Happy new year DXMP [2021]

Author
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Brazil

Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby DxPlayer » 03 Jan 2021, 05:59

Happy 2021!!!

It has been ages, a lot more than ten years, since most of us inhabited the lobby of DXMP routinely. That time we got to experience together was the time of another internet, another era, and we were all different people than who we are today.

Sometimes I think about how most multiplayer games today are so well structured but also so hard to modify and experience community modifications, and how most communities are so overwhelmingly big. I think Deus Ex and UE1 games from that time gave us this unique window to experience what were basically combinations of AAA studio efforts and small community efforts, with many players participating in building the game.

I recall DXMP being partially a wild west, it was only made safer because of efforts like Nephthys, DXMTL, ANNA and others. We still had wild security flaws sometimes, like server admins being able to execute arbitrary commands on other players' computers, that sort of stuff is unthinkable today. I also remember there was this debug/edit-variables-sort-of window that could pop up in multiplayer matches and would allow the player to cheat on weird situations (like changing the minimal distance to interact with doors and buttons!!!), on the call of a console command.

I remember a lot of the custom tools and mods the community made, provided to download and hosted on their own servers, had me often thinking to myself during my early teenager years "damn, how did this person do this?!"

No other multiplayer game was as interesting to me, partially because of those quirks, and mostly because of the proactive community, producing game-changing content non-stop, and everyone all-around being really reachable (there were no big streamers nor celebrities, and our community was kind of small anyway - comparing with today's games scale -, interacting in forums such as this).

As part of the transformations the internet experienced, going from semi-wild-west to basically the walled gardens we have today, we lost a lot of good posters, texts, blog entries and friends along the way (GameSpy closed, Xfire closed, we lost the most popular master servers, forums closed and self-hosted communities weren't properly achieved, etc).

I'm posting this because an old DXMP friend ([CDF] Laro) of mine recently reached me through Discord so I was once again made to reflect and remember a lot of my time playing DXMP. That DXMP Discord server sure is bringing back memories, lots of familiar nicknames.

I would like to say that playing this game with you all certainly made me part of what I am today. The >say command on the bottom left of the screen was basically where I practised most of my written English at the time, and years after the game I got into computer networks certifications, a computer science degree and a masters too! The first time I ever wrote code was in the precarious UE1 Map Editor for Deus Ex code window, the first command-line tool I seriously used was UCC, and today I'm a professional developer and also a teacher of related subjects.

To whoever is reading this, Cheers!
:D

Kaiden
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby Kaiden » 08 Jan 2021, 02:08

Enjoy in happy to you too :wave:

{E.D.H}{FPS}HDD21 wrote:I like ponies

<-(DD)->Darko wrote:HDD21 was brutally stronger than any of you
RodNeySaLaMi
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby RodNeySaLaMi » 10 Jan 2021, 09:07

Hi DXPlayer happy new year

==================
Smell The Glove
==================

https://youtu.be/gw0TEAadKu0
Dark191
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Nationality:
Bangladesh

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby Dark191 » 11 Jan 2021, 23:04

Happy new year DXplayer

<-(DD)->Darko wrote:Ouch ouch ouch ouch

DXMP Server:
DX coop (HX) server:
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby ShadowRunner » 04 Feb 2021, 00:05

Brilliant post. So true. DXMP was a very creative community which achieved a lot. So many good memories of maps, players, moments and vibes.

I remember the fallen FGS members like Dammit and Kosh. I remember FGS as a great clan, great group of people.

Would be great to see a concerted effort by people to bring new content, supported by Eidos. Multiplayer RPG was awesome.

flaw
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby flaw » 04 Feb 2021, 07:41

Happy 2021!

Hi DxPlayer. Deus Ex was one of the first games I remember buying off the shelf in its original box at Best Buy. That was before my other first love, C&C Red Alert 2 / Yuri’s Revenge. AOL dial-up was all the rage back then. I miss all the people I use to play with in this community. I enjoyed all the servers no matter where they were hosted, US, EU. I enjoyed multiple game types, augs, 0 aug, any kind of mixture or customization.

I grew up with this game, the internet and PCs. Being able to go from dial-up to 768k DSL, 1.5 Mbps DSL, 7 or 8 Mbps DSL, 20 Mbps cable. All pretty cool to watch evolve. Seeing CPUs and GPUs skyrocket in speed and performance. I ended up loving computers, networks and software (open source <3). Back in the day MSN messenger and a little bit of AIM was the place for keeping in touch. I do miss all the old sites and forums, most importantly, the people. What ever happened to all the EDH/DIOS players and servers?

