Board index Downloads Deus Ex ]

Anyone interested in a server pool?

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 15 Feb 2014, 04:38

Hello, as we know CS has shut down. With that brings the collapse of decent pinged servers for some. I3D exists but for some it does not cut it. With that being said I propose the idea of an american server pool, where hosters join together, and each pay a share of a dedicated server bill. List of people who are definately in:

Sev - 2 servers
Tejas - 1 server

List of people I'd like to respond yes or no to this. If yes, how many servers are you looking to host?
Bam
Poor
Lox
Exercism
Hasharin
Karky
9099ER

I've been checking out this company: http://www.nfoservers.com/virtual-dedic ... entals.php

Ingame: Sev
bamz0rz
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby bamz0rz » 15 Feb 2014, 16:45

Hey, please explain what you mean by dedicated server. Do you mean we rent one dedicated server and run like 15 servers off of it?

Ok, I checked out the link. I'm not impressed...

Those are not dedicated servers as I thought. Those are VPS which I currently pay $8 for mine which hosts Poor's WW2 server. If you want to go that route, its imo, the most cost efficient route.

This is what I propose. NFOservers' prices is like $30. For around that price, we could get a real dedicated server box, which could host prolly unlimited dxmp servers considering, not more than 4 servers are full at a time. I have experience setting up dx servers on vps so I could definitely help teach you guys, if you don't know how, how to run your servers. Poor learned it pretty quick, and he's manages the WW2 server now.

Or, if we want to get a VPS like the NFOserver, then I suggest not paying anywhere near what they are asking. Sure they offer teamspeak but we can install the ourselves on any VPS that we get.

I think the most important part of a dxmp server besides the specs, is the location. Let find a location that we agree upon, and then work from there. Since you're Canadian and I'm in US NY, I think we would agree on server locations perhaps in canada or in NY, where we'd ping low.

Anyways, lets find a location, I'll look for some great deals on servers for that location, then post more options. IMO, nfo servers is way overpriced, considering their "VDS" is the same as VPS.

Last edited by bamz0rz on 15 Feb 2014, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 15 Feb 2014, 17:16

bamz0rz wrote:Hey, please explain what you mean by dedicated server. Do you mean we rent one dedicated server and run like 15 servers off of it?

Yep, or we could use a large virtual server like the one in the like above.

I vote for a chicago, or central US server.

bamz0rz
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby bamz0rz » 16 Feb 2014, 05:13

chicago is fine with me, i'll start looking

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby ShadowRunner » 16 Feb 2014, 09:01

why is the cost of a box in USA like half the price of renting a box in the UK.

For $30 a month I could rent a whole box myself and donate a server, I wouldn't need so many.

How many servers exactly could I run on one NFO box then. I'm under the impression this depends on the number of slots per server and the CPU drainage of the mod in particular being run.

I wouldn't rush off to NFO and start talking deals until you have recruited the maximum number of people involved. The reason being if you end up wanting to rent actually 2 or 3 boxes, then if they are like GD, there is a deal to be negotiated, half price on second box or something similar.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 16 Feb 2014, 19:54

Bam also check out Missouri area. I like the idea of a central US server. Shadow I don't know the specs of a DXMP server. I wish someone knew and could post it here. I'd be interested in 2-3 servers: Tact, CozmoRPG, 0a/btdm. To anybody reading this: if you're going to comment about how those gametypes aren't real DXMP and are a waste of money, don't post your opinion and derail this topic, please.

bamz0rz
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby bamz0rz » 17 Feb 2014, 18:23

bro, dxmp servers do not require much cpu power imo. At least when I check poor's wwii server, the highest cpu use I've seen is around 20%. keep in mind that is a vps, and a lot of vps use cpu slice, which means say the actualy server box has 1x 2.0 ghz core split between 10 vps, then you have 200 mhz cpu slice. and so only 20% of that 200mhz is being used. for ram I forgot how much dxmp actually uses but it is very little.

in other words, dxmp servers should run on very minimal settings. like I said, if we get a dedicated server, i'm confident we could host those gametypes well, even when all servers are crowded, which just about never happens.

