Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit.

Author
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby anax » 04 Sep 2014, 20:28

As our great lord and master Darko would say, enjoy in game people, see ya.

Last edited by anax on 15 Mar 2016, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.
AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
Netrunner
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Netrunner » 04 Sep 2014, 20:39

System: Post deleted - Nothing to see here!

Last edited by Netrunner on 04 Sep 2014, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.
anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby anax » 04 Sep 2014, 20:57

Last edited by anax on 15 Mar 2016, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
PREQUEL

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby PREQUEL » 04 Sep 2014, 21:02

This is sad to read, "anHAX". I have a similar opinion about all of this. This game... community,,, perhaps... ah, nvm. It its just weird that this amazing game has such bad community (if the cap fits wear it).

Netrunner
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Netrunner » 04 Sep 2014, 21:10

So you are sad because you are getting kicked from buggy server with cheating admins?

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby anax » 04 Sep 2014, 21:44

Last edited by anax on 15 Mar 2016, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Netrunner
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Netrunner » 04 Sep 2014, 22:02

Don't worry. i got your idea. I thought Hey's aug server is still active, but checked right now and found a tiny surprise.
So if the problem is that there are no decent aug servers, we should host one, right?

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby anax » 04 Sep 2014, 22:11

Netrunner wrote:Don't worry. i got your idea. I thought Hey's aug server is still active, but checked right now and found a tiny surprise.
So if the problem is that there are no decent aug servers, we should host one, right?

yes, i was thinking about that too.
And sorry if i come off as offensive but as you might gather DX is not the most positive experience right now! :bwahaha:

the title itself was written at the height of this rant after having watched and rendered several videos of the accused players abusing their position of power. So having said that, i may still play, just VERY VERY rarely.

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Cozmo » 05 Sep 2014, 00:18

Just had a look at the serverlist for the first time in a while. 5 servers left and two of them are this, wow

You know this game's done when even that kldjrz guy stops hosting his server :bwahaha:

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
Friedman
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Friedman » 05 Sep 2014, 00:49

got around to play a little bit in august after months of inactivity. I uninstalled after a few games because I was always playing against the same 4-5 players
boooooring

what used to keep me active was the community and clans. there is no point in playing if there is only a clan left and zero activity in all forums

AceFighterz wrote:my bro is the king of warnings wow holy metabolic end product i wonder if a could compete against him
Hey
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Hey » 05 Sep 2014, 09:43

This is quite frustrating to hear, I thought that they'd host a good server, not with this admin abuse as you've posted we use to get 13,14 players in at times.

Oh yes I rehosted my server if you're still up for playing - I assume you'll get considerably higher ping but ye.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby anax » 05 Sep 2014, 10:45

Hey wrote:This is quite frustrating to hear, I thought that they'd host a good server, not with this admin abuse as you've posted we use to get 13,14 players in at times.

Oh yes I rehosted my server if you're still up for playing - I assume you'll get considerably higher ping but ye.

Yea rofl, it was a mistake to name the thread at the peak of my frustration while writing.
I'll play, just less often and gonna avoid those two massive idiots somehow.

Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby Mastakilla » 05 Sep 2014, 10:47

Who cares about DXMP, let's just keep the community in touch and play DXSP when feeling nostalgic. Hell, we can always arrange some for fun games through the forums. Serverlist is obviously pathetic and it's not going to be repaired with what we currently got left. We need to evolve, we can't rely on the serverlist and unless a miracle happens or someone has a stroke of genius we're not gonna attract new players anyway :oops:

Also my view on what killed the game, apart from obviously the master server shutting down, is the finger pointing. It's not about what's the best gametype to play, everyone is different and likes different play styles. Auggers can play augs and 0 auggers can play 0 augs and funline players can play funline or whatever. It creates seperation and thins out the dedicated gametype servers but there's nothing you can do about it. What really killed it is people arguing, debating or in the past even forcing a certain type of play on other players. I gotta say it was *loving* annoying being told to play augs when I really don't feel like it. I've played it actively in the past and while I've done allllllllllllllllright, it's just not my thing.

You prefer augs and say it's more pure DX? That's fine. Just don't judge me for not being dedicated to your pure DX gametype, and don't be a nazi about your master race gametype uberproness, lol.

^Obviously this isn't directed at Anax or anyone in this topic, even though I used the word nazi like Anax did. Honestly. But there have been incidents like it and they, for me at least, were a good reason for me to not turn on DX whenever I do have some free time.

Anyway, like I said we can always arrange some games through forums, and whoever isn't on the forum can be contacted through FB or Steam and the like. Doesn't matter what gametype, it's all for good fun.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby synthetic » 06 Sep 2014, 13:26

DXMP is ATDM *and* CTDM at its finest. BTDM is not as well designed, but it works just as same. If I wanted to nitpick, they could've balanced it a bit more, somehow, but I understand that their focus was primarily on ATDM.

0augs is not DXMP nor CTDM. 0augs is a popular and very fun modification that by chance was possible to host in DXMP with only a small mutator and support from CTDM mechanics built in. If a shooter player comes to DXMP, the game will be new experience for him, but 100% of those players will instantly recognize 0augs as every other shooter works out exactly the same. This means that it is very easy to get new players for, and it also means that people are more likely to quit DXMP over better-designed 0aug games. The irony here is that since DXMP is not 0augs, it cannot compete against a game that is, ie counter strike series. Our developers spent money and time making multiplayer that tried to balance shooter with skill system and boost system under tiered and reward mechanics. Counter Strike spent money and time making 0augs. You see the problem.