I miss the people I played with on a regular basis and find myself wondering where they are in their lives now. I ended up working in the military in telecommunications/IT. I now get to teach, coach and mentor. I have been able to earn multiple professional (IT related) certifications and I am halfway through my associates now in IT Support. After that I plan on starting a bachelor’s in cyber security / information assurance. This was all formatted way better but I got logged out and lost everything, lol.

Cheers, DXMP community.

Tidus
OWNAGE
OWNAGE

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby Tidus » 08 Feb 2021, 02:39

Happy New year everyone!

when i think about when i played deus ex for the first time and when i joined the first ever multiplayer match makes me feel older than i probably am.
Its been over 16 years by now since i first touched the multiplayer part of deus ex and even longer for the normal singleplayer experience. crazy.
I was around 12~13 years old when i played deus ex back then... dont tell anyone

Met so many great people while playing multiplayer, had many very good challenges over the years of active play and had so many fun memories that im glad i experienced it all.
Deus ex has a very special place in my hearth and i will always remember those times. They will never come back but we are all here to remember them all.

deus ex was also one of the very few online multiplayer shooter games i really wanted to play and had fun while doing it. Other honorable mentions would be unreal tournament, enemy territory or counter strike 1.6 which held my attention more than a few days. Deus ex however kept me playing for years, maybe even a decade. Thats an achievement and a sign of a very active and awesome community that went above and beyond with mods, maps, mutators and so on. even our trademark server was heavily modified with zero gravity, UT weapons and exploding bodies. exploding bodies!! what more do you want.

Not sure how to end this post but whoever reads this and played games with me im pretty sure we had lots of fun one way or another. either as allys or enemys giving a good challenge.
I say thank you and hope everyone is doing great in these difficult times.

"JC! JC! the net's going, the nets going black! JC! No more youtube, no more facebooks of any kind, we will start over, use command lines, if you get this then FIND US! FIND US!"

Albert Einstein once said: "Technical progress is like an ax in the hands of a pathological criminal."
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 09 Feb 2021, 22:14

Hey Tidus, WELCOME BACK and don't worry NOBODY READS YOUR POST! :-D
The forum has fallen into a deep sleep but it is still there and it will be there as long as I breathe! :matrix:

You are right, the DXMP-era has been an awesome and long lasting one but nothing lasts forever.
If I recall correct my DXMP time started around 2002/2003 with approx 15 years of age.
My English was terribly broken and I almost failed to join GODZ back in the days because I didn't properly understand what Nochanc, former GODZ leader, called me to do to pass the test. :bwahaha:

Well, these days I'm more than twice as old (and my English turned at least a bit better).
Time's moving fast and the older you get, the faster the time passes by.
I just noticed that yesterday.. I came across some debate where someone decompiled SuperRocket in order to extend it.
I was like wtf that mod is 17 years old and ain't gonna get decompiled! :mofu:
After saying that I noticed the weight of that statement.. 17 years. Wtf, where has the time gone?

Anyway, it's pointless to look back. We need to look forward. Stuff like MSN and ICQ and AIM are gone but those of the DXMP community who are left-over, use modern communication platforms like Discord now and that's a good alternative to keep contact and to organize stuff, if there's a desire.
If you're interested I can pass you a Discord invitation link to our DX-HQ Community server!

So year, nice to see you around here and giving out old beloved place a visit! :D

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
Tidus
OWNAGE
OWNAGE

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby Tidus » 10 Feb 2021, 04:45

Nobody is always there.. lurking :-D

If i think about the time when i wanted to join FGS and had trouble forming a normal sentence in english, im still suprised that i got accepted.
Like back then FGS was all elite for me with cool members and i wanted to join there? I couldnt even write english properly, nevermind my speaking capabilitys.

But yea pass me that invitation, i would gladly join. Maybe i hop into a game or two again if i catch some action happening.

"JC! JC! the net's going, the nets going black! JC! No more youtube, no more facebooks of any kind, we will start over, use command lines, if you get this then FIND US! FIND US!"

Albert Einstein once said: "Technical progress is like an ax in the hands of a pathological criminal."
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 12 Feb 2021, 23:30

Tidus wrote:Nobody is always there.. lurking :-D

If i think about the time when i wanted to join FGS and had trouble forming a normal sentence in english, im still suprised that i got accepted.
Like back then FGS was all elite for me with cool members and i wanted to join there? I couldnt even write english properly, nevermind my speaking capabilitys.

But yea pass me that invitation, i would gladly join. Maybe i hop into a game or two again if i catch some action happening.
Haha yeah I know what you mean.. but thank god FGS was a German clan in origin. :matrix:

So yeah, if you're familiar with Discord and wanna give us a visit, come to the Deus Ex Community HQ :cool:

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 16 Apr 2021, 13:40

DxPlayer wrote:Happy 2021!!!