@shadow, these servers require you to setup deus ex. this is not renting a server and price is based on number of slots. so, in other words, for one set price, we could host as many server as we wanted with as many slots as we wanted, but i believe dx is hardcoded pri to 32 people max.

check these out it kansas city (these are dedicated servers):
- https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/
- https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/
- http://www.codero.com/dedicated-server-hosting/

Last edited by bamz0rz on 17 Feb 2014, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 17 Feb 2014, 18:40

Trialing a NFO server, go check it out. Sev's Server(testing). Each core is 3.4ghz. Based on your numbers we can fit ALOT of servers on the $20 windows plan.

bamz0rz
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby bamz0rz » 17 Feb 2014, 18:50

so sev, did you install deus ex? is it running linux?

keep in mind, those are VDS, as they say, they are not running on bare hardware, like a true dedicated server is. For $30-$40, we could get a true dedicated server. at similar specs, a true dedicated server should always be faster than a VDS/VPS

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 17 Feb 2014, 19:26

It's a windows one. Linux is $10 cheaper. I can see the ping hit the 90s(WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO) but it spikes up to 140. Maybe Chicago isn't a good location choice for me. Perhaps a little further west?

bamz0rz
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby bamz0rz » 17 Feb 2014, 19:31

if you know you have a very solid internet connection, it's possible the ping spikes may be result of server? the list above is in kansas,

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 17 Feb 2014, 19:41

Can't say my connection is stable, but I've never seen big ping spikes like that. Good thing they allow a 2 day trial. Missouri gives me in the 60s - 80s(NICE). Are you okay with a Missouri server? Tejas will be okay with it, seeing as he is from Texas

bamz0rz
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby bamz0rz » 17 Feb 2014, 20:27

yea, I'm fine with a kansas server, honestly, the only people who really care that much about ping, are the atdm/0 auggers. i care more about playing something fun lol.

ok, which of those servers are you interested in?

i will ask poor to migrate his server from our current vps to this new one if we go ahead with this.

TO DECIDE:
1. which company do we want
2. what OS? linux is cheaper, windows is more convenient to install dx. both run fine, (im going to recommend windows though)
3. how to split the cost. i think lets just split it evenly.
4. around how many server are we planning to host? (i'm hosting two max, i figure sev will host at least 4, and tejas around 4)

IDEAS:
1. ramdisk. basically, if anyone wants their server to be super high performance, lets run their servers from a ramdisk and dedicate a core to the server

I'm leaning towards this one:
https://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=235 Its $44 with windows, without $30. and that's a frikin Phenom II x4 cpu lol, also, we could dump windows and use that money to get a 120gb SSD which all around should improve performance

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby TheWolf » 18 Feb 2014, 01:10

I'm undecided on the Linux/SD, or Windows/HD. I'm unsure on my servers, for sure ill host a Cozmo RPG and Tact. Probably 0a. Tejas and I could share a BTDM in which he will change the settings when he wants to train some friends. The company we deal with is your call, since I don't have experience with server companies. Just so you know, I have a Deus Ex disk image uploaded to my dropbox, so when we get this started ask me for the link.

DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Anyone interested in a server pool? - Postby DejaVu » 20 Feb 2014, 02:03

I wouldn't recommend VPS for a game server. Good game server is all about low latency, you do not want to add extra latency to all usually already high network latency, do you?

The CPU usage you may see in taskmanager might not be high, but even tiny increase means big increase in latency, because we measure it in milliseconds. Use "inject userflag 1" command to see how much extra latency is put on to your regular "ping" to the server. Sum act and net together and you have extra ms added to your ping. Good server should have CPU usage in taskmanager 0%, or close to 0% (when measuring average values, it should be 0-2% only).

DX does not have linux binaries; having linux server means you need to emulate server somehow - that puts on additional cycles which means extra latency. Windows is the only option to go with.

If you ask me, you should find dedicated (non VPS) server with INTEL CPU that is as new as possible and with as high clock frequency as possible. It does not matter how many cores it has - in fact, it is better it has only 2 cores, because 2 cores CPUs are usually clocked higher and are cheaper. Good choice are latests Haswell Pentium chips, clocked 3ghz+. They are very cheap and can most likely run 32 slot dx server without any extra lag. The good old C2D CPUs (try to find ones with high clock, 3ghz+) would still be a good choice, far better than using a VPS.

DX server uses at most around 100 meg of ram. How much RAM server needs depends on how many DX servers you would like to run. Simple math, and add some on top for OS.

RAMDisk is not needed. It only helps with map switching and starting of server. It has no effect on in-game latencies. Reason; all needed files for game are loaded in memory on map load and all writes to log file are done asynchronously. Whoever tells you that RAMDisk will increase performance of your gameplay in server is a f.u.c.k.i.n.g mo.ron.

I would also like to repeat that servers performance greatly depends on what kind of gametype/mod you run. Hosting miniMTL will definitely give you greater performance with lower CPU usage compared to stock DXMP, because miniMTL has various optimizations to reduce server load (no more spawning of visual effects on server side).

Return to Deus Ex