Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

CaroneElevatorSet.u

Author
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby [FGS]Chees » 24 Nov 2014, 22:30

Whats with several versions of the CaroneElevatorSet.u sick of taking it out the system folder to join servers since day one. Where is one version we can all use and stick to it and spread the word.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby TheWolf » 24 Nov 2014, 22:57

I remember the version i had did not require the triggers. It was convient. I'll look into it later

Ingame: Sev
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby [FGS]Chees » 25 Nov 2014, 00:17

I have both .u versions for obvious reasons but takes the urine it was released in the exact same name. no beta or v1 release named file Go figure. who ever did this needs a slap about the head with a wet rotting fish. :clout:

Hey
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby Hey » 25 Nov 2014, 11:20

Ya had this problem for years, JUST WHY.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby anax » 25 Nov 2014, 15:51

yep, had ye olde mismatch again recently.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby [FGS]Chees » 25 Nov 2014, 16:45

noooo0 not windows 8 OS Anax no wonder you have many problems running everything :bwahaha: :wink:

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby anax » 25 Nov 2014, 17:21

??? have i posted a long list of such problems, not sure what you mean as my DX actually runs really well :-D

Kaiden
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby Kaiden » 26 Nov 2014, 02:44

Mod developer made multiple versions and didn't have the hindsight to give them different names (Not sure if it was [JTB]_DoubleD who made the mod or just utilized it heavily). Not much can be done about it due to maps that are 6 years old using some versions and maps that are 4 years old using others, can't recall a solution ever being found tbh.

{E.D.H}{FPS}HDD21 wrote:I like ponies

<-(DD)->Darko wrote:HDD21 was brutally stronger than any of you
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby Mastakilla » 26 Nov 2014, 15:07

Sounds to me like it was intended for single player (Hotel Carone anyone?), so mismatches weren't much of a concern. Very unfortunate :-D
Deffo wasn't DoubleD, his modding capability was very very basic, he was just very creative with the little resources he did have.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby synthetic » 26 Nov 2014, 20:08

edit.

If same dev made multiple versions then I guess best we can do is stick with the newer one (determine it somehow) and try strip old versions from maps that use it, maybe?

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby anax » 27 Nov 2014, 16:47

I like that idea a lot.

The only problem standing in the way is if there are mappers who are active and...
A: know how to set up elevators, the appropriate movers, brushwork and triggers. and ...
B: are active and willing to map / edit old maps for the current MP scene.

Not sure there's too many mappers who are decent and also active enough or which fit both A and B criteria.

I fit part B and have medium experience but have no idea how to set up elevators, so i guess i'd better start learning!

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 Nov 2014, 17:43

Mastakilla wrote:Sounds to me like it was intended for single player (Hotel Carone anyone?), so mismatches weren't much of a concern. Very unfortunate :-D
Deffo wasn't DoubleD, his modding capability was very very basic, he was just very creative with the little resources he did have.

Carone was the guy's name as well and although Hotel Carone may or may not use the elevator, I think it was invented for MP, the reasons why exactly I am unsure. I've never used it, partially for the mismatch reason and reasons of complication.

It is not difficult to make an elevator and adding doors theoretically is straightforwards, but personally I've never added doors. You would not need to be a mapper, to be able to replace an elevator system in a map. If you can make a door (Steve Tack lesson 2?) and set up a trigger, then you can make an elevator too.

The willingness is not the problem, editing old maps can be. In general I am in favour of minimal editing of certain popular old maps for various reasons or gametypes, but so far I have always obtained permission and been clear about what changes would be made, e.g. DXMP_Skyline. Some very old maps do not behave well in the SDK and serious editing can be a problem, but replacing an elevator system, to make caroneelevator.u a redundant file, it would work.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby anax » 27 Nov 2014, 18:58

Oh i see, i was under the impression the file was essential for setting up an elevator in Ued.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: CaroneElevatorSet.u - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Nov 2014, 16:00

No it is just an alternative elevator system, doing something the original elevator mover does not, but I can not for the life of me remember what that is. OTP say it removed a major bug and added functionality.

Reading this would make you think it is essential to use Carone:
Carone Tutorial: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/tack ... Part1.html

http://www.carone-online.de/HotelCarone/HCESet.htm - Says here it fixes the game from freezing.

Return to Deus Ex