It has been ages, a lot more than ten years, since most of us inhabited the lobby of DXMP routinely.
Spoiler:
That time we got to experience together was the time of another internet, another era, and we were all different people than who we are today.

Sometimes I think about how most multiplayer games today are so well structured but also so hard to modify and experience community modifications, and how most communities are so overwhelmingly big. I think Deus Ex and UE1 games from that time gave us this unique window to experience what were basically combinations of AAA studio efforts and small community efforts, with many players participating in building the game.

I recall DXMP being partially a wild west, it was only made safer because of efforts like Nephthys, DXMTL, ANNA and others. We still had wild security flaws sometimes, like server admins being able to execute arbitrary commands on other players' computers, that sort of stuff is unthinkable today. I also remember there was this debug/edit-variables-sort-of window that could pop up in multiplayer matches and would allow the player to cheat on weird situations (like changing the minimal distance to interact with doors and buttons!!!), on the call of a console command.

I remember a lot of the custom tools and mods the community made, provided to download and hosted on their own servers, had me often thinking to myself during my early teenager years "damn, how did this person do this?!"

No other multiplayer game was as interesting to me, partially because of those quirks, and mostly because of the proactive community, producing game-changing content non-stop, and everyone all-around being really reachable (there were no big streamers nor celebrities, and our community was kind of small anyway - comparing with today's games scale -, interacting in forums such as this).

As part of the transformations the internet experienced, going from semi-wild-west to basically the walled gardens we have today, we lost a lot of good posters, texts, blog entries and friends along the way (GameSpy closed, Xfire closed, we lost the most popular master servers, forums closed and self-hosted communities weren't properly achieved, etc).

I'm posting this because an old DXMP friend ([CDF] Laro) of mine recently reached me through Discord so I was once again made to reflect and remember a lot of my time playing DXMP. That DXMP Discord server sure is bringing back memories, lots of familiar nicknames.

I would like to say that playing this game with you all certainly made me part of what I am today. The >say command on the bottom left of the screen was basically where I practised most of my written English at the time, and years after the game I got into computer networks certifications, a computer science degree and a masters too! The first time I ever wrote code was in the precarious UE1 Map Editor for Deus Ex code window, the first command-line tool I seriously used was UCC, and today I'm a professional developer and also a teacher of related subjects.

Oh my the memories! I just stumbled upon gravity-world, opened this thread and damn I could relate 100%

This game and the people playing it made such a strong impact on my life I could talk about it all day!

I'm so thankful for the amazing games, the friends I met here and the wonderful memories of team work community building and all the crazy fun we had playing DXMP!

To those of you still playing I salute you fine sailors, keep this fucker alive so that our grand children may see it! It's 2021 and certain *loving* german servers sure look like they ain't going anywhere! There used to be rumors the admin already looked like this 10 years ago:

I miss all of you hoes and hope you're all doing great these days O:)

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby synthetic » 18 Apr 2021, 16:59

ShadowRunner wrote:I remember the fallen FGS members like Dammit

Wait, Dammit died, or am I misreading it somehow? I was briefly in EoD/MoH with him in 2004, and I know dude was old already then

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 26 Apr 2021, 22:11

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:
DxPlayer wrote:Happy 2021!!!

It has been ages, a lot more than ten years, since most of us inhabited the lobby of DXMP routinely.
Spoiler:
That time we got to experience together was the time of another internet, another era, and we were all different people than who we are today.

Oh my the memories! I just stumbled upon gravity-world, opened this thread and damn I could relate 100%

This game and the people playing it made such a strong impact on my life I could talk about it all day!

I'm so thankful for the amazing games, the friends I met here and the wonderful memories of team work community building and all the crazy fun we had playing DXMP!

To those of you still playing I salute you fine sailors, keep this fucker alive so that our grand children may see it! It's 2021 and certain *loving* german servers sure look like they ain't going anywhere! There used to be rumors the admin already looked like this 10 years ago:

I miss all of you hoes and hope you're all doing great these days O:)

BIGFOOT, you stumbled upon gravity-world??
I DEMAND REGULAR PRESENCE, JA! :-D

Nice to see u here anyway! <3

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 03 May 2021, 00:13

Never late and never early, a bigfoot arrives precisely when he means to :-D Great too see you too Noods! Thanks for keeping this place alive it's SOOO crazy to look at FGS servers still up and running with the maps I remember.. I absolutely must play again ffs! How are you doing?

I'm so relieved to see the uncontrollable traffic of new visitors from these past years haven't threatened my #3 top spammer status \:D/

How's DXMP activity been btw are there regular players? Any new ones?

Ermac
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Happy new year DXMP [2021] - Postby Ermac » 03 May 2021, 23:45

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:How's DXMP activity been btw are there regular players? Any new ones?

R u jokin dude?

Return to Deus Ex