exploits" but its a terrible feeling broken pile of rubbish compared to ANNA or older versions of miniMTL, what i don't understand is the denial of it.

2004-2014
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby synthetic » 12 Jan 2014, 11:58

Wolf is lagging, Blade set his server up wrong (even I warped like a poor shite there) + could be lagging, Fear generally doesnt know what hes talking about.

Technically, the method miniMTL uses to fix game speed can be considered a poor approach due to the way it reacts to any kind of packetloss, and in itself represents a combo solution to what should be some two separate patches (player patch, game weapons and items recode so server could determine speeds and misc relvant stuff). In reality, without it most players will either knowingly or (also) unknowning cheat and no normal player (if theres any left) will want to play a game like this.

Properly set up timedilation-fixed server offers smooth game to a player that is not lagging. Fact proven by hundreds of hours of testing by now. Anyone who is lagging *will* be warping hard, however.

miniMTL did come with two major bugs: server being prone to crashing (patched), demorecs broken (still broken). If I have to choose between playing with apes who think speedhacking is fun, or between not being able to demorec, for me the choice is fairly simple.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby TheWolf » 12 Jan 2014, 18:18

You're making me loose my patience. Right now I am being denied a DXMP game because I can't play in your servers and people refuse to play in others. I hate to say this is personal but, it might be personal.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby synthetic » 12 Jan 2014, 18:50

You are demanding that I allow massive cheating vulnerabilities in my 16 slot server because your internet is lagging, and *you* say *you* are loosing patience? Without this patch players will have to pinkie-swear that they won't be naughty. I remember playing in gardens that didn't have this patch, and it was absolute metabolic end product fest what was happening there. Nobody trusted another player, most active players were intentionally cheating "because the other guy was, too", and then there was some laggy player called "Sev" that was bitching half of the games even without the latest miniMTL. Yeah, loose patience, things will improve much in DXMP thanks to it.

Technically, I should ban you for warping, because the nature of this fix actually gives you occasional speedhack, as well as slowdown. But I am not going to, because the game struggles to keep players in servers anyway. I have tried talking nice to you, but all you do is demand free cheats for everybody. I am sorry but I don't agree. In the opening post you addressed the coder(s), though, and that much everybody has the right for.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby machete » 12 Jan 2014, 19:09

synthetic wrote:I have tried talking nice to you, but all you do is demand free cheats for everybody.

That's not really fair. He's not demanding cheats, he's demanding a server which doesn't perform terribly for people with poor connections. I know that they're unfortunately the same thing but I think you're misrepresenting his motives.

I wish there was something I could do to keep the miniMTL play fixes without wrecking the playability for the minority of players with legitimate problems. It's a metabolic end product situation for everyone really.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby synthetic » 12 Jan 2014, 20:00

Misrepresenting? I have talked with him in dx server, I have talked with him on facebook, then I have talked with him some more in dx server. In all those places I've constantly tried to help him and let him play. Now, I understand why he would ask for a better fix, the current minimtl solution *is not* ideal, but it is only fix we have. What I don't understand is why he has to bitch at me or in our server all the time after I have spent hours explaining it to him. Wasted hours. He can either play with his occasional warps, lag in some other server alone until people come (and they always do, if you wait enough time), or talk to the creator of the fix. I replied to the comments of the two following people who were "misrepresenting" the effects of the patch in question. Let sev and coders discuss it, but he has no reason to bitch at me. Play or don't play, I only host what is best for the players in my server, and we do not unfortunately allow cheating.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby TheWolf » 12 Jan 2014, 20:57

You can rage at me all you want with your big words which make you feel so great. I have been fairly unaggresive towards you and you decide to just lash out. I did not demand you to give cheats to everybody, stop putting words in my mouth. I asked that you stop refusing to play in non minimtl servers. Put yourself in my boots please.

ricci
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby ricci » 12 Jan 2014, 23:56

Wolf whats the problem? Warping happens when your fps is too high. All you have to do is cap your fps.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby TheWolf » 13 Jan 2014, 00:52

My fps has been capped to 130 for years. The problem is that the new minimtl cause warping in anyone with an unstable connection.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby machete » 13 Jan 2014, 00:56

synthetic wrote:Misrepresenting? I have talked with him in dx server, I have talked with him on facebook, then I have talked with him some more in dx server. In all those places I've constantly tried to help him and let him play. Now, I understand why he would ask for a better fix, the current minimtl solution *is not* ideal, but it is only fix we have. What I don't understand is why he has to bitch at me or in our server all the time after I have spent hours explaining it to him. Wasted hours. He can either play with his occasional warps, lag in some other server alone until people come (and they always do, if you wait enough time), or talk to the creator of the fix. I replied to the comments of the two following people who were "misrepresenting" the effects of the patch in question. Let sev and coders discuss it, but he has no reason to bitch at me. Play or don't play, I only host what is best for the players in my server, and we do not unfortunately allow cheating.

All I meant by "misrepresenting" was that you were implying he wanted us to change server mods so that people could cheat when he doesn't; he wants us to change the server mod so he can actually play. I'm not saying we can do anything about it, just that he has a legitimate reason for wanting a different server mod and that it shouldn't be conflated with the desire to cheat. They're two very different groups of people complaining for very different reasons.

Sev, you have to look at it from our perspective. If we use the latest miniMTL, a small group of people (e.g. you) have severe problems playing and we potentially lose players due to frustration. If we use ANNA or an earlier miniMTL, a sizeable group of people will cheat (intentionally or unintentionally) and we potentially lose players due to frustration. Either way, we run the risk of losing players. We can't win. Server hosts like Ken and, more recently, myself will get an earful either way and it's a bad situation all round. It also sucks for the players, like you, who have trouble in our servers -- just like it would suck for the legitimate players if we were to use a different mod. I think both me and Ken have made our decision to use the latest miniMTL based on simple utilitarian principles. A larger number of people would be adversely affected by rolling back our server mods than are affected by the current situation so we stick with it. I know it sucks but all I can say is that if an alternative arises that can solve our dilemma, I'll immediately jump on it.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby TheWolf » 13 Jan 2014, 02:17

That doesn't explain why you choose not to play in other servers. There is no reason why you can't play in a non minimtl server from time to time.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby machete » 13 Jan 2014, 05:05

TheWolf wrote:That doesn't explain why you choose not to play in other servers. There is no reason why you can't play in a non minimtl server from time to time.

Maybe I will then. Personally I have no strong aversion to sometimes playing on a server where people can cheat. It's just a game, what do I care? :mofu:

You know it's not a deliberate policy of excluding you from playing though. It just unfortunately happens that the main servers (the ones that attract the most players) for the game's two "serious" game types use the speedfix. I tend to follow the herd like a sheep and the herd leads me to patched servers.

Anyway, next time I see you online we can go to a non-miniMTL server for a while and try to get a game going.

In future, please don't complain to me as if I'm doing something wrong though. I've explained my side of the story - about how I'm just trying to setup a decent server for the biggest possible number of players - and I've offered to help you start up some games you can actually play in. I can't do more than that.

Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Problem with MiniMTL - Postby Fear » 13 Jan 2014, 05:15

synthetic wrote:Fear generally doesnt know what hes talking about.

Get fucked ennit.

2004-2014

Return to Deus Ex