BUG

- Postby Rob » 03 Oct 2006, 22:33

im gettin fed up of iceworld =/

i jus get sk'd all the time >.<

Jon
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

- Postby Jon » 04 Oct 2006, 18:27

Fact is Rob, if the people like it, the people get it - as much as I hate IceWorld, it stays because people enjoy it

synthetic

- Postby synthetic » 04 Oct 2006, 21:32

iceworld is a mean map, and mean means that better players like it because its challenging. SK's are part of the package.

As for mutator, how about mutator that allows "kick map" command, sort of server travel Poll during map. If metabolic end product map gets voted you can vote for another during map and it only changes if something like 60% agrees, or so..

mutator should definately be that doesnt allow voting same map again after certain number of plays, i dont even know if its possible.

GuardianDevil
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby GuardianDevil » 05 Oct 2006, 08:16

Maybe there should be a vote option thing like on Wolfenstein Emeny Territory. It's like you go on the main menu, click on vote then choose what you want to vote on then the message goes on everyones screen and if there are more yes' than no's it will do what the question says. I'll post some screen shots n stuff. I was thinking you could possibly modify that AlrightyGame pm system to do it.

[url=www.nostalgiaclan.co.uk][color=red]~[N]G
Jon
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

- Postby Jon » 05 Oct 2006, 17:46

You're asking the wrong questions - our ability to host it is good, but none of us code here

GuardianDevil
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby GuardianDevil » 05 Oct 2006, 18:37

:o none? :o

So back to topic.

synthetic

- Postby synthetic » 05 Oct 2006, 22:14

Jon wrote:You're asking the wrong questions - our ability to host it is good, but none of us code here

These questions are the result of a brainstorm on the matter while posting. I am well aware that this site is not exactly loaded with active and skilled coders, though one was online at the same time I was, few hours ago.

My questions are hypotetical and sometimes rhetorical, if I and Guardian come up with those mutator ideas it is for your information. If you value the idea I'd expect/hope that you yourself contact someone you know that might be capable of finishing something like the mutators mentioned.

If nobody does anything about it and keeps sliding their empty eyes over the brainstorm lines then yes you are right, this is probably a wrong place for such questions.

------

Even though having voted yes I would have to mention that even though the idea itself is very good the server should probably have traditional name (something icho will probably deside anyway) and have something special to it to attract players, such as the mentioned mutators.

GuardianDevil
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

- Postby GuardianDevil » 06 Oct 2006, 12:42

Acording to my school teachers you can't use the word brainstorm, it's offensive to epileptic people :roll:

I got some screen shots of that Wolfenstein thing;

Then that little Y: 1 N: 0 thing comes up on everyones screen then if you press F1 you vote for yes and F2 for No, then if there are more yes' it does what the vote was. unless it was a question then it doesn't do anything.

edit: Maybe this mutator should only be allowed to be called so many times a map so then someone doesn't like spam the game with it.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 06 Oct 2006, 14:05

sorry bout my long post before... a GM type server would be good. I think DXMS is great as it is though. DXMS is a testbed for mappers and offers something new to players. My maps are playable because of DXMS support which is genuine etc, FGS is the same, testbeds for new ideas. There seem to be a lot of default map servers already? Why default? For the nostalgia?

synthetic

- Postby synthetic » 06 Oct 2006, 19:36

nostalgia might be correct word, some people just dont like anything different than default.

Jon
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

- Postby Jon » 06 Oct 2006, 20:00

then people don't realise that DX is dying - a balance of editing and playing is needed, and is pertially satisfied by FGS. As we get better at editing, and if you would take the time to see why we love mapping so much, maybe you could appreciate the current situation in a different view

synthetic

- Postby synthetic » 07 Oct 2006, 09:38

Jon wrote:then people don't realise that DX is dying - a balance of editing and playing is needed, and is pertially satisfied by FGS. As we get better at editing, and if you would take the time to see why we *XXX* mapping so much, maybe you could appreciate the current situation in a different view

For some reason I get the feeling that as you have consentrated more on mapping you have also constantly distanced yourself from the reality. And no, I dont think that based on your post alone. It seems to be a trend among mappers or "leading figures" like nochanc. It is probably due to the fact you believe you can make a difference the way you see fit and forget that the community is not a mass you can change as you like.
There are very few actual players that can be assed to play those fun mods or maps, and because mostly these players have not played the game long enough to even reach average skill they also fail at giving everybody else a game.
I am not saying this to just bitch at you, sure you gain something from mapping the way you map. Emotions, experience, what not. But you just cant hope that everybody will storm your creations in, as you said, "dead game" the moment when you lot happily cheer when new DXMS package is being released.
If you make a mod you have to stricktly consentrate on certain gametype and make the map as the community would like, which means it should probably contain few elements from smuggler, not the build, but size, the simplicity, routes, and so on. But its hard to say whats successful and whats not. Dust is successful but you didnt create it as is, you converted it and did good job by doing so.
And again Id like to tell you that the only people who dont realise the game is dying is probably the sort of fans your maps generally attract, and that means people who have played perhaps less than 6 months.
I am not concerned by it, deus ex hasnt been alive since i started playing it over 2 years ago.

edit: id also like to remind you that in dx there are currently 3 gametypes I consider gametypes that arent totally hopeless. Augs, 0Augs, AG. I do not dare to include SG to that list.
Id especially like seeing AG supported.
All three have potential even today, but firstly it needs good server by reasonable and mature admins, then it needs balanced and innovative mods, might it be AG or miniMTL, and then it needs maps that are made with only that one gametype in mind. Made by a person who knows what one or the other is about.
0augers usually want to go for a kill straight from spawn, it means thye wont like a maze, and lot more. Augers like to be able to rush to the target and annihilate it in map that provides space for the battle and also numerous exits when he needs to flee or make tactical moves. Smuggler is good for both though in augs the small map seems even smaller.
DXAG should be made with completely different values in mind, in a way id even say its easier to do. I think it would be very very nice if you could reach some agreement with mrBlack and make some map for him, perhaps when he plans to upgrade the mod.

Return to Deus Ex