Board index Bugs, features and suggestions for the new board ]

Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterations

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterations - Postby Whiplash » 19 Oct 2012, 06:11

Hery guys, back in the days when I led XPS I thought of having a central, or super, clan forums. By that I mean that a number of clans would share the same board, with individual sections for each clan. The advantagte of this would be to bring the remaining DX players together, under a single "super" board, where general DX, screenshots, music, off topic chat sections and so on would be shared among all participating clans. With extra interaction between clans, there might even be more clan wars and stuff.

In this case, FGS would offer to create a subsection of the main board with a number of sub-boards as the "guest" clan required.

I also suggest consolidating the "Dusterstadl" section because it doesn't seem to be all that active.

Also, I've noticed that some forums, like spam, are somewhat cluttered, in the front page theres like 5 sections: subforums, announcements, news, stickies, topics.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 19 Oct 2012, 12:11

I like the idea of getting all the active clans together in a single place, I'd vote yes for creating a subforum for that if it came to a poll, but I guess we'd have to see if the other clans are interested in this at all.
Also, we had a discussion about erasing the subforums that we don't use and merging a couple places to make the structure more logical, but I think that was about a year or two ago and people generally didn't agree, don't remember why. I think that would be a different discussion though.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ShadowRunner » 19 Oct 2012, 14:18

I like the idea very much.
I'd try to prevent it becoming player-dominated like the FB group. No obscenity, politics, spam, off-topic chat etc. Just pure news, info, releases, links, serious critique and feedback only permissable in the right places.

I saw Chin's CS maps have hundreds of downloads, when properly presented and targeted, large interest can still be generated if the project relates to other games communities or has some news value or updates the game in some way.
I think this could be used not just for community benefit, but for ensuring a supply of people trying the game.
In my day, it was Planet Deus Ex and which forums people mentioned in game.

Sites and Servers.
Multiplayer Guides.
Map/Mod archives/Links.
Gallery.
News and Events.
Modding.
Feedback/Review.
Other Links.
Competitions/Donate.
Clan Wars/Recruiting.

It seems like a hard job, because info is going to change constantly and some clans or indie ppl will be better than others at using the super-board and keeping info up to date etc.

Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby Mastakilla » 19 Oct 2012, 17:01

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:I like the idea of getting all the active clans together in a single place, I'd vote yes for creating a subforum for that if it came to a poll, but I guess we'd have to see if the other clans are interested in this at all.
Also, we had a discussion about erasing the subforums that we don't use and merging a couple places to make the structure more logical, but I think that was about a year or two ago and people generally didn't agree, don't remember why. I think that would be a different discussion though.

Nostalgic reasons, iirc

I like the idea, but I'm not sure which clan would be interested in being on a sub forum of FGS... Would like it if they do want it though

Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby Whiplash » 20 Oct 2012, 07:47

There would be some issues, mainly most clans would want (at minimum) a public and private clan forum. The problem is that only some people, i.e. clan members should be able to see the private forum for each guest clan.

That means that either the leader of the guest clan would have to be given some administration powers, or they would have to be able to rely on FGS administrators to promote forum members into (or demot them out of) their clan group, as and when the need arises. In either case, they would have to be OK with FGS admins being able to read their forum.

But for clans who would be ok with this, I think it would be a good idea.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ShadowRunner » 20 Oct 2012, 14:50

Mastakilla wrote: I like the idea, but I'm not sure which clan would be interested in being on a sub forum of FGS... Would like it if they do want it though

This is the problem, that FGS is almost a brand and the term "gravity-world" equates with FGS, Germans, Altfire, maps etc, not to mention it has the word *loving* in it. "gravity-world" bears no relation to Deus Ex also.

"Planet Deus Ex" is a better name than gravity-world or *loving* Germans etc. Super-board would need correct branding and positioning if it is to connect with the outside world and relate to DX.

In my mind I had imagined the super-board to be something like Factory forums, totally independent of any clan administration and to include representatives from all clans, including clanless. If it is easier to use an existing forum, then fair enough, but if I had the choice I would design something purpose-built, from the name downwards.

But roll on the day that I go to one website and can find all others...

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby chin.democ. » 20 Oct 2012, 14:52

Something tied in with Eidos would be the only option imo.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ShadowRunner » 20 Oct 2012, 14:58

chin.democ. wrote:Something tied in with Eidos would be the only option imo.

I didn't want to be the one to say this, but I think this makes sense.

James mentioned the guys were doing a site in their spare time, but I don't know if he was referring to the tumblr page or something else we haven't seen yet, but it does seem as if the EM community team are big fans of DX1.

When we first approached EM, the game wasn't released and zero copies had been sold, things have changed massively. Since then I did get a pm encouraging me to explore further into events and conventions and offering support for this.
So there is a willingness to look after us to some degree I think.

