No votes

Total votes : 20

Author
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby anax » 07 Oct 2015, 11:55

One vote for each set of options: Choose what mod you prefer: ANNA or miniMTL? How many player slots? Default tick rate, 60 tick, or another?.......

Two of the virtual servers I host will be available, 3rd turned off to free up memory i guess. Setup is as quick as tweaking INI settings and saving a copy of the orig until the match is over.

I was going to add a poll option for banning Phantom & his buttbuddies or not, in the interest of letting as many players as possible join the match, but I decided to stick to upholding what DXMP has left of any standards as a multiplayer game, regardless of player count or frequency of playing.
This isn't a decision based on highbrow seriousness or trying to bring back high hopes. This is based on ensuring DXMP is taken back from trolls and known cheaters and made more enjoyable for those who still like to play - as all games should be; free of known abusers that degrade the quality for others.

TL;DR: I'm doing the job a goddamn admin is supposed to do. Phantom will be banned from attending without question.

It pains me that this has to be repeated by multiple people: He and his closest speedwanking cuckmates have been cheating for longer than some of us have been *loving* playing - he's been shown time and time again to cheat under alias. If anyone has been blind to this pretty much objective fact for too long maybe you should remove your head from Baguette-boy's ass.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby anax » 07 Oct 2015, 12:16

EXTRA note: I didn't want to overload the poll and initial post with too much crap, but I need one last bit of input from experienced players and server hosters in addition to the tick rate of the server should I change Static Update rate and Dynamic Update rate to anything in particular???

I recently began coding for DXMP alongside Kai (TheClown) creator of the awesome RCON admin tool. I could go into a whole other topic about coding, modding, bug abuse, and bug fixing in DXMP, but that's for another day, In doing research about those things I noticed a few servers have the above values set differently sometimes, so I need opinions, please!

EDIT: Also one last thing, it should be obvious to most people with sense I am banning Phantom because this is a pre-arranged match, call it serious if you want, whatever. It's also a fighting server, in NON fighting servers noone really gives two shits, as long as players are having fun, and that's not to say that wielding the ban hammer is a duty undertaken by players who don't like fun - We simply do not like painfully obvious cheating.

See you in the match everyone!

Alessi
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
Malta

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby Alessi » 07 Oct 2015, 13:00

anax wrote:TL;DR: I'm doing the job a goddamn admin is supposed to do. Phantom will be banned from attending without question.

It pains me that this has to be repeated by multiple people: He and his closest speedwanking cuckmates have been cheating for longer than some of us have been *loving* playing - he's been shown time and time again to cheat under alias. If anyone has been blind to this pretty much objective fact for too long maybe you should remove your head from Baguette-boy's ass.

hahahahaha :bwahaha:

On another note, I'm really not sure what to vote for cos I currently do not have enough knowledge to vote rationally :(
Btw have we decided on game type?

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby machete » 07 Oct 2015, 14:43

Machete approves of this thread.

I voted 20 slots because I'm optimistic. If we could pack out a 20 slot server in a 15-year-old game, that would be a send-off that few games could ever hope to match.

A!BSolid
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby A!BSolid » 07 Oct 2015, 19:15

Leave Phantom unbanned.

Give him a fair trial.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby [FGS]Chees » 08 Oct 2015, 01:17

Anna, 20, default tick. I might be ticked off before we start so any higher is playing with fire :-D

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby synthetic » 08 Oct 2015, 09:48

I voted 2000 players like godz server and 900 tickrate. Also Zyme.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby [FGS]Chees » 08 Oct 2015, 13:45

I'm a noob wtf is tick rate!? :-$

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby anax » 08 Oct 2015, 19:26

A!BSolid wrote:Leave Phantom unbanned.

Give him a fair trial.

Lol no.

Edit: I've literally gone into detail for the 100th time on the concrete reasons why myself and others dislike and/or disagree with Phantom.
Please do me a favour and this many metabolic end product can be sorted out and you will come to your senses: TRY asking Phantom to record first hand evidence, by himself, that he doesn't cheat, see what response you get. Lmfao.
if you ask enough people and read enough topics about cheating in DXMP you'll find he's been doing this for up to 8 years. Why do you think when there was more activity a few years ago almost every 2nd player would notice his speed-hacking and bug abuse within seconds of joining a *loving* server.

