Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex Questions about DeusEx ]

DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE?

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 Dec 2010, 19:28

Since today, 0-aug server is banning like 1 person a game or sometimes 2 or 3 different people at least.

Obviously this is a problem.

Whiplash reckons these are people using DXFIX and MTL is banning them all, but if that is true, then why is it suddenly happening today, that a million people are trying to use that server for the first time. I didnt announce Elias, because it is not definite, so is it the same person, I dont think so. It is strange.
The only thing that has changed since yesterday, besides a couple of maps, is that Telnet was installed.
I doubt that too. Why suddenly a telnet issue, its been installed on RTK before.

If its not the same person with a dynamic IP whose very fast at reconnecting, then wtf

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~Blade~ » 22 Dec 2010, 21:28

fink tis crd or whatever its called

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 23 Dec 2010, 18:01

Well.. weird is why it always happens on random players.. I haven't seen a player getting banned that got a proper player name yet. :?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ShadowRunner » 24 Dec 2010, 07:55

That could be explained by whiplash's theory that these are players using DXFix. It is the first time they are connecting to MP. I don't know much about DXFix, but isn't that for Steam players who want to add mods to their DX? Rewrites the exe?

It is a shocking amount of connections and bans though.

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~Blade~ » 24 Dec 2010, 17:13

Have not seen it in any other server.

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby Mastakilla » 27 Dec 2010, 14:35

I remember CRD banning random people sometimes, does it give everyone in the server a message aswell? Saying the player got banned for console cheating or something?

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 Dec 2010, 19:43

yes exactly that. I cleared the banlist on the 24th, it will be interesting to see what state it is in.

Also as Noodz pointed, it's banning only aliased players "Player_123" etc.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 27 Dec 2010, 23:55

But I don't think that this aliased/random player names are the cause.. they're just typical for the group of people who happen to get banned.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~Blade~ » 28 Dec 2010, 16:55

once i saw a player (with a proper name) leave the server, then when he can back, he had the name Player_### (it said this guy previously played as the 'proper' name) and then he got banned for cheating (console). Then timed out ...

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

I really will.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ShadowRunner » 29 Dec 2010, 20:57

OK, so could it be banning only people trying DX for the first time.
I notice the bans happen more when server is busier. So perhaps they are first time guys, following the crowd.
And that is why we never see a named player getting banned?

Could it be that someone is cheating on server and this messes up CRD?
Some of us have noticed recently people disappearing and re-appearing, you enter a room, think it's empty and suddenly someone is pumping you with lead. Also I wonder about some rifle bug recently, seeing fast snipers and if scoped, then was very impressive.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 29 Dec 2010, 23:51

ShadowRunner wrote:OK, so could it be banning only people trying DX for the first time.
Hmm... That's contrary to what Blade experienced.

ShadowRunner wrote:I notice the bans happen more when server is busier.
I can just say that my guess is that CRD interprets a lack of information (due to net activity) as potential cheat and bans people.. but without log, I cannot prove it.

ShadowRunner wrote:Could it be that someone is cheating on server and this messes up CRD?
I doubt it.. :?

Edit: ok, I managed to check the running log and I figured out something..

Normally when a player joins, a player object is spawned and bound to the client. On 0aug it's either DXMTL152b1.MTLNSF or DXMTL152b1.MTLUNATCO.
However, in some single cases, a player object is spawned but one of the existing MTLPDummy objects of DXTelnetAdmin get assigned to those players.
CRD then tries to do the console check on the dummy object which will certainly fail... then those players get kickbanned.
But it doesn't happen to all players, though.. I just tried it with myself with a random name several times but I never got banned... :?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby chin.democ. » 30 Dec 2010, 01:26

So is telnet the problem?

This is an important time for DX, we don't need these bans.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 30 Dec 2010, 01:35

Allright..

I think I have figured out why it assigns a DXTelnetAdmin.MTLPDummy object to the players.
I was just checking the gameInfo's login function and from what I see it does NOT always spawn a new player object for a player-client.

For each joining client, it iterates through the player list and checks every player object for the following conditions..

1. The "player" variable of the player object is none (a variable which represents a connection to a client): On a connected player object this is is not none but on the MTLPDummy it IS

2. The player object got a PlayerReplicationInfo object: matches to normal players and MTLPDummys

3. The bISPlayer property of the player object is true: that's the case on normal players but NOT on spectators (the MTLPDummy class is a spectator class but it must be true nonetheless)

4. The most significant thing: The player name of the player object must match with the provided player name of the joining player! (which is the case on random players!)

If ALL that conditions match, the checked player object gets asssigned to the player.
If it couldn't find a player object matching this criteria, it spawns a new player object for the joining client (which it's supposed to to normally).

THUS...
The solution for the problem is to recompile DXTelnetAdmin and give the MTLPDummys another name instead of "Player" :o

Edit:
The only problem is that the code for the latest telnet is on my PC at uni location.
I won't have access to it before the 2th January.. when I'm back there..

I'll either remove DXTelnetAdmin or add a small serverside fix, by then.

Edit#2:
Alright.. I made a small fix now and added it to the server. I also erased the banlist because I assume most of them are victims of the bug.
Let's see if the banlist fills up again.. :o

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby ~DJ~ » 30 Dec 2010, 03:20

gogogogo nobody. :$

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXFIX/TELNET ISSUE? - Postby chin.democ. » 31 Dec 2010, 00:59

So there was something in the whole player name which would make sense from what we've seen good work, fancy calling the telnet default name as player though,
You asked for this!
I never asked for this!,
It wont stop banning people...
I'll never stop being Nobody ...

:matrix:

Return to Questions about DeusEx