Board index Bugs, features and suggestions for the new board ]

DXSG_LibetyIsland

Author
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Darma » 14 May 2010, 15:55

I finished the first release of my first DXSG map: Liberty Island.
Maybe there is a lot of bug. I you found one, reply here.
This map is UNPROTECTED but:
You may NOT copy anything on the map (except the Rings which I copied from DXSG_Area51BunkerPUB)
You may edit the map, but if you want to publish it, send it to me here so I can validate it.
You may NOT change the name of the creator of the map, just add "Edited by your name" in the class DeusExLevelInfo
Copyright @ Darma (TheDarmaProjectLeader@Hotmail.com)

This map is really big, (11MG) so you can play on it with 30 players!
Attachments
DXSG_LibertyIsland.zip
Have Fun!
(7.75 MiB) Downloaded 726 times

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ~DJ~ » 14 May 2010, 16:46

i own da copyright foo

u nat ordar meeee

WILL TRY ASAP THIS POST IS NOT SPAM

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 14 May 2010, 16:47

I checked your map, and I have a couple words to say about it.

It's basically a good edit and I can see the time you must have spent with it because there's many editing on it. Some edits however will require fixing.

The main problem is that the map is just too huge. I realised you designed it for 30 players but the truth is that the activity on DXMP is so low that you'll be lucky to have 10 players playing at the same time. However, if you manage to get 30 people interested in your map and the game, you'll also need a descent server. That's going to cost a fortune, unless you have such server at home with descent connection and performance.

This map would've been fun to play on some years ago, when we had 50-70+ players online in the same time. Once we were given a server (Platoon) that actually had 30 people playing, most of the time it was full. But today, you'll have to edit this map big time to get people play on it. First of all, you'll have to completely erase or minify some areas, otherwise players (I'd say 5-10 if you're lucky) will get bored and leave because all they'll be doing is wandering around, collecting medkits and lams and having very little chance to encounter enemy. ShadowRunner used to design maps like that and not many of them turned out to be popular in the end, even though a relatively large number of online players were given. But again, that was years ago too.

My suggestions are:
Make shorter corridors. When playing your map, I had to use ghost mode so I don't get bored of discovering all the places, many of which are great by the way. For instance I really like the room with that shining eye table. The generator room is cool too. The empty rooms were disappointing though. Sometimes I would find myself running past a large corridor and ending up in an empty place which would lead me to another corridor and that's a bit annoying.
Synchronize movers. When locking the base down, the movement time of movers tend to be different, some of which are very slow, some of which are normal.
Don't make unneccesary changes to the original map, splitting one room into many other ruins the experience of encountering something familiar, which worked so well to the original DXSG maps (CMD, A51).
Mind the physical details. At the helipad you bended some walls to make them look somewhat destroyed or something but you forgot that a wall that's bended over so much would simply fall over, rather than standing still. Also, try to decide whether you're making this a DayAfter style map or a normal one.
The Statue of Liberty is missing! What the hell dude! The trademark of the location is gone, you can hardly call it LibertyIsland :]

I can't think of more right now, I might give it a deeper check when I get home tomorrow and maybe come up with some more tips or something.

PS: If you have changes to make to your recently posted thread, use the EDIT button instead of posting a new topic.

Darma
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Darma » 14 May 2010, 17:26

System: Post deleted - Nothing to see here!

Darma
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Darma » 14 May 2010, 17:26

ok, now I'll compact the map and I'll see for the rest afther that. thank you.
oh, a bug. I post 2 same messages

Jima B
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Jima B » 15 May 2010, 04:43

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:I checked your map, and I have a couple words to say about it.

It's basically a good edit and I can see the time you must have spent with it because there's many editing on it. Some edits however will require fixing.

The main problem is that the map is just too huge. I realised you designed it for 30 players but the truth is that the activity on DXMP is so low that you'll be lucky to have 10 players playing at the same time. However, if you manage to get 30 people interested in your map and the game, you'll also need a descent server. That's going to cost a fortune, unless you have such server at home with descent connection and performance.

This map would've been fun to play on some years ago, when we had 50-70+ players online in the same time. Once we were given a server (Platoon) that actually had 30 people playing, most of the time it was full. But today, you'll have to edit this map big time to get people play on it. First of all, you'll have to completely erase or minify some areas, otherwise players (I'd say 5-10 if you're lucky) will get bored and leave because all they'll be doing is wandering around, collecting medkits and lams and having very little chance to encounter enemy. ShadowRunner used to design maps like that and not many of them turned out to be popular in the end, even though a relatively large number of online players were given. But again, that was years ago too.

My suggestions are:
Make shorter corridors. When playing your map, I had to use ghost mode so I don't get bored of discovering all the places, many of which are great by the way. For instance I really like the room with that shining eye table. The generator room is cool too. The empty rooms were disappointing though. Sometimes I would find myself running past a large corridor and ending up in an empty place which would lead me to another corridor and that's a bit annoying.
Synchronize movers. When locking the base down, the movement time of movers tend to be different, some of which are very slow, some of which are normal.
Don't make unneccesary changes to the original map, splitting one room into many other ruins the experience of encountering something familiar, which worked so well to the original DXSG maps (CMD, A51).
Mind the physical details. At the helipad you bended some walls to make them look somewhat destroyed or something but you forgot that a wall that's bended over so much would simply fall over, rather than standing still. Also, try to decide whether you're making this a DayAfter style map or a normal one.
The Statue of Liberty is missing! What the hell dude! The trademark of the location is gone, you can hardly call it LibertyIsland :]

I can't think of more right now, I might give it a deeper check when I get home tomorrow and maybe come up with some more tips or something.

PS: If you have changes to make to your recently posted thread, use the EDIT button instead of posting a new topic.

I may have to contact you to review maps more often, that's really good advice. D:

Note that a good way for making large maps player friendly is to simply open them up a little more, and close off alternate routes.

~DJ~ wrote:ANOTHER ONE TO QUOTE ME ON THE SIGNATURE. SOON... I'LL BE TAKING OVER EVERYONE'S SIGNATURE! Mwhahahahaha!
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Mastakilla » 15 May 2010, 11:49

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:The Statue of Liberty is missing! What the hell dude! The trademark of the location is gone, you can hardly call it LibertyIsland :]

But it's LibetyIsland! Not Liberty!

:alc:

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 15 May 2010, 12:12

LOL TRUE
but still wtf man.. it's not even a word! :)

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ~DJ~ » 15 May 2010, 13:02

i remember i made a DXSG_LibertyIsland

OMG COPY KATER

That Resident Evil Mod
————

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 15 May 2010, 13:54

wrong, clearly he made LibetyIsland

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ShadowRunner » 15 May 2010, 13:57

dxsg activity is always cool but Sasquatch is right, we need smaller dxsg maps, or with quick access to all areas. Can't wait to see the final version. btw, who is darma?

Darma
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Darma » 15 May 2010, 15:27

I'm still here, I work a lot to make a smaller map.

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby ~DJ~ » 15 May 2010, 16:39

so yeh. I heard you were thinking to use the stargate mod for tnm2?

That Resident Evil Mod
————

Darma
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Darma » 15 May 2010, 18:08

before but I think nobody won't accept that :)

Darma
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: DXSG_LibetyIsland - Postby Darma » 15 May 2010, 18:09

that must be great

Return to Bugs, features and suggestions for the new board