Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex Questions about DeusEx ]

Framerate based action times; discussion

Author
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ~Blade~ » 04 Jan 2013, 15:54

yea same as nobody and ken said i'd also like to get my hands on this assault rifle timer thing, i want to do some more tests (I'm good with numbers->statistician) to determine what fps the fire rates increase after, with more precision.

My previous tests told me that the fire rates increase from in game fps of around 200 (in dx.ini thats frameratelimit=150), but with this timer i can do this test with more precision, also because of that we could determine by how much it increases when it does increase, at specific fps values; or as ken thinks, decrease at fps below. I could gather some useful information with this.

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 04 Jan 2013, 16:08

However, I can confirm, that the gamespeed is not entirely dependent from the fps.
Once, my DX was behaving very odd.. when my fps was normal < 150 fps, everything was fine, but sometimes my fps suddenly increased to about 300 and everything was like slomo! :crazy:

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby synthetic » 04 Jan 2013, 16:29

its something to do with processor i think, but it still seems your fps gave away the weird speed (here being slowed down)

I've once in my life gotten slowed down dx, on PC, but I've heard about this since Common Ground forums that it happens on laptops, or used to happen, and wasn't too rare at all. It felt like matrix mode, and I wondered if it would give me bullet-time like advantage, but instead it was a clear and undoubtable disadvantage, as mr Raiden repeatedly showed me on smuggler.

I've also played dxmp with 20 000 fps. I'm not entirely sure how it looked for everyone else in the server, but lets just say that for my client it was very... very slow..

(edit: before someone bites my head off, its probably necessary to note that this 20000 fps was probably a side effect of the game being slowed down to a point where there wasn't much for graphics card to process -- normally my pc cannot reach anything near that)

it took me 5-10 minutes on a51 to get from hangar spawn to half way hangar door. I know because I was so bored I didn't bother to restart dx/pc, and instead stayed to play.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ShadowRunner » 05 Jan 2013, 14:58

Apologies for the off-topic.

I did the test and found it varied more if strafing or moving in certain ways, but I couldn't see how that would affect much, since aim is already affected. Seems to be burst length as well.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby synthetic » 05 Jan 2013, 23:33

Wouldn't burst length be directly dependent on the shottime Poor is checking? Curious, if moving makes you shoot *faster* O.o

I personally would request some kind of time check for killing an enemy, for testing purposes. So far the tests show that you don't gain almost any increase in firing rate before 250 FPS (if animation time and shottime are to go by), but there is definitely something weird going on already from 100s. I just have no idea what else it would be. I die faster if I cap fps to 150, and I die slower if its 60. Any idea why? If the enemy is not shooting me faster, either, why the heck is that happening? A visual effect that tricks the mind, as a side effect from game being sped up?

Also, bit curious whether low ping might affect the results somehow (20-30 ping).

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ShadowRunner » 06 Jan 2013, 12:45

I have very low ping, but not on Poor's server, however my fps is constantly low, below 75. I think it was the opposite, the time was shortest when stood still, and increased depending on some movement of some sort.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby synthetic » 08 Jan 2013, 03:22

I asked Poor about scope time today, and since he said that he doesn't find it to be significant, I've tried to find words as to how one can explain what that difference means or amounts to.

At 60 fps you have scope animation.

At 150 fps you don't have scope animation.

Whether it is significant that some actually have scope animation and others don't.. well, you guys can answer to that by yourselves, I think.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 08 Jan 2013, 11:29

To be honest.. when it comes to scope, I more worry about ping.
I've often had the case that I pressed the scope key and scope activated with one second of delay, which is a pretty long time in a fight.
Basically you are right, when it comes to scope animation, no scope-in delay is an advantagate to the default little scope in delay.
However, I'd count that to fine tuning already, which is relevant when the other problems are solved. :-k

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby synthetic » 08 Jan 2013, 15:09

I do whole heartedly agree with the entirety of your post there.

I myself am puzzled still by the results, because kill time or death time definitely seems increased before the tested fire rates. Admittedly it might be a summary of all the little enhancements such as no scope delay and so forth, or as Blade pointed out: vsync lags down mouse considerably, but there is just something awfully off about it. Playing with 60 fps (no vsync) or 100 fps is like night and day for experienced 0auger like me, and so far fire rate tests haven't shown why. If you take off the time I've been inactive, my gaming time in dxmp still clocks in at around 6-7 years of daily activity. That amount of years teaches one to trust the senses.

From that same experience, I do not recommend anyone playing competitively with lower than 100 fps cap, because you will have a handicap before those who skip scope animation.

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ~Blade~ » 08 Jan 2013, 15:19

If poor (hopefully) makes something to fix the fire rates then the affects/advantages of super high fps is considerably minimised.

Why vsync delays the mouse very slightly? idk but if we did we would know more about whether we could stop it with some dx mod, but we can't say so for sure atm.

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby Cozmo » 08 Jan 2013, 19:59

I'm guessing the scope zooming is done each frame, so at a higher fps it completes it way faster. I used to think the instant scoping at 100 was a huge advantage, but I can keep up at 60 by just shooting while it's still zooming in. It is a bit trickier though.

Imo, everyone should play with VSync off, it really makes games feel jittery for me.

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby Poor » 08 Jan 2013, 22:12

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:To be honest.. when it comes to scope, I more worry about ping.
I've often had the case that I pressed the scope key and scope activated with one second of delay, which is a pretty long time in a fight.
Basically you are right, when it comes to scope animation, no scope-in delay is an advantagate to the default little scope in delay.
However, I'd count that to fine tuning already, which is relevant when the other problems are solved. :-k

It really doesn't make any sense that the client has to wait for the server to toggle scope. Stuff like that needs to be client-side.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Framerate based action times; discussion - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 09 Jan 2013, 01:27

Well, making it clientside would solve the problem too, because then nobody would have a significant timing advantage either.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

Return to Questions about DeusEx