Last edited by anax on 08 Oct 2015, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Alessi
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
Malta

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby Alessi » 08 Oct 2015, 19:27

[FGS]Chees wrote:I'm a noob wtf is tick rate!? :-$

Only tick rate I know of is the one used in financial trading #-o

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby anax » 08 Oct 2015, 19:56

I don't know the full definition myself either, but roughly said: Tick rate is the speed at which everything in the game is updated. Modern games have like 64 or 164 Tickrate, I heard Battlefield does, anyway...

Tick works on "float" or "floating point" values (Basically fancy way of saying decimal) so can be really small time intervals.
Timer() on the other hand works in seconds.
Tick = *loving* fast.
Timer = Integer (not decimal) values, seconds or tens-of-seconds long or whatever.

The reason we often see objects spazzing out like Darko's cousins is because the netcode of Deus Ex is basically REALLY SHITE, it's trying to send the information about the moving object to every player before each update cycle.

Alessi
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
Malta

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby Alessi » 08 Oct 2015, 20:44

anax wrote:I don't know the full definition myself either, but roughly said: Tick rate is the speed at which everything in the game is updated. Modern games have like 64 or 164 Tickrate, I heard Battlefield does, anyway...

Tick works on "float" or "floating point" values (Basically fancy way of saying decimal) so can be really small time intervals.
Tick = *loving* fast.
Timer = Integer (not decimal) values, seconds or tens-of-seconds long or whatever.

The reason we often see objects spazzing out like Darko's cousins is because the netcode of Deus Ex is basically REALLY SHITE, it's trying to send the information about the moving object to every player before each update cycle.

So something to do with client to server info and vice-versa?

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby anax » 08 Oct 2015, 20:55

Alessi wrote:
anax wrote:I don't know the full definition myself either, but roughly said: Tick rate is the speed at which everything in the game is updated. Modern games have like 64 or 164 Tickrate, I heard Battlefield does, anyway...

Tick = *loving* fast.

So something to do with client to server info and vice-versa?

Err you could say that yeah :) . I think it's all server-side, but some things are replicated differently.
Replication is basically how client to server data is handled and vice-versa, and also one of the main things that in DXMP is extremely borken, many more things could be fixed by pretty much recoding almost every class to better "replicate" over the net, because DX was not originally coded to work online.

Kai and Nobody know way more about this stuff, anyhow :bwahaha:

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby synthetic » 09 Oct 2015, 09:01

About practical aspects: Tick rate also affects how the game "feels" or plays out, how fast weapons "seem" and so forth in general. This can extend all the way to a setting that "breaks" weapons by turning a relatively balanced weapon into ridiculous overkill weapon of choice (I think ste's server achieved that when they tested very high rate values).

Or from another angle: most all active servers past 10 years have used tick rate 60 or so, not counting beginner servers. If you have played both in dedicated beginner servers and dedicated paid servers set up by pros, you might've noticed differences such as higher damage exchange.

Tick rate is one of game balancing components, its actual functions aside. Higher tick rates for dxmp servers were discussed 14 years ago, but brief experimentation with TR100-120 aside, 60 has remained preferred "new" value. Note that this is for old patches or new patches that do not significantly change how the server and game exchange information - changes to netcode. For very new patches that significantly change net coding, it is best to read supplied documentation and consult with the coder. AKA if you use newest minimtl, all your old tick rate values might break game and you'll need to use "its" default or experiment and find new average.

Note that server tick rate affects all players equally, not counting lag component in, and that differences between small values like 20-to-40-to-60 might be too small for less active players to notice. Having lot of practice in default 20 or 40 TR server and going straight into 100 or 120 tick rate server (overkill) should make difference immediately obvious even to the less experienced players. I suppose, in theory, you also have n times higher likelihood of getting a GPF at higher rates but thats a rational speculation.

I guess another way to describe tick rate is that it makes game faster without making it faster..

Last edited by synthetic on 09 Oct 2015, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: SHOWDOWN - 2015 match server setup - Postby Poor » 09 Oct 2015, 09:07

The significant thing you will notice with a higher tickrate is better hit registration. With the default tickrate, the server will only receive updates of your crosshair location 20 times a second. It also has the effect of adding 1/20th of a second (50ms) to your latency. Also, DX doesn't have lag compensation for shooting like modern games do. These facts explain why hit registration is so awful and why pistol fights can last so long. If the player hitboxes weren't so large we probably wouldn't hit anything!

Return to Deus Ex