The one and only problem DXMP itself as a while has, had, and will have, is number of players. It is actually undeniable proof that covers all of our issues that we experience as symptoms.
1) more players = more coders = more anti cheat development; more new content; more bug fixes; potential ports to newer engines
2) more players = more smarter players that can improve the Skill and Quality of the playerbase; that can keep noobs at bay through variety of means
3) more players = more leader-type individuals with clan leadership skills, with community event skills. This leads to better help tutorials, social core websites, far more clan wars and boosts competitive element in the game

If you put a lot of people in a small room, most of them will be dumb, but the ones that aren't will be able to eventually take reason-driven control of the situation once above a certain critical margin. DXMP has been steadily under this margin since its launch.

also:

hey wrote: I thought that they'd host a good server

edit: I also apologize for the massive threads of criticism that I've brought to your forums as of late. There actually isn't much to say, as everything is both obvious and simple to understand. The sheer mass of my posts is simple propaganda that is designed to sway the opinion of masses, and exclusively to counter propaganda from two primary sources: Phantom & Co, and by a certain noob. You will not bother to read our posts, but you will catch certain keywords of interest and they will stick to your mind. There is no particular discussion, flame war, or personal conflict happening. Fear tries to convince you that I am a bad person and kill deus ex off; I try to convince you that a player, who has been talking metabolic end product to me and my friends for 10 years for no reason other than the fact that we can kill him in an online game, is talking out of his hind region. Likewise, Phantom does not have to come here to counter me or defend himself: he has 2-4 players registered on these forums that do it for him, indirectly and through propagandistic means such as creating ATDM group on Steam or trying to chew me out of the game.

What happened to Anax in his server was not something you could predict, or estimate. No. It was *loving* obvious that it'll happen!

edit 2:

I guess all I do is point out issues, without sufficient focus on solutions. From recent and also more extensive experience with the developments in this community, I don't think we have lot of those solutions left. If someone suggests something, it usually is crippled by a swarm of related issues. Like, lets say, we need to advertise DXMP on steam more aggressively. Thats a solution, right? Well, you will use time and energy to attempt to draw in player-resource. So you both start using practically finite resource and it will cost you at the same time (in the form of that time and effort). When that resource comes to DXMP, they see all other issues, and they are less likely to return no matter how much more time and effort you spend. Hence, you have given your own resources, and you have spent the resource you were trying to get.

Core issue is that game is old, bugs and such just pertain to it and it will not be a problem to create better maps or even textures or whatever. Core issue is underlying all of that. One solution would be that we port it using all available people that can and are willing to do something about it. In DXMP, attempts to put such team together have all effectively failed.
Another solution would be to beef up old game and engine in order to downplay it as something both retro and hip, hoping it'll appear nostalgic or otherwise cool somehow. As our coders have determined, it'll still take extensive work that is not reasonable to attempt with only a very few people. Again, attempts to assemble larger groups have failed, for several reasons.

If someone wanted to do something, then Alex, Allan, DejaVu, and a certain guy that was almost done with porting Deus Ex to ut2k4, have left you with breadcrumbs to follow. And if you are lucky, they may still be interested in doing something with you, to some extent or other.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: The Final Straw: i f'ing Quit. - Postby synthetic » 08 Sep 2014, 00:03

On the note of DXMP survival and-or future:

With Smuggler disappeared from the planet, Nobody busy with career, with Alex and (and pretty much everybody else) not getting along with DejaVu, and with Poor et al. having so far other interests, coder force has been fragmented to a point where everybody is doing their own thing, largely alone. Take cozmo, he is porting DXMP. Alone. Sonny helps him here and there, as he learns. Alex has raised several times the point that most Deus Ex resources have been ported to ut2k4 by someone, but nobody else has taken that option seriously. Dejavu claims he can code entire DXMP for latest unreal engines alone, just as long as he has army of modelers and texture artists. Everybody is alone. And forget about, current engine, let alone that many veterans do not take seriously any projects to improve the game on our current engine, the coders themselves cannot come to agreement as to what would have to be done or with whom. As far as development goes, there is no community. There are individuals. If you think about that, maybe you are in time able to prove that I am wrong. As a DXMP fan and vet, I'd hope to play our game years from now still.

What regards noobs and cheating.. if game itself is patched or ported or whatnot, more players will appreciate it and itll actually give a reason to advertise it. Not before, but after. And at that point, sure enough well have more phantoms and such, but we will also have more mature admins that don't let themselves to be dicked around in their own servers. And as such serious servers emerge from growing populace, those who don't like abandoned servers will go and play in servers that are patched and guarded. Or in other words, it is illogical to have community full of cheaters and noobs if there is enough players. Normal player doesnt like cheating and normal player will reckognize a noob. Give us enough players, and Phantom will be nobody. Enough players, and we won't have people that think keeping cheaters unbanned will help the game. It has been desperate years for us, but it is remarkable that DXMP has given us these years at all.

Return to Deus Ex