There was a thread on EM forums about this exact topic too. I think I pitched them the idea of opening up the Deus Ex Central website, so we could upload stuff, talk, post news/announcements etc. This was pre-release I think. Then I heard what James said, so I dropped it.

I'm not sure how involved they would get though, community and marketing team don't see entirely eye to eye I suspect.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ShadowRunner » 20 Oct 2012, 14:58

System: Post deleted - Nothing to see here!

Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby Fear » 22 Oct 2012, 00:00

The game isn't active enough for all of these things imo, i can't see it improving anymore either, dx3 was the pretty much last attempt at possibly getting a mass of new players join the community, pretty much everybody left knows whats what.

2004-2014
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby Mastakilla » 22 Oct 2012, 00:11

Fear wrote:The game isn't active enough for all of these things imo, i can't see it improving anymore either, dx3 was the pretty much last attempt at possibly getting a mass of new players join the community, pretty much everybody left knows whats what.

Still, it's about scraping what's left of the community together

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby TheWolf » 22 Oct 2012, 02:40

I think if we brought all the clans together under one forum we would get a lot more work done, questions answered faster, and an all in all more active forum... There will eventually be a time in DXMP where we should do this because the players will be so low.. Why make clans sub forums of FGS? Why doesn't all the clans gather on a completely separate forum like DXMP freeforums? And for every clan, why can't representatives be elected to make decisions on the forums? Also i'm sure clans want private forums i'm sure that can be done easily. I know what you're thinking about representatives... Random people with one person clans on this forum would have power... Well then why don't we set limits on the power of clans on this forum? The number of members in a clan could perhaps determine how many representatives come out of a clan to vote on forum decisions. This way people would be getting more accurately represented...

Ingame: Sev
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 Oct 2012, 14:33

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Fear wrote:The game isn't active enough for all of these things imo

I know you are talking specifically about DXMP, but 2 million copies of DXHR have been sold already? That's some BIG activity in DX. Your future has just been handed to you on a gold plate, nothing to do with Hengsha, but there is your captive audience of 2 million people, still at this moment fresh on a tide of PR.

i can't see it improving anymore either

I said that too, before Anna, MiniMTL, Cozmo RPG and Poor's augs came out. The community has only just arrived at a position where it works together, is actively modding and is able to tackle previously impossible tasks. I think the best is actually yet to come. 20 ppl in THC server last night, things aren't that bad.

dx3 was the pretty much last attempt at possibly getting a mass of new players join the community

DX3 was a single player game in a different engine. We made EM look good and since the release, make them look good in a different way. If no-one was interested in DX3, the bridge would not exist, now all you have to do is walk dxmp back across the bridge in the same way. While EM will help, it is places like Steam, Xfire and games sites that will be the most useful, where people are already looking for MP experience, not an updated SP experience.

It's not the last attempt and it wasn't an attempt. EM won't attempt it either I think for some time. There is definitely life in DXMP yet.

pretty much everybody left knows whats what.

The game is "dying" because there is no influx of players. There is no influx of players, because there is no PR or marketing being done for multiplayer, by anyone anywhere. Very few people in the community, bother to contact the outside world, but when they do the results are great, it got a little feature in PC Gamer etc, proof that it is possible to deal with these people and there are those who would support multiplayer.

Contact with the outside world is the only thing that will stop this game from dying. I have a funny feeling that hardly anyone will understand this or do anything about it and we will be having the same conversation next year. A super-board would help that surely. I just personally don't think it should be a sub-forum of FGS, which has "*loving*" in the brand name and neither brand name relate to DX.

There are a million websites about DX1, but nothing for multiplayer. It's pretty obvious that this is one of the reasons there are no new players. There is nothing for Steam, Xfire or EM to shout about at all and we've failed so far to show the improvements.

Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby Whiplash » 22 Oct 2012, 15:35

Gravity-World isn't profane, but the site might have to be rebranded if we were going to do this:

So instead of having the FGS logo, you would have a generic Deus Ex logo. Other alterations would be needed, ending in FGS itself becoming a "guest" clan on this board, with those contributing to the server cost being admins, both over FGS section and other "guest" clans.

But I think this board, having resources like disk space and not being one of those freebie forums with advertising and security limitations (like not being allowed to make and restore backups) would make a good home for other clans.

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Make the board a super-board and other suggested alterat - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 22 Oct 2012, 22:40

What I'd think might work better is [FGS] offering a subforum with moderator access (for the subforum only) to those clans that would want one. They could represent themselves here as well as in a private, free forum if they desire. This website has too much history to simply give up for other clans, many of which just come and go anyway.

Return to Bugs, features and suggestions